Comic Book / Inhumanity
Are you Inhuman?
is a Marvel Comics
event for 2013 and 2014. It is the aftermath of the storyline started with Infinity
and focuses on The Inhumans
In the aftermath of the destruction of the Inhuman floating city of Attilan, the Earth is covered in mutagenic Terrigen Mists. Across the planet, people who thought they were normal humans soon discovered the truth - they were, in fact, part Inhuman. In a World
still recovering from the restoration of the Mutant population in Avengers vs. X-Men
, can humanity handle a second
race of super powered "freaks
"? How do heroes and teams such as The Avengers
, the X-Men
and the Superior Spider-Man
handle an ever-change world of this scope? And what of the Inhuman Royal Family - Black Bolt is missing once more, larger population of Inhumans active and their city destroyed, what are they to do?
The bulk of the story is told through the titular "Inhumanity" mini-series with "Inhuman" mini-series dealing with the people who have been transformed. Main titles who are part of the story take up the suffix .INH.
See also: Charles Soule's Inhumans
, a depicting the aftermath of this story.
Inhumanity provides examples of:
- Affirmative Action Legacy: The crossover introduces Kamala Khan, a Pakistani-American Muslim from New Jersey who becomes the new Ms. Marvel after being exposed to the Mists, then is informed of her Inhuman heritage in Ms. Marvel #9.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: After coming to a realization about what is in store for the Inhumans, Karnak has a mental breakdown and commits suicide.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: A number of groups have decided to take advantage of these new powered beings and try to capture as many as possible.
- Heartbroken Badass: The Avengers find Karnak gathering skulls of Skrull Dire Wraths, just utterly lost after it all.
- Mass Empowering Event: The destruction of Attilan and the Terrigen Bomb.
- Never My Fault: During Iron Man's portion of the story, which ran alongside "Rings of the Mandarin", a recent Inhuman is coerced by one of the titular rings into believing that it was Tony who killed his family and, thus, exiled from being around the other Inhumans and not him .
- Recycled Plot: It's Earth X, but without half of the hero community dead or retired, far less cosmic stakes, and not in an Alternate Universe.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute:
- Many people think that these new Inhumans are just mutants running around with a new title. They are ordinary civilians who find out that they are a minority (though not as rare as mutants), have powers thrust upon them, and are a part of a larger conflict, and many are hated for being different and are considered freaks. Even longtime X-Men writer Chris Claremont has commented on this, accusing Marvel and Disney of making the Inhumans into mutant Expies to benefit the Marvel Cinematic Universe (which can't use mutants due to rights issues).
- Uncanny X-Men dealt with this very topic, as the X-Men realize that very few could be able to tell the difference between a mutant and an Inhuman, thus making their struggle more complicated.
- Secret Keeper: Lockjaw knows that Blackbolt is alive, but has not told Medusa.