Recap: Babylon Five S 03 E 11 Ceremonies Of Light And Dark
Prisoners of Nightwatch.
Ceremonies of Light and Dark
No more! No more of you! No more Nightwatch, no more hostages, no more lies. Not on my station, not on my watch. No more! No more.
This episode contains examples of:
- Ax-Crazy: Sniper, just listen to his description of what he did to Minbari POWs, and he's looking forward to showing his buddies in person.
- Backstory: Marcus gives some of his to Delenn. It's elaborated upon in the canon novel To Dream in the City of Sorrows.
- Badass Boast: Marcus casually states that if he doesn't get the answers he wants from the room full of thugs, he is going to be forced to beat all of them unconscious. The entire room then stands up in response. One discretionary scene cut later, we see Marcus finishing off the last two people in the room, cuing what may be the single funniest line in the entire show:
Marcus: Bugger! Now I have to wait for somebody to wake up!!
- Berserk Button: Sheridan's is Delenn. He chases Sniper through the station, ending in a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown, after Sniper stabs her.
- Sniper himself earlier, while talking to Delenn about pity (see below).
- Bilingual Backfire: Held hostage, Delenn and Lenann quietly start assessing the situation and planning an escape strategy in Minbari, only for one of the captors to interrupt them. He doesn't actually say anything in Minbari, but he makes it clear that he understood exactly what was being said.
- Continuity Nod: Garibaldi's spoken authorization code for certain high-level computer functions is "Peekaboo".
- Curbstomp Battle: Marcus vs. the bar patrons. "Bugger! Now I have to wait for somebody to wake up."
- Also Sheridan vs. Sniper at the end.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Delenn telling Sniper she feels sorry for him because he is still trapped in the madness of the Earth-Minbari War sets him off, causing him to shoot Lenann and almost shoot Delenn, but Boggs stops him before he can.
- Embarrassing Password: Garibaldi uses the spoken security code "Peekaboo" for certain high-level computer functions. (By comparison, Sheridan and Ivanova use "Obsidian" and "Griffin", respectively.) His justification: "Hey, would you have guessed it?"
- Hostage Situation
- I Surrender, Suckers: Variant. Sheridan makes Nightwatch think the Minbari have pulled out... then fakes a reactor leak to force them into the open.
- Love Confession: This is the episode where Sheridan comes clean with his feelings for Delenn.
Sheridan: ...I can no longer imagine my world without you in it. I don't know when or how it happened, but I'm glad it did.
- Two others come out, though one is towards a deceased character (Ivanova confesses she thinks she loved Talia) and another not directly to the object of affection because it's not meant to be (Lennier confesses he loves Delenn as his "tell a secret" rebirth ritual to Marcus)
- Missing Man Formation: During the memorial service.
- Neck Lift: Lennier does this to Marcus—a guy who'd just taken down an entire bar full of thugs.
- Not Hyperbole: When Marcus says that in ten minutes, he'll be the last one in the room still standing, he means it. The thugs failed to realize this.
- Rage Breaking Point: Marcus mentions in passing that his instructors warned him that he was repressing a great deal of anger. After beating a large room full of thugs senseless, he doesn't feel repressed anymore.
- Alternately, his Ranger training...either way...
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Jerry Doyle's arm actually did get broken while filming the previous episode's fight scene. This happened after most of the dialogue in the script was finalized, and Sparky's "broken arm" line was in there before Doyle actually broke his arm.
- Straczyinski is no longer allowed to mention the body parts of crew members, after this and the Ivanova incident.
- Reality Is Unrealistic: The Night Watch leader's scar got a lot of complaints for looking fake. JMS responded that it's the real thing, as the actor got it protecting a woman from being raped.