Cadpig: I always wanted to get good and dirty!
Basically, this is a trope for when somebody finds playing in dirt and getting dirty enjoyable. Especially common if the character is The Pig-Pen or Hates Baths, however, they may not mind getting clean, they might just enjoy getting dirty. Pigs are common for this.
Someone who believes that Messy is Fun might have trouble getting along with a Neat Freak who won't let them play in the mud or gets cross when they dirty their clothes. The messy character might view the neat freak as being boring or a killjoy, which might result in Slobs vs. Snobs being in play.
- Calvin and Hobbes:
- In one strip, Calvin and Hobbes are playing in the mud and Calvin says, "Face it, Hobbes, we're asthetes."
- In another, Calvin sees a mud puddle and puts some on his face, all the while saying, "Eww" but smiling.
- Implied for Pig Pen from Peanuts: We never see him get dirty, but he always is.
- In 101 Dalmatians, the dogs have to roll in the soot to disguise themselves as black Labs. They greatly enjoy it and one of them notes that they have "always wanted to get good and dirty".
- Barney & Friends had a whole song about having fun with things that could be considered "icky".
- Happens at the end The New Lassie episode "Trapped". A practical joker named Jonathan sets Will up to fall in a mud pit, but before the trap gets pulled off he and Will both end up trapped down a deep hole. Once Lassie's rescued them, Jonathan confesses what he'd been planning. Will replies that the idea was Actually Pretty Funny, and they both jump into the mud, enjoying themselves hugely.
- Sesame Street: The Grouches (with the exception of Oscar's friend Felix) all value things we would consider disgusting. As such, they greatly enjoy getting dirty by doing things such as washing with cheese and taking mud baths. Slimey the worm also takes mud baths.
- In the Preschool Popstars music video for "Wash Your Hands", the blonde girl is seen playing in the mud.
- In Avatar: The Last Airbender, Toph likes being covered in dirt because she likes to rebel against her overprotective upbringing and because touching dirt is how she sees.
- Muck from Bob the Builder loves getting dirty. He also hates being washed.
Muck: "You're lucky, Dizzy. If I was small like you, i'd roll in the mud until I was the muckiest Muck ever, ever, EVER!"
- Little Princess: Both the Princess and the Prime Minister like to play in the mud.
- Lana Loud from The Loud House provides the page image. She loves playing in the mud among other gross things such as unclogging toilets, eating trash and expired food, and going to the bathroom in random places.
- Martha Speaks: Martha and Skits the dogs both like rolling in mud and digging through garbage. Martha's brother Felix used to like mud, but has outgrown it.
- My Friend Rabbit: One episode ends with them all having fun with a mud bath.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has the episode "Sister Hooves Social", at the end of which Rarity admits that sometimes having fun is worth getting your hooves a little bit dirty. Her younger sister Sweetie Belle says, "A lot dirty!" which leads to an Argument of Contradictions until Spike the dragon suggests they compromise with "a medium amount of dirty".
- PAW Patrol: Rubble the puppy enjoys getting dirty more than the other dogs, but also enjoys bathing afterwards.
- Baby Butter on PB&J Otter loves playing in mud, which is a big problem in one story because it's picture day and Peanut and Jelly need to try to keep her clean. As explained in the "Good Clean Fun" song:
Peanut and Jelly: She's only happy when she's...Butter: Gooey!
- Everybody in Peppa Pig enjoys jumping up and down in mud puddles, even ones who are otherwise quite clean/dignified.
- The babies in Rugrats, especially Phil and Lil, like to play in muddy puddles.