Johnny Reviews Tonight is a Video Review Show with surprisingly high production values, Johnny likes to overanalyze Video Games, to the point of each episode averaging at about 15 minutes, despite him talking in nigh-incomprehensible speeds.
The JRT Show focuses on current-gen stuff, but the videos never come out closer than two weeks after the games release, so they arent really meant to be a buyers guide. They always seem to include a brief history lesson and a couple of sketch bits, in order to be enjoyable even if you arent familiar with the franchise / genre and especially if youve already played the game in question.
Despite this, he always wraps up with a multiple choice verdict, guessing at the type of person youd have to be in order to buy and enjoy the game and, for multiplatform games, he even compares the different versions against each other.
The review alternates between Johnny narrating over game footage and him getting in front of the camera to talk directly to the viewer. In either case, he talks crazy fast, but the audio quality during the narrated bits has been improving over the years.
This web video series provides examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative: A little. Johnny will highlight flaws in games he really likes about as much as hell highlight positives in games he really doesnt.
- Affectionate Parody: Pretty much the whole point of the timeline B & C openings of the Back to the Future: The Game review.
- Berserk Button: When Maria thinks Johnny called her fat.
- Bilingual Bonus: He says a few words in an obscure language after transforming into Big Mac in the Punch-Out!! review.
- Boredom Montage: He becomes increasingly bored with the opening of Metal Gear Solid 4, to the point he starts dressing up and playing soldier until the game actually gives him something to do.
- Breaking the Reviewer's Wall: Right at the end of the Metal Gear Solid 4 review, Old Snake seems to pay Johnny a visit.
- Brick Joke: The Portal 2 review opens with a potato flying through a couple of portals, which are seemingly forgotten right up until the end.
- Brief Accent Imitation: In the Assassin's Creed II review, Johnny does a horrible fake-Italian accent to mimic Ezio.
- Catchphrase: Sentences in the form of: X is not about Y. Its about Z...
- He loves working in ""better, faster, stronger".
- Caustic Critic: Mostly averted. He sounds positively excited when describing the plot even in games he ends up disliking.
- Closing Credits: Throws in the occassional Hilarious Outtakes, Credits Gag, The Stinger.
- Colon Cancer: Shows up often in the episode names, perfectly lampshaded in this tweet.
Metal Gear Solid 4Guns of the PatriotsTactical Espionage ActionThats not a Title, its an eye exam
- Almost parodied in the very first scene of the very first episode:
- Double Entendre: Most obviously done in the Punch-Out!! review.
- Double Take: Wait, what?
- Double Vision: In the Timeline B - C versions of the Back to the Future: The Game review.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: His name is Johnny, and, Tonight, he will Review something.
- Face Palm: Does this when Samus is reduced to a little girl when fighting Ridley in Metroid: Other M, despite having faced him numerous times before.
- Fanservice: Subverted when the Wii Fit Girl parody in the Punch-Out!! video cuts right before we find out if Maria got back. This may also count as a Brick Joke & Ironic Echo, as these X minutes later cuts were beneficial to the viewer when they first appeared on the Metal Gear Solid 4 episodes.
- For Science!: Opens up the Portal 2 review with this.
- Four Point Scale: Averted in that he doesnt score the games, but offers a multiple-choice recommendation.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus : Some of the images flash by too quick, and the in-game subtitles are usually impossible to read without pausing.
- Funny Background Event: The cardboard box moving towards him in the end of the Metal Gear Solid 4 review.
- G.I.F.T.: Shown briefly in the Portal 2 review.
- Growing the Beard: Johnny seems to be getting more comfortable in front of the camera, and using better and better microphones as the series progress.
- Hypocritical Humor: He explains in the Back to the Future: The Game review that simply referencing the source material doesnt make you funny, then proceeds to directly quote Back to the Future.
- I Will Show You X: When Maria takes offense to Johnny saying all of his friends cant throw a decent punch. He was talking about multiplayer fighting games though, Maria took it rather literally.Maria: Was that punch good enough for you?
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: "And thats how you break the fourth wall, my beloved videocamera!"
- Let's Play: Hasnt done any so far, but the Metal Gear Solid 4 review is pretty close to being one.
- Mid-Review Sketch Show: All of the reviews have at least one sketch, with Maria usually filling in additional roles as needed.
- Motor Mouth: He claims to be making an effort to talk slower during the videos. This means his real life voice is a notch or so faster.
- Narm Charm: Loves the Im no hero scene from Metal Gear Solid 4 because of this.
- Oh, Crap!: When he realises who hes up against, when researching real life boxing.
- Padding: Does a rant about it when mining for minerals in Mass Effect 2. Also views Level Grinding as this.
- Previously On : Does one in the style of Battlestar Galactica for Mass Effect.
- Pun:Johnny: Does Mass Effect 2 suffer the originals sin?
- Recycled INSPACE: In Mass Effect 2, he brings up BioWares comment that Shepard is Jack Bauer IN SPACE!
- Right-Hand Cat: In Part 1 of the Metal Gear Solid 4 Review.Johnny, stroking the Right-Hand Cat:: How Evil.
- Running Gag: Mentioning power-point presentations throughout the Metal Gear Solid 4 review.
- Shout-Out: When he has an issue with a game, he usually points to earlier games that dealt with it better.
- Shown Their Work: He actually tries out every featured sport in Real Life as well, to check if theyre as Just Like Real Life as advertised, in the Kinect Sports review.
- Smoking Is Cool: Played with in the Metal Gear Solid 4 review, as his cigar is actually made of chocolate.
- Story-to-Gameplay Ratio: He has played Metal Gear Solid 4, so its no surprise this comes up.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: He claims this is the reason he might sometimes do a joke that has been done before, and assumes this instead of Follow the Leader when another reviewer does a joke he already did.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: At the end of each part of the Metal Gear Solid 4 review, there is a disclaimer citing the Reviewers I tried not to rip-off. Namely James Rolfe, Noah Antwiler and Doug Walker.
- Take That!: Done ocassionally, the Portal 2 review has quite a few on FirstPersonShooters.
- That's What She Said: Prevalent in the Dance Central review.
- Trademark Favorite Food:Johnny: Chocolate: My only weakness.
- Visual Pun: Sometimes does this with the background pics when narrating, such as with a nuclear explosion transforming to the shape of the Metal horns when he mentions Metal Gear.
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong?: Apparently loves saying these Exact Words in a sarcastic tone, as seen in the Mass Effect 2 and Back to the Future: The Game reviews.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Good luck placing Johnnys accent.
- You Fight Like a Cow: Appropriately, in the Monkey Island: Special Edition review.Maria: You direct like a dairy farmer!Johnny: How appropriate... you act like a cow!