Splash and Bubbles is a CGI children's show produced by The Jim Henson Company, and created by the creator of Johnny And The Sprites, John Tartaglia. It premiered on PBS Kids on Thanksgiving. The show follows a yellowback fusilier named Splash, and his friends Bubbles (a mandarin dragonet), Ripple (a seahorse), and Dunk (a pufferfish). They explore the reef to venture and make new friends. Each episode also includes a documentary segment, Get Your Feet Wet, which features kids asking questions that are occasionally followed up by a musical number.
This show provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Dunk is this.
- Aerith and Bob: We have characters who have names like Splash, Bubbles, Dunk, Ripple, etc, but there are characters who have more common names like Lu, Bob, Denny, Flo, Iris, Bell, and Polly.
- All-CGI Cartoon
- An Aesop: The show provides the moral that we should help take care of the ocean.
- Butt-Monkey: Dunk is often the butt of the others' jokes.
- Cast of Snowflakes: Each one of the characters has their own special design.
- Catch-Phrase: "Ocean Friends Forever!"
- Expository Theme Tune: The theme song explains that after traveling all over the world, Splash came to Reef Town and met Bubbles.
- Extra Long Episode: The episode “One Big Ocean” runs for a whole hour, longer than the other episodes.
- Friendship Song: “Hangin’ With Friends”, which is sung by the Reeftown Rangers as they introduce themselves and how having friends around can be fun.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: Ripple has 499 brothers, all of which are referred to by their numbers.
- Name and Name
- "Setting Off" Song: Splash has the song “Catch a Current”, normally used in an episode whenever he and his friends take the currents.
- The Smurfette Principle: In her family, Ripple is the only girl out of 500 offspring, which is odd since seahorses aren't known for having broods with one gender so extremely outnumbering the other.
- Stock Footage: Sometimes a song can be used in more than one episode, with the same animation save for a few minor tweaks to go with who’s in the episode and what the focus is about.
- Title Theme Tune: Dive in, with Splash and Bubbles!