My Hero Academia (僕のヒーロー・アカデミア Boku no Hero Academia) is a Superhero franchise set in world where 80% of humankind started manifesting superpowers known as "Quirks". With the majority of the population now possessing some kind of Quirk, society began to crumble under onslaught of crime committed by those who abused their newfound powers. In response, those who sought to use their Quirk for good became Vigilantes to combat them.
The vigilantes were formalized as pro heroes with the "Rhode Island New State Statute" Super Registration Act and Superhero Schools were established to train the next generations to become an officially-licensed heroes. With that society begin to regain normalcy only now with most having to show restraint in using their Quirks. However there are those who would not follow these rules and seek to bring chaos back among the masses in an attempt to re-create the days of the first few Quirks, necessitating the new hero system to stop them. As the series opens, one such hero is All Might, a "Symbol of Peace" to many and The Dreaded to criminals for his ability to stop crimes regardless of magnitude. Despite this, All Might has been keeping a secret from the public: his "Quirk" isn't natural and is actually passed down from his predecessor. However, an encounter with a villain in the past has left him severely weaken that it limits the use of his power and he fears his time as a hero is coming to an end. On one faithful day, he meets a Quirk-less boy named Izuku Midoriya, who proves he has the spirit of a hero despite his handicap. Thus, events are soon set into motion that'll change the lives of both and shake the world of heroes to it's core.
Starting out as a one-off manga written and illustrated by Kōhei Horikoshi for Akamaru Jump before being expanded into its own series in Weekly Shōnen Jump, My Hero Academia. From there it expanded into Anime, Light Novels, Video Games and other types of media.
Works in this franchise includes:
Anime & Manga
- My Hero (2008): A one-shot that served as a prototype to the series.
- My Hero Academia: The main series following Izuku "Deku" Midoriya as he attends the prestigious U.A. High School.
- My Hero Academia Smash!!: A parody gag Yonkoma series.
- Vigilante: My Hero Academia Illegals: Made by a different author and artist, this manga, set some time shortly before the events of the main series, details the story of a group of unlicensed heroes.
- There's always someone out there whos someone elses hero: A one-shot Prequel to My Hero Academia: The Two Heroes.
- My Heroine Academia:note A Yonkoma Slice of Life that details the daily lives of the U.A. female student body.
- All Might Rising: A one-shot that delves further into All Might´s past.
- My Hero Academia Team Up Mission: Centered on various characters going on missions together. After an introductory chapter on Jump GIGA in July 2019, the series is going to be serialized on the bi-monthly Saikyo Jump magazine from August. Made by Yoko Akiyama, a former assistant of Kohei Horikoshi and already author of My Heroine Academia.
- My Hero Academia: The Two Heroes: Released in Japanese theaters in August 2018 and in North America theaters in September 2018.
- My Hero Academia Heroes Rising, to be released in Japan on December 20th, 2019. Announced to be in development on March 25, 2019note , in that week's Weekly Shōnen Jump, title and release date were revealed on July 4th.
Live Action Films
- In October 2018, it was revealed a live action movie was in the works with Legendary Pictures and Toho collaborating on it.
- My Hero Academia School Briefs: A series featuring short stories about everyday school lives of the students at U.A. High School. Released in Japan 2016 and 2017 with the English translation released in 2019.
- My Hero Academia - Save! Rescue Training!
- My Hero Academia - Training of the Dead
- All Might Rising: An adaptation of All Might Rising
- My Hero Academia Drama CD: A CD that was bundled with the manga's 7th volume when it was initially released in Japan.
- My Hero Academia: Tag Card Game: A Collectible Card Game
- My Hero Academia: Clash! Heroes Battle: An Arcade Game released April 28, 2016
- My Hero Academia: Battle for All: Which was released exclusively in Japan for the Nintendo 3DS in May 2016.
- My Hero Academia: Smash Tap: A Mobile Phone Game released in 2017.
- My Hero One's Justice: A Fighting Game developed by Bandai Namco. It was released for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC in Japan in August 2018 and in the West in October 2018.
- My Hero Academia: The Strongest Hero: An action RPG for mobile with a release TBA.
- Jump Force: A Fighting Game featuring characters from Shonen Jump series. Midoriya, Katsuki Bakugo and All Might are playable characters.