Comic Book: Silent War
Silent War was a 2007 Marvel Comics limited series, about the war of The Inhumans against the United States.In the end of the House of M crossover Quicksilver lost his powers, along with most of the mutants. In Son Of M he was rescued by Crystal, his former wife of The Inhumans, and taken to Attilan. He stole the terrigen crystals, the source of the inhuman's powers, in a bid to restore the power of the depowered mutants. It did not work work well: he did not recover his super-speed, but got instead a weird power, to go forward in time and return. His daughter Luna, who did not have powers, got the power to "see" the evil or the emotions. The ex-mutants exposed to the mists mutated horribly. And, before the Inhumans could recover the terrigen crystals, the US army secured them. Black Bolt then declared war to the US.Gorgon led a small team that invaded a theater play and revealed to the public what was going on. The "Do Not Adjust Your Set" number soon turned into a terrorist attack when Jolen killed a number of people; Gorgon and the others were defeated by the Fantastic Four and captured. A scientist tested the terrigen mists on Gorgon, exposing him to it a second time: he became a beast. The scientist Cartwright was exposed to it as well, and got super-strength.The inhumans tried to teleport to the Pentagon and retrieve the Crystals, but Reed Richards had prepared a defense that took them somewhere else. They visited Quicksilver later, and found that he had embedded the crystals into his body. He warned as well that in a jump forward he saw an atomic explosion in the moon, at the location of Attilan. The Inhumans teleported again, not to the Pentagon itself but near it, and proceed from there. Despite the resistance of the Avengers, they retrieved the crystals and returned to Attilan.The crystals had been used on marines, to create super-soldiers, although the process is lethal for humans after some time. Those marines were sent to the moon, to attack Attilan; Medusa freed Maximus and her son Ahura by then. The marines were defeated, captured and taken to the city; and one of them used her power: to explode like an atomic bomb.
Silent War contains examples of:
- Body Horror: Quicksilver with all the crystal shards embedded in his chest.
- Bolivian Army Ending: Luna confesses Black Bolt that she had freed Maximus, and that she's a bit responsible of the destruction of Attilan. She asked Black Bolt what can she do, there is a view of Black Bolt's mouth... the end. Did he kill her, or not?
- Do Not Adjust Your Set: Gorgon began the war with one of those. It did not end well.
- Engineered Public Confession: The president of the US will say that the terrigen mist are a massive destruction weapon. That it will be used to create monsters that will commit terrorist attacks against the US. That Black Bolt is a religious fundamentalist, who will not stop until he destroys the American way of life. Blatant Lies? Let's hear the recorded tape again, shall we, Lord Gorgon? "When Black Bolt comes for you, you will have no salvation. When he speaks, those walls will crumble, and your great civilization, your precious America, will fall".
- I Choose to Stay: as the destruction of Attilan is unavoidable, Quicksilver wants to keep Luna with him. If not him, then the Fantastic Four, Atlantis, Wakanda, anywhere except the doomed Attilan. She did not accept that: she's an inhuman, and must stay with her people.
- Neck Lift: When the Inhumans visited Quicksilver, Layla showed up with the Multiple Man, told them that nobody attacks them in their territory, and told the Multiple Man to attack Black Bolt. His poor throat does not need friends like Layla...
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Luna, since she was exposed to the terrigen mists she has a big variety of powers.
- Oh, Crap: Madrox, the Multiple Man, was taken by Layla to protect Quicksilver. He opens the door, and find Quicksilver with the Inhumans. Yes, he's a bit outnumbered, duplicates included.
- Ominous Message from the Future: Sort of. Quicksilver visited the future and knows of the inevitable destruction of Attilan. This future can not be changed... and it isn't.
- Super Soldier: The US does not trust the regular superheroes to wage the war against the inhumans, as they are their friends, and sought instead to use the terrigen mist on marines to create superpowered soldiers.
- The War Has Just Begun: Reed Richards pointed this when the military took Gorgon prisoner. The Thing thought that things were over by then.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: The scientist pointed to Gorgon that Human Rights are, well, for humans
- What the Hell, Hero?: The reaction of the Fantastic Four to Gorgon after his terrorist attack.