The series revolves around Juni and Carmen Cortez attending a Spy Academy and leading their own spy team to counter S.W.A.M.P., a new evil counter spy team.
Tropes associated with Spy Kids Mission Critical:
- Alternate Continuity: This is clearly one with respect to films. For example, here Gregorio's team created the Third Brain only two years ago while in the first film Gregorio did not work as a spy for a long time. Also these Gregorio and Ingrid were OSS spies from the beginning, while in the films they worked for different, warring countries before they fell in love with each other.
- Card-Carrying Villain: S.W.A.M.P. has "Sinister" right in its name.
- Fun with Acronyms: S.W.A.M.P. stands for Sinister Wrongdoers Against Mankind's Preservation .
- My Brain Is Big: The Leader of S.W.A.M.P. is Golden Brain, and has a bare cranium.
- Spy School: The school that the Protagonists attend.
- Title Drop: The Spy Academy is called Spy Kids Academy.