Missing Man Formation
The missing man formation is a form of Due to the Dead performed by fighter jet pilots. It consists of a flight performing a flyby over a fellow pilot's funeral, either with one position conspicuously empty, or with one pilot sharply pulling away (straight up or sideways) just over the site while the others maintain course. Although primarily used in the military air force context, its variants can be used in other situations, as well. Compare Empty Chair Memorial and Riderless Horse. Since this is often a Death Trope, beware of spoilers.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In the first Iron Eagle movie, Doug Masters asks the fighters that rescued him if they could fly the formation for "Chappy" Sinclair, who was shot down during the mission or so everyone thought. The USAF major in command of the flight responds that they were waiting for Doug to take the lead position.
- The end of Thirteen Days has one over Major Anderson's casket.
- The Right Stuff, as befitting a movie about test pilots.
- At the end of Star Trek Into Darkness during the re-christening ceremony for the Enterprise, which doubles as a memorial for all who died, including Christopher Pike.
- Done ridiculously insensitively in The McConnell Story, in which McConnell's widow is advised of her fighter and test pilot husband's death by the missing man formation
Live Action TV
- In Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, an allied flight performs a missing man flyby over the November City after Chopper is shot down.
- In Beast Wars, Optimus, Cheetor, and Silverbolt fly overhead in the missing man formation during Dinobot's funeral.
- While it is unknown who first came up with the missing man formation and when, its origin can be traced to the RAF, most likely during the World War I. Some say that they first flew it for Manfred von Richthofen, the original Red Baron.
- In 2007, Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was killed by burglars. In the first Redskins game after Taylor's death, the Redskins defense took the field for its first play with ten men instead of the usual 11, with Taylor's position left empty.
- A short video of fighters from Homeworld 2 flying in this formation was posted online as a memorial to a popular founding member of Relic Entertainment's official forum.