Micah (JP: Mais)
An odd young man who can transform into a Wooly by means of a Transformation Trinket. Like the other two games in the main series, he ends up in town with no memories and is given a farm to tend.
- Badass Adorable: In Wooly form.
- He's this even in human form.
- Deadpan Snarker: Moreso than the heroes of the other games.
- Determinator: At the end, walking through a TIDAL WAVE OF MAGICAL DRAGON GOD MAGIC AND LOGS for the sake of his fiancée.
- Easy Amnesia: Although he does recover later.
- Henshin Hero: Complete with transformation belt.
- The Hero: Well, duh.
- Improbable Weapon User: The king of them all. Farm tools, vegetables, backscratchers, cutlery, all are valid weapons.
- Interspecies Romance: He's a human, whereas his love interests include a phoenix in human shape, a mermaid, an elf, and a Unicorn-like Horned Humanoid.
- Killer Rabbit: Woolies are some of the weakest, least-aggressive monsters in the series. Then along comes Micah.
- Official Couple: With Shara.
- Only Sane Man: A good deal of his dialogue shows that he considers himself this. Given that Sharance seems to be a town of Cloudcuckoolanders, he's not completely wrong.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Micah's wooly form can throw around monsters many times his size.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Via the aforementioned transformation belt, Micah is capable of assuming the form of a Wooly.
Shara (JP: Sia)
The canon heroine, a girl who tends the flower shop with Wells and Monica.
- Hair Decorations
- Improbable Weapon User: Her weapon of choice is a watering can, and she calls it "Mr. Sprinkles".
- Innocent Flower Girl: She wears flowers as part of her daily attire, and encourages Micah to plant them instead of vegetables.
- Official Couple: She's the canon heroine.
- To the point that regardless of which girl the player has Micah marry, the ending cinematic will always show Shara being the one he runs to embrace, which can be off-putting to say the least.
- The Medic: If Micah takes her out adventuring, she mostly stands back and heals him.
The town mayor and Sia's grandfather. Dislikes monsters and thinks them all bloodthirsty creatures, even the cute ones.
- Fantastic Racism: The biggest example in the series. He's not such a bad guy; it's just a blind spot he can't seem to get over.
Sia's little sister. Gets angry and upset around strangers.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: But she gets better eventually.
- Curtains Match The Windows
- Not Good with People: Has a tendency to yell "Gaaaaaauuuu"note whenever Micah speaks to her or even comes close. And she tends to bite strangers (read: Micah).
- Precocious Crush: On Micah, once she warms up to him.
Gaius (JP: Gadzhi)
The town blacksmith. Ostensibly a dwarf, although he looks more like an elf. Generally a friendly guy all around and nonplussed by anything.
- After Micah gets married, she offers to wear the engagement ring Gaius made for her and walk around with him, which implies that there's hope.
- Cannot Talk to Women: He gets really flustered around Evelyn.
- Doing It for the Art: Sort of. He forges weapons because he enjoys it, not for the money. He even mentions that without Raven running the store he'd go bankrupt.
- Eye Scream: Implied. He alludes to a mining accident that he lost his right eye in.
- Forgets to Eat: Or sleep, or do anything else when he's working.
- In one quest, Raven admits she makes sure they "run out" of ore when it's time for him to take a break.
- The Gadfly: Unlike Carlos, who seems to not realize the gay impications of his dialogue, Gaius will cheerfully suggest that there may be something between him and Micah just for Micah's reaction. In one case he'll even claim that the only reason he wouldn't propose to Micah is that he's already married.
- Hopeless Suitor: Has a crush on Evelyn but she only thinks of him as nothing more than a friend.
- The Illegible: He keeps a diary, but Micah won't be able to make out a word of it. If Gaius is there when he tries to read it, he'll admit that he can't either.
- Our Dwarves Are All the Same: Utterly averted: he's a bishie-looking pointy-eared blunette with an eternally friendly demeanor.
- Parental Substitute: For Raven, though he doesn't directly show it.
Raven (JP: Toona)
Gaius's apprentice. Mostly silent and sour-faced, although she's hiding a secret.
- Badass Longcoat: She is almost never seen without her signature white longcoat over her Bare Your Midriff top.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Broken Bird: No pun intended.
- Continuity Nod: In her cameo in Rune Factory 4, she mentions gifts for Karina, Sofia, and Evelyn, refers to Gaius as her father who isn't a father and makes really good equipment that he forgets to sell, and blushes while saying that Woolies are her favorite monster.
- Cute Monster Girl: She's actually a humanoid Phoenix who can shapeshift into a totally human form.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Freakiness Shame: Micah pretty much tells her "But your wings are beautiful" after she reveals her phoenix form.
- Insecure Love Interest: Even after they're married, she'll constantly ask Micah for reassurance that he loves her.
- Meaningful Name: The localization gives her one. Her Japanese name is a little subtle; Toona is a genus of mahogany that has red wood.
- Parental Abandonment: She never knew her parents. Considering she's a phoenix, she may never have had any!
- Perpetual Frowner: To the point of making some zany schemes not unlike Sakuya's and several other excuses just so she doesn't have to smile to the costumers.
- The Phoenix: A shapeshifting variant who has assumed a human form.
- Secret Diary: To make it not so secret: Upstairs, bookshelf in the lower right bedroom. A Shout-Out to the diaries in older games, as the player increases her Relationship Values she writes more about Micah. Probably one of the reasons she's an Ensemble Dark Horse.
- Stalker with a Crush: Get her affection level with Micah high enough and she'll start sneaking into his house during the middle of the day.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She seems icy and aloof, but she's got a very warm and loving heart, and she's a lot more tender than she lets others see.
- Video Game Cruelty Punishment: If Micah builds up a relationship with her then marries someone else, she'll write a heart wrenching entry in her diary about how she thought Micah loved her.
- Visible Silence
Runs the general store with her daughter, Karin. Often upset at the latter's laziness.
- This becomes more entertaining if Micah marries their children, which will eventually make them grandmothers.
- Sweet Tooth: Loves cake.
- Tsundere: Type B. She doesn't like letting it show how much she actually cares about Karina, although she does refer to her as her "stupid" daughter.
Karina (JP: Karin)
Voiced By: Shizuka Ito (JP)
Hazel's daughter. Slacker who wants to leave the little town she's in and enter high society.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Hidden Depths: She dreams of going to the city. At one point she actually starts working in order to get enough money to go.
- Informed Flaw / Hollywood Pudgy At the beach, she claims she ate too much last winter and laments that "swimsuits can't hide reality". For the record, this is Karina in her swimsuit.
- Skirt over Slacks: The official artwork has her wearing shorts underneath her skirt.
- The Slacker: To the point where every word out of her mouth is accompanied by either a yawn or a sarcastic, tired remark.
- And if Micah marries her, she will rarely even make a lunch for him—and if she does, expect something extremely unspectacular.
- Secret Diary: Micah finds an old one that goes "Dear Diary, I realized today it's too much trouble to keep writing in you, so I won't."
Carmen (JP: Ion)
A tomboy who loves fishing as much as her hat.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: She hits Micah quite often, even when Micah proposes to her.
- Incest Subtext: She's rather... attached to her brother. Their introduction scene has them going totally melodramatic about her going out to go fishing, complete with "My dear brother/my beloved sister"s, and both talk about having trouble finding a boy/girlfriend as good as their sibling.
- Nice Hat
- Tsundere: Type B.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has green hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Carmen's big brother. May be considered a jock. Highly protective of Carmen.
- Ambiguously Gay: A lot of his dialogue can be interpreted as flirting with Micah, and he doesn't really seem to have any interest in girls besides Carmen. Whenever it seems like he is interested in one of the girls, he immediately turns around and subverts it.
- Incest Subtext: He's rather... attached to his sister. Their introduction scene has them going totally melodramatic about her going out to go fishing, complete with "My dear brother/my beloved sister"s, and both talk about having trouble finding a boy/girlfriend as good as their sibling.
- Mr. Fanservice: He spends all his time in a frayed tanktop that barely covers his tanned and tattooed muscles.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Simply attempting to go foraging for materials with Carmen causes Carlos to fly into an insurmountable rage.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has green hair.
Shino (JP: Shinonome)
Runs the local eastern-themed inn, where passing travellers stay. It was shortened to just Shino in the English version. In a dialogue, she even mentions to just call her Shino.
- Cuteness Proximity: She loves cute things; dolls, kittens, but especially woolies. In Sakuya's last requests, Shino suddenly becomes cold toward both Micah and Sakuya in their attempt to make the inn's patrons accept the monsters, which turns out she's actually holding back the urge to glomp Micah right there.
- My Beloved Smother: After Pia tells her about how Micah showed her his "thing," she offhandedly mentions to him about her sharp, sharp swords. She ends up giving Micah a sword as a gift, but he can't help but be afraid.
- Mysterious Past: Multiple hints are dropped by her daughter and even herself that she used to do dangerous work in a previous job. She also knows an awful lot about weapons and training, and has a habit of trying to train any great fighter she lays eyes on.
- Stacy's Mom: Sadly, she isn't a marriage candidate. Neither is Hazel. Marjorie even lampshades this by asking which one of the two would be Micah's type.Shino: Micah?
Shino: You're pretty cute now that I've gotten a good look at you.
Voiced By: Ryoko Shintani (JP)
Shino's daughter. Runs the curio store. Has a largely childlike personality, but is dead serious when it comes to money. Also a horrible cook.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: With Persia/Pia, and Micah can join in during one of their requests.
- Lethal Chef: She heats the water for a boiled egg... with a Big Fire spell.
- Hime Cut: Sports one.
- Money Fetish
- Odango: Seems to have them of the covered variety, though they may just be hair decs. They vanish in her swimsuit, replaced by a ponytail, but it's hard to see if she has one in her normal profile.
- Wingding Eyes: Give her something valuable and a G symbol will appear in her eye.
Pia (JP: Persia)
Voiced By: Aya Endo (JP)
A happy-go-lucky mermaid who runs the baths in the inn. Has an odd fascination with squid.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: With Sakuya, and Micah can join in with them during one of their requests.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: All her conversations seem to revolve around two things: bathing and squid.
- If you think she's a loony normally, wait until she realizes her feelings for Micah.
- Curtains Match The Windows
- Cute Monster Girl: She's a mermaid, after all, even though she spends most of the time in a human form.
- Does Not Understand Sarcasm
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: One hint that she actually isn't The Pollyanna; the only other person who has this is Raven. She might not even realize that she's sad in anyway, when she says her chest "prickles" when seeing a family in the bathhouse.
- Easy Amnesia: Mentions in one dialogue she can't remember life in the ocean except for the occasional dream, which she wakes up crying from.
- Happily Adopted: Not formally, since she's listed as having no family, but Sakuya and Shino treat her as part of theirs, and she's perfectly happy with the arrangement.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: She often tell a story about the fact that she can't talk with the fishes makes the sea very lonely. Her attraction to Sakuya and Shino is because they want to accept her.
- Improbable Weapon User: Her weapon of choice is the Dekash - a weaponized tuna, which counts as a long sword.
- Mermaid Problem: Gotten around by having her mermaid tail only come out when she's drenched. (Eg. rain)
- Our Mermaids Are Different: Pia's people change into a human form when they dry off and only regain their tail when soaking wet. Pia is also friends with fish, except for squid, whom she hates and so wants to devour whenever she finds them — it's unclear if this is a racial thing or just Pia being Pia.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Wants to rescue all the fish, ever. Except for squids, which are evil.Pia: So you see, squids are evil. I will eat them. I will eat them ALL.
- Zettai Ryouiki: When she has legs.
Daria (JP: Dahlia)
Voiced By: Yui Horie (JP)
An elf artist who stays in the forest just out of town. Highly passionate about her works.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: She does it frequently.
- Catch Phrase: "Rainbow!". Or at the lesser extend, her use of "Artistic!" and its variation.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Probably higher up in the clouds than Pia.
- Calling Your Attacks: Beautiful attack! MARVELOUS attack!
- Dojikko: She will randomly trip while standing still.
- Everybody Knew Already: Micah is not supposed to realize she's an elf until she tells him, after he reveals his wooly form to her.
- Everything's Better with Rainbows: So much so, she might even speak with them when she uses the line.
- Forgets to Eat: Her art takes priority over food. One of her requests is getting her some food after she passes out while working.
- Improbable Weapon User: While her hammer is an appropriate weapon, she also uses it as a paintbrush.
- Ineffectual Loner: Notice that she lives at the front of the forest, away from the town, and doesn't have clique? Or how the town's inhabitants seem to have little regard of her?
- Large Ham: ALL of her voice clips have her shouting. Also whenever Micah tries saying her catchphrase during a date, she'll complain about how quietly he said it and tries to teach him to shout it louder.
- Mad Artist: Maybe not mad, but still a little, well, screwy.
- Tries to drag Micah into becoming her assistant, too. "Go, my assistant!"
- Mayfly-December Romance: As an elf, she has an extended lifespan. She confesses she was afraid of marrying Micah because she feared outliving him and being left alone.
- OOC Is Serious Business: In the events leading to Micah revealing his Wooly form to her he laments that he doubts their relationship would work since he technically isn't human. She drops all of her quirks and attempts to console him.
- Pointy Ears: Well, she IS an elf.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade B.
Blaise (JP: Gluten)
Proprietor of the local restaurant. Sells Micah recipe bread.
- Supreme Chef: He is the primary chef for the entire village. Even Sherman greatly approves of his cooking and asks for more when eating at the diner.
- Noodle Incident: Marjorie, Wells and Daria will mention an incident where he had too much wine at a festival, and that's all that any of them will say on the subject. Marjorie and Wells will simply ask Micah to talk to Blaise about it and Daria begs him to stop asking her to go on. Obviously, he doesn't like being given wine.
Colette (JP: Chocolat)
Voiced By: Eri Kitamura (JP)
Blaise's daughter, who works as a waitress in her father's restaurant. Very childlike and innocent.
- Big Eater: No matter how much she eats, though, she can't seem to grow any taller, a fact she complains about.
- Butt Monkey: She's Marian's personal guinea pig.
- Dojikko: One of her Artificial Atmospheric Actions is her falling over.
- Improbable Weapon User: Her weapon is a giant lollipop, which counts as an axe-type weapon.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade B.
Blaise's son and Colette's brother. Strongly dislikes vegetables.
- Sweet Tooth: In fact, he bonds quickly with Kuruna because of their mutual love for sweets.
- Odd Name Out: Inverted: he's the only member of the family who kept his Japanese name in the English version, and thus the only one still named after a dessert-related topic.
- Picky Eater: Won't touch anything that has vegetable in it. As his Relationship Values rises, Micah can convince him to try vegetable by pointing out random fact that he seems to pull out of nowhere. Not that change his gift preference.
Marian (JP: Marion)
Voiced By: Ayumi Fujimura
The local Cute Witch. Helps her grandmother run the magic hospital and formulates new medicines in her spare time.
- Blessed with Suck: Because of her love for tomatoes and their scent, Marjorie enchanted her sense of smell to strengthen it. However, the spell ended up too strong and the smell of tomatoes completely nauseates her now.
- Cute Little Fangs: She sports a pair.
- Improbable Weapon User: Her weapon is a giant syringe that shoots fireballs and counts as a rod-type weapon.
- Mad Scientist: Well, she uses magic more than science, but she still has the right attitude.
- Mad Doctor: The fact she carries around a huge fireball shooting syringe kind of gives it away.
Marion's grandmother. Runs the magic hospital, which sells staves, magic books and medicine. This is also where Micah ends up if he faints, even in a dungeon.
- Miniature Senior Citizens: She is half the size of the main character.
- Racist Grandma: Averted; she admits to Kuruna that she used to hate the Univir, but once she gets to meet them, she has no prejudices.
Sherman (JP: Donchachos)
The patriarch of the local branch of the De Saint Coquille family. Like his relatives in other parts, is a Big Eater. Unlike his relatives, he has a tendency to say the opposite of what he means.
- Big Eater: Although Evelyn has put him on a diet.
- Consummate Liar: Unlike Sofia, he has no reason for his opposite speak other than he found it hilarious that people believe the lie.
- Gonk: As usual for the De Saint Coquille families.
- Uncle Pennybags
Voiced By: Minori Chihara (JP)
Sherman's daughter. Like her father, she has the habit of saying the opposite of what she means.
- Attempted Rape: A quest of hers involves Micah keeping an unwanted suitor away from her. Her crying and the faceless NPC's forcefulness comes off this way.
- Bad Liar: Her lies are printed in red to drive this home.
- Although, it manages to fool everyone in town except Evelyn.
- Curtains Match The Windows
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Hair Decorations
- Non-Idle Rich: In her bedroom, Micah finds impressive clothing designs, and she seems to have a genuine interest in forging and shopkeeping.
- Only Sane Woman: Before she started talking in opposites, she was by far the least quirky member of her family. Her only "odd" feature, her interest in junk, is actually fairly normal. However she basically forced her speech habits on herself when she hurt her sister's feelings and tried to convince her that she meant the opposite of what she said.
- Parasol of Prettiness
- Spoiled Sweet: Her character bio mentions that she's "haughty" but she never acts that way in-game.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has violet hair.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter
Evelyn (JP: Elisa)
Sherman's daughter and Sophia's elder sister. She's travelled the world and gained many ideas on fashion, some of which are a bit odd.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Curtains Match The Windows
- Everything's Better with Monkeys
- Cute Kitten
- Mad Artist: She makes fashions out of vegetables and fish, and apparently doesn't know what to do with Wooly wool. People talk about giving her fish on her birthday for this purpose. While she's a bit normaller than her family, she's still really weird.
- Nice Hat:
- Oblivious to Love: When Gaius gives her an engagement ring, she thinks he wants her to make an outfit from it.
- Spoiled Sweet: She's one of the nicest charaters in the game.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Violet hair.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter
Kuruna (EN: Cururufa)
One of the horned people, and the headswoman of the Monster Village. Dislikes humans and has a sweet tooth. Always accompanied by her pet fireball, Will.
- Big Eater: Not Kuruna, but Will. He's able to eat about 100 turnips a day. Micah notes that Colette might have some competition.
- Cute Monster Girl: The horned people are a unicorn like race, which mostly manifests as them being Horned Humanoids.
- Fantastic Racism: Even more so than Wells; after everyone has accepted Micah's half-human state, she initially refuses to say a word to him other than calling him a traitor.
- Hulk Speak: Will speaks like this and in all caps.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: If Micah already married when he accepts her request for a date, he will be visibly uncomfortable and finally says that she's just a friend. She then, with her head held high, says that he should take care of his wife. She even chastises Micah if he picks the "soulmate" option. Very visible the difference between other bachelorettes, who seem to disregarded that Micah already has wife, and even children.
- Long Lived
- Rapunzel Hair
- Really 700 Years Old: During the Unity Festival, talk to Wells while she's following Micah, she'll mention that she's even older than him.
- Sweet Tooth
- Superior Species: Directly states this.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: The long lives of her species means that she has lost many friends.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A.
Ondorus (JP: Ondolfa)
One of the horned people. A powerful magician, he seeks Micah's help in bringing together the people of Siarensu and the Monster Village.
- Bookworm: There really isn't a lot to do in the desert apart from reading books.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Non-Action Guy
- The Smart Guy
Zaid (JP: Zeze)
Resident of the Monster Village. A young man with cat-like eyes and markings.
- I Call It "Vera": He names his sword "Mr. Slicer."
- Leeroy Jenkins: Local equivalent. His AI only has this type of mode, making him really easy to faint. And Micah basically has an Escort Mission with him required by the story early on.
- Our Dwarves Are All the Same: Averted AND Lampshaded by him.