Molly Kathleen Ringwald (born February 18, 1968 in Roseville, California) is an actress famous for being part of the Brat Pack (a group of actors associated with several Eighties teenage comedy films) and for starring in films such as Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink. In addition to her acting career, Ringwald is also an author, singer, and dancer.
Works she has starred in include:
- Diff'rent Strokes (1979-80) as Molly Parker
- The Facts of Life (1979-80)
- Tempest (1982) as Miranda Dimitrius
- Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983) as Niki
- Sixteen Candles (1984) as Samantha "Sam" Baker
- The Breakfast Club (1985) as Claire Standish
- Pretty in Pink (1986) as Andie Walsh
- King Lear (1987) as Cordelia
- For Keeps (1988) as Darcy Bobrucz
- The Stand (1994) as Frannie Goldsmith
- Remember WENN (1996) as Angela Colton
- Saturday Night Live (1998) as Anne Frank (voice)
- Teaching Mrs. Tingle (1999) as Miss Banks
- The Outer Limits (2000) as Allison Channing
- The Street (2000) as Devyn Alden
- Not Another Teen Movie (2001) as Flight Attendant
- Medium (2006) as Kathleen Walsh
- The Secret Life of the American Teenager (2008-13) as Anne Juergens
- Psych (2011) as Nurse McElroy
- Rainbow Brite (2014) as Dark Princess (voice)
- Jem and the Holograms (2015) as Aunt Bailey
- Doc McStuffins (2016) as Darla (voice)
- Riverdale (2017-present) as Mary Andrews
- The Kissing Booth (2018) as June Flynn
- Tales of the City (2019) as Mrs. Duncan
- The Kissing Booth 2 (2020)
- Creepshow (2021) as Mrs. Porter
Books she has written include:
- When It Happens To You (2012)
Provides examples of:
- Adam Westing: Satirized herself as a Jaded Washout flight attendant in Not Another Teen Movie, where she called out how trite and insincere the Jerk Jock's apology was, and essentially lampshaded the entire ending scene.
- Double Acts and Groups: As part of the Brat Pack.
- Fanservice: The 1995 direct-to-video thriller Malicious has her topless for about thirty seconds. The Shower of Love scene from For Keeps could count as well.
- Large Ham: Good God, YES. For Keeps, Malicious, and The Stand are prime examples.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Ringwald's works often possess a cynical slant, with The Breakfast Club and The Pick-Up Artist being the more prominent examples. However, there's something to be said about the underlying sincerity and humanity that permeates her films.
- Statuesque Stunner: Stands at 5'8".
- Trademark Favorite Food/Bizarre Taste in Food: Famous during the Brat Pack years for going to at all the trendiest restaurants and ordering onion rings with the onions removed.
- What Could Have Been: She turned down roles in movies that could have saved her mainstream career. Including: Molly in Ghost, Kim in Edward Scissorhands, Claire in Days of Thunder, Kit in A League of Their Own and Dorothy in Jerry Maguire.