Characters: The Inhumans
open/close all folders
The Royal Family
The Royal Family as a whole
Blackagar Boltagon (Black Bolt)
"Imagine you could never make another sound, not for the rest of your life. Not a sigh, not a yawn, not a single word ever."The King of Attilan. Due to his uncontrollably destructive voice, he remains completely silent most of the time.
— Inhumans #1: Sonic Youth
- Depower: After Infinity, his voice isn't as strong as it was.
- The Good King: Cares about his people more than anything in the world, and is always ready to defend them to the last stand.
- Goo Goo Godlike: Even his cries were incredibly destructive (This was back when Inhumans underwent Terrigenesis at birth).
- Flying Brick
- Happily Married: With Medusa, most of the time.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: So powerful he can never speak. He is so mentally disciplined that he doesn't even talk in his sleep. His powers are so destructive the Inhumans' Genetic Council has forbidden him from reproducing.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: After being abducted and held captive by the Skrulls for an unknown length of time, the first thing Black Bolt did on getting out was to hunt the Skrulls down and try to wipe them out.
- Shock and Awe: Has this power in addition to his Make Me Wanna Shout one.
- Steven Ulysses Perhero: Well, take a look at his full name...
- The Voiceless: A necessity, considering his main power; he mainly communicates using body/sign language and telepathy, usually to his wife, Medusa. However, when someone translates for him, he proves to have a very dry wit.
Black Bolt's wife and Queen of Attilan
- Action Girl
- Fiery Redhead
- Happily Married: Usually, though some of the things they've gone through have strained their marriage.
- Heel-Face Turn: Was originally introduced as a member of the Frightful Four, enemies of the Fantastic Four, though she was suffering from Laser-Guided Amnesia at the time.
- The High Queen
- Mama Bear: She's willing to stand up to the Genetic Counsel and even Black Bolt to protect her son.
- Prehensile Hair: Her incredibly long red hair which cannot be cut unless she allows it to be. And if it is, it can move independently of her.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: After Secret Invasion, she becomes increasingly snide and rude, especially towards her sister. And then she gets worse when Black Bolt apparently died in the T-Bomb detonation. It's died down since Black Bolt came back.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Since she's long gotten used to movement on the edge of her vision, what with her hair, her peripheral vision is her blind spot.
Maximus Boltagon / Maximus the Mad
- "Who's the got the voice now, brother? Who's got the voice?'"— Silent War #2
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Spent decades trying to usurp his brother's throne. Then, in 2007, when he actually accomplished this, he got bored with all the normal duties of ruling a kingdom. He quickly handed the throne back to his brother when he returned.
- Cain and Abel: Deeply envies his brother's position as king and marriage to Medusa.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Sometimes.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: To his brother.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Due to the creepy, crazy things he says.
- Freudian Excuse: Subverted. He likes to frequently rub into Black Bolt's face the fact that Black Bolt caused his insanity, and even seems to actually believe on some level that his personality is all Black Bolt's fault. The truth, however, is that he was still an antisocial jerkass even before that happened; his madness just exacerbates it.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door
- Humans Are Bastards: Holds this view, but on at least one occasion he's been impressed by it.
- Labcoat of Science and Medicine: Frequently wears a custom black one with white trim & designs on it.
- Large Ham
- Manipulative Bastard: Has manipulated both the Kree and the humans into attacking Attilan to undermine his brother's rule.
- Mad Scientist: Oh, is he ever. However, sometimes he's on the Inhumans' side.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Mind Control: His main ability.
- Pop-Cultured Badass/Wicked Cultured: An odd mix of both, due to a broad fascination with Earth culture. He ranges from quoting the Bible, Churchill, and Shakespeare and other poets, to attending baseball games, talking about "I [heart] Gorgon" posters, and joking about opening cans of "whoop-arse" on people.
- Talkative Loon
Son of Black Bolt and Medusa and Heir to the Throne.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has a snide comment for just about everything when around the Future Foundation teens.
- Death Glare: Literally.
- Emo Teen: When he's a part of the Future Foundation, he is essentially a black-clad, brooding and moody, aloof teenager.
- Power Born of Madness: He inherited the power capacity of his parents, but the mental instability of his uncle. Eventually he becomes more stable.
- Put on a Bus: Disappeared for decades. It turned out he'd been taken away and imprisoned underneath Attilan.
- Troubled, but Cute: If Bentley 23's complaining about the girls at the Future Foundation loving his good looks and brooding nature is to be believed.
Black Bolt's cousin.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: His ability.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: He was forbidden to undergo Terrigenesis due to how dangerous his powers would be. However, he still has superhuman strength that all unaltered Inhumans have. He also trained in martial arts and is mentally disciplined enough to perceive flaws and weak points in almost any complex system.
- Badass Preacher: Attended a seminary.
- Sherlock Scan: Is capable of picking up on his enemies' attack patterns and discerning their weaknesses in seconds.
- The Smart Guy: Is Black Bolt's primary tactician (though Black Bolt himself is no slouch in that department).
Cousin and bodyguard to Black Bolt. Also trains members of the Royal Guard
- The Berserker: He's got quite the temper. And it got worse after the second exposure.
- The Big Guy: Of the Inhuman royal family.
- Commander Contrarian: To Black Bolt. Once challenged him for the throne when it seemed that Black Bolt was allowing humans to attack Attilan.
- A Father to His Men: A mentor to the Royal Guard cadets he trains.
- Fauns and Satyrs: Resembles them due to gaining bull's legs from Terrigenesis. It gets worse after a second exposure when he's taken captive by the U.S. government.
- Shockwave Stomp: His main power.
TritonBrother of Karnak.
- Fish People: What he looks like due to his Terrigenesis. It's apparently one of the most extreme ones the Inhumans have ever seen.
- Mobile Fishbowl: Has to wear one as he cannot breath air.
Sister of Medusa. Mother of Luna. Ex-girlfriend of Johnny Storm, ex-wife of Quicksilver, and wife of Ronan the Accuser.
- Action Mom
- Arranged Marriage: With Ronan the Accuser. She wasn't exactly happy about the idea, but she eventually found common ground with Ronan. They eventually separated when the Inhumans gave up control of the Kree empire.
- Elemental Powers: Has all four.
- Flight: Is capable of this, due to her ability to control the air.
- Interspecies Romance: She's quite fond of this, having been in relationships with Johnny Storm, Quicksilver, and Ronan the Accuser.
- Only Sane Man: During War of Kings, she was the only one who argued against the war with the Shi'Ar, and the only one who bothered listening to the Guardians of the Galaxy's warnings. Even after one of them tried to take her as a hostage.
LunaDaughter of Crystal and her husband Quicksilver. For years, she didn't have powers, until a slightly insane Pietro exposed her to Terrigenesis.
- The Empath: Can read a person's mental and emotional state through their "auras".
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Morality Chain: She's one of the few people Quicksilver is willing to be nice to for more than five seconds. His lying about his misdeeds after M-Day soured her to him, but as of the most recent volume of X-Factor, they've reconciled.
- Morality Pet: Magneto loves and accepts his granddaughter, even before she had any powers. Woe betide anyone who dares hurt her.
- Nonhuman Humanoid Hybrid: She is half mutant and half Inhuman.
- Tangled Family Tree: She's a Maximoff. It comes with the territory.
LockjawA large, dog-like companion of the Inhuman Royal Family. It is unclear if he is an Inhuman or from a different species.
TonajaA citizen of Attilan and member of the Royal Guard. She is part of a group selected to attend a human college.
AlarisA citizen of Attilan and member of the Royal Guard. He is part of a group selected to attend a human college.
- Na´ve Newcomer: On Earth, which leads to him being taken advantage of by locals.
- Super Strength: His main ability, causing jealousy in his friend San.
SanA citizen of Attilan and the son of a Royal Guard member. He is part of a group selected to attend a human college.
- Interspecies Romance: Dates a girl named Stacey while attending the University of Wisconsin - Madison. Though it starts off as a Prank Date that some sorority girls dare her to do, Stacey starts to genuinely care for San.
- Jock Dad, Nerd Son: After his Terrigenesis, San believes his Royal Guard father is disappointed in him. Though to his credit, the father insists it's not true.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Before Terrigenesis, he was a Lovable Jock who dreamed of joining the Royal Guard like his father. After the ritual, he is smaller, weaker, and his main ability is to shape matter with his mind. He is sent to go train as an artist.
NahreesA citizen of Attilan and member of the Royal Guard. She is part of a group selected to attend a human college.
- Alpha Bitch: The closest thing to this trope in Attilan. Tonaja in particular hates her.
- Flight: Due to her electrical abilities
- Interspecies Romance: Dated Damon Hart, a Royal Brat human while attending UW Madison.
- Shock and Awe: She is constantly generating electric arcs.
JolenA citizen of Attilan. He is part of a group selected to attend a human college.
- Green Thumb: His main power and how he disposes of the humans he kills.
- Fantastic Racism
- Kill All Humans: While attending a human university, he comes to hate humans for what they've done to the Earth.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Kills several humans attending an opera, on purpose and against orders, making the already bad situation between The US government and Attilan so much worse. It kick-starts a war between America and Attilan that eventually results in Maximus in charge.
DewozA citizen of Attilan.
- Servant Race: After Terrigenesis, he takes on the appearance of an Alpha Primitive, the caveman-like race of genetically bred laborers. This causes worry amongst the Inhumans over their evolutionary future. Dewoz's form is revealed to be caused by Maximus's interference.
- Teleportation: Able to teleport through any reflective surface.
ReaderAn Inhuman who spends his time travelling the world searching for others of his kind. He can make anything he read become reality, a power that frightened his peers so much that they blinded him. As such, he carries a set of braille tablets with him in order to access his ability.
- Blind Weaponmaster: As good with a staff as anybody.
- Handicapped Badass: Blind, but can still put up a fight without relying on his powers. And when he does use them, look out.
- Reality Warper: His power makes anything he reads a reality. After being blinded he's been reduced to single-word braille tablets in order to use his ability. So far he's been able to see through his dog's eyes ("See"), stop and reverse time ("Stop" and "Back" respectively), "Fly", and teleport "Go".
- Rule of Three: He can only read three times a day before needing to recharge.
- Simple Staff: His Weapon of Choice.
Seemingly ordinary people who experienced Terrigenesis during Infinity and discovered their inhuman heritage.
Kamala Khan/Ms. MarvelSee Ms. Marvel (2014) tropes about Kamala.
Mark Sim/HaechiSee New Warriors tropes about Mark.
Dante Pertuz/InfernoA pyrokinetic drummer who underwent Terrigenesis along with his mother, who did not survive. He was personally rescued from Lash by Queen Medusa and became one of the first NuHumans to reside on Attilan. He initially only agrees to live there with the promise that his pregnant sister (with possibly-inhuman child) would be looked after, but eventually warms up to the rest of the court.
- Clothing Damage: Unless he's wearing his Inhuman tailored bodysuit, use of his powers burns his clothes off if he envelops himself in flame, often showing off his surprisingly toned physique.
- Emotional Powers: Before he got his training, although he still suffers from Power Incontinence from time to time. As a bit of an Inversion, it's also been briefly mentioned early on that his emergence from Terrigenesis has caused him to begin acting more on edge than his usual laid-back natured self was used to pre-Terrigenesis, particularly regarding his revenge-seeking, somewhat murderous attitude toward Lash at first who he assumed was responsible for his mom's death.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Jason after they end up sharing an apartment together. Dante also acts as a surrogate older brother for Jason.
- How Do I Shot Web?: He kept flaming on with his temper before he got some training from Gorgon. Apparently Gorgon has dealt with fire-powers before, and the best way to put them out is to dunk them in a pool.
- Meaningful Rename: Early on, while training him in the use of his powers, Gorgon suggests he takes on a new name as is Inhuman tradition as a means to better embrace and master his new life and circumstances, an idea tha Dante takes to heart after his sister gives him his new name Inferno. He even suggests this to Jason later on for the same reasons.
- Mr. Fanservice: He tends to end up shirtless after his powers burn through his clothing.
- Playing with Fire: He can generate fire all over his body, often transforming into a lava-like form when he expends his power in large amounts.
- Power Incontinence: Tends to suffer this on and off. After burning himself out taking down The Unspoken, he struggles to light up for a time, and even with the training he received, in issue 13, he still accidentally lights himself on fire while he was drumming and had to be tossed miles away into the river just to be put out. Some speculate that one of the roles Johnny Storm will have in The Uncanny Inhumans FCBD issue is being a personal tutor to Dante, helping him to properly overcome whatever is causing his recurring moments of Power Incontinence.
- Punny Name: Dante's Inhuman alias is Inferno. He self-admits that it's kind of "on the noes", but embraces the name nonetheless.
Jason/FlintA teenage boy from Minnesota who gains the power to control stones and minerals. He was initially chosen by Lash to become a member of Orollan, but went with Medusa and Dante after a brief skirmish between the two forces.At first, after having undergone Terrigenesis, his right eye a is surrounded by unmoving rock and the rest of his skin was pebbled with stones. This was a small point of contention for him, as unlike Dante and a few others who looked normal when not using their powers, those stone would always stick out. However, with a little coaching from Iso and the help of a situation, he unconsciously removed those stones that were on his bodynote .
- How Do I Shot Web?: He had to train a lot with Gorgon before he could utilize his power properly. Similarly with removing the stones that were on his body.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Dante after they end up sharing an apartment together, with Dante acting as a sorta big brother substitute for Flint.
- Dishing Out Dirt: He can control rocks and stones, but not dirt. Still, his power does extend to the ability to control and destroy terrigen crystals. After a fashion, he's even shown to be able to envelop himself with the surrounding stone and use it as a Power Armor.
- Ship Tease: As first shown in the back up story in "Uncanny Inhumans 0", Flint and Iso.
- Power Glows: When he uses his ability, the stones he's controlling are enveloped in a blue glow.
- Power-Upgrading Deformation: To a much lesser extant than Inhumans like Naja, but still a contrast to those like Inferno who can pass as "normal" when not using their powers. He's eventually able to get past this, in part thanks to Iso's advice.
- The Woobie: Mentioned in all but the word In-Universe by Lineage as his "deal". Being the only one to survive Terrigenesis among his entire suburban town, just as a start, among other things. will do that to you.
NajaA young girl in hiding after her Terrigenesis, as it gave her a semi-reptilian appearance and large tail. She meets Jason and Dante on a chance trip outside of New Attilan, and after accompanying them back helps them reclaim the city from the rule of The Unspoken.
- Cute Monster Girl: She has an off-putting appearance at first, but as you get to know her you find her endearing and unassuming.
- Dark and Troubled Past: According to Lineage's musings to Eldrac, he presumes that she has this, as she is shown to be, by and large, much happier as an Inhuman and she doesn't talk about her past like the others tend to.
- Emotional Powers: When she feels positive emotions she can turn invisible, when she feels negative ones she turns bright colours.
- Invisibility: She can camouflage her body so long as she's confident in herself.
- Power-Upgrading Deformation: She can fly, turn invisible, and has enhanced strength and speed in her Inhuman form. Unfortunately for her, her new form is also that of a scaly-green lizard-person.
Xiaoyi/IsoA NuHuman encountered by Reader in China who can control pressure. After several adventures during their travels, he turns her over to the Ennilux Corporation, unaware that they plan on using her as the host body for their Capo.
- Fish out of Water: Comes off as this from time to time.
- Grand Theft Me: The Capo tries to have their minds forcibly swapped so that he can continue survival past his current host's demise. She decides she'd rather not die, and escapes Ennilux. Though it ultimately failed, part of the process has made her able to understand and speak fluent English, and presumably other languages as well.
- Gravity Master: Of sorts - she can control pressure in an area. It's closer to this than telekinesis, as it amounts to making things squeeze more or less.
- Groin Attack: She pulls this off with her powers after being attacked in Russia.
Frank McGee/NurA former cop and current Security Officer in New Attilan. He made his way to the refuge after his powers resulted in his wife leaving and the NYPD forcing him into early retirement.
- Blinded by the Light: His ability - his eyes emit light of varying intensity. He can control this, and often uses it to blind opponents.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Sees his Meaningful Rename of "Nur" to be this at first, but later appearances show that he's since warmed to the idea and the name.
- Fair Cop: Served as a detective for thirty years on the NYPD before his transformation.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Part of it has to do with going from a NYPD police officer to an outcast overnight and part of it is because he's one of the oldest NuHumans among the cast, but Frank is quite a cynical and pragmatic individual. He's definitely for the right thing and he does warm up to the idea and circumstance of being an Inhuman after a time, but he's certainly one of the more blunt and brazen of them with his words and ideas at times. In contrast to Lineage, who's approximately the same age as Nur, Nur is always honest about things.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: His ability doesn't have an off-switch, and his eyes are always glowing to some degree.
Gordon Nobili/LineageA washed-up mobster who gained the ability to obtain the knowledge of his ancestors, descendants, and distant relatives upon their death. He becomes an advisor to Medusa upon his arrival at New Attilan thanks to his ability to give her information on Black Bolt's whereabouts. Of course, he has his own agenda, and whatever it may be, it does not take New Attilan and its residents in its best interests.
- Ascended Extra: Was originally a minor character that appeared in a couple of issues of Thunderbolts before becoming a major recurring character in Inhumans.
- The Chessmaster: It helps that his power gives him access to a significant amount of intel before anybody else.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: He gains the knowledge of anybody in his bloodline upon their death, for starters. And said knowledge manifests in their faces appearing on his body, fully conscious, and seemingly under his persuasion.
- Multiple Head Case: Averted - though covered in the faces of deceased members of his bloodline, they all seem to be under his sway and never try to exert control over his body.
- Power-Upgrading Deformation: Zig-zagged. As a human, he was old, obese, and weak. As an Inhuman, he's much more youthful and muscular...but also bright purple, sprouting multiple horns, and covered in the faces of his dead relatives.
- Pet the Dog: His relationship with Eldrac. He is always nice to Eldrac and recently he gave him a body, something he hasn't had in years.
- Purple Is Powerful: He's bright purple as an Inhuman.