Video Game: Rune Factory 2
The sequel to first Rune Factory, also on the DS
, it was developed by Neverland Co and released by Natsume in North America in November 2008. It introduced message board requests, marriage rivals, and a playable second generation (similar to the Agarest
Once again an amnesiac
wanders into a small village and meets a girl. This time his default name is Kyle hers is Mana, much like Raguna & Mist in the first game, she also happens to have a disused farm lying around. Everything else falls into the same formula as the first game: you delve into dungeons, farm food, and eventually marry someone. However that's not the end, after Kyle vanishes one stormy night, his kid sets out to find him as a playable character.
This video-game provides examples of:
- Apathetic Citizens: Subverted during the second generation, by Barrett (your teacher), who was content to let you wander around the dungeons so long as you didn't get caught and you didn't hurt yourself, the moment it comes to fighting one of the dragon gods, Fiersome, even though the town and probably the world will be destroyed otherwise, he is very quick to tell you it's too dangerous and take away the magic that you need.
- Beef Gate: You can run straight to the bosses from the start of the second generation . This is a really bad idea.
- The Blacksmith: Tanya
- Boring but Practical: Several lesser Skill Seals are far more powerful (the spear's L1 Thrust Strike and shortsword's L2 Dash Slash) or useful (shortsword L1 Power Wave, with a quick hand can be used to capture monsters far above your level) than the higher level Seals.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: The "marriages" at the second half are more or less these.
- Disappeared Dad: The second half of the game has the main character leave his family for an unknown reason, at which point the player takes control of his son/daughter in order to find out why.
- Insurmountable Waist High Fence: The fences strewn about in the dungeons. In the second generation, Aaron or Aria can slip right past them. Even if they're riding an animal much bigger than themselves.
- Official Couple: Kyle and Mana
- Robe and Wizard Hat: Alicia wears a stripperific variation in the second.
- Theme Naming: In Rune Factory 2, most of the dungeons -Trieste Forest, Messhina Valley, Padova Mountains and Palermo Shrine- are all named after Italian cities.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: Can you say bride-stealing? Should the player chose to see a rival marriage, they have option of stealing the bride from the altar at the cost of losing all FP with the rival.