open/close all folders
- Character Development: As the group fight crime, they slowly but surly work out some of their flaws and problems in both their hero life and their civilian life.
- Foe Yay: A few of the villains they come across have the hots for a few of the members. Spike excluded of course.Rainbow Dash: Seriously. Just once, can't we have a villain who doesn't wanna get with one of us? Just once would be a nice change of pace!
- Home Base
- Poor Communication Kills: Well, not kills, but there are some aspects of their lives that the Power Ponies (particularly Applejack and Twilight) keep to themselves that end up causing quite a bit of trouble for the team.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Like in canon.
Twilight Sparkle/Masked Matterhorn
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Gadgeteer Genius: She is owner of her own Research, Inc., after all.
- Research, Inc.: Is the CEO and owner of one called Sparkle Labs. It finances many places in Maretropolis.
- Bad Liar
- Big Sister Instinct: To Apple Bloom and the team in general, most particularly Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash.
- Brutal Honesty: Like in canon, Applejack doesn't sugarcoat her opinion of things.
- Character Development: As the series goes on she becomes more open to working as part of a team and accepting help from her team-mates. This is most noticeable when interacting with Zapp/Rainbow Dash. By 'The Sirens Song,' they are each others' confidantes.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Doesn't Like Guns
- Don't Think, Feel: Her advice to Zapp to keep from getting overwhelmed by her powers.
- I Work Alone: Before joining the Power Ponies, she preferred being this, with the occasional reluctant team-up with the Masked Matterhorn.
- The Lancer: To the Masked Matterhorn.
- Team Mom: Second-in-command and it's easy to see why.
- What the Hell, Hero??: In "The Shadow King" arc, she rather harshly chewed out both Zapp and Fili-Second over being late to help her in an incident, causing property damage, and accusing them of not having a true reason for being heroes.
- Amulet of Concentrated Awesome
- Oblivious to Love: Had no idea her possessed boss was heavily crushing on her.
- Shock and Awe: Her powers come from the God of Lightning after all.
- Weather Manipulation
- Broken Pedestal: With Dee Tangler, realizing how insane she was before she became Mane-iac.
- Damsel out of Distress
- The Fashionista
- Afraid of Their Own Strength
- Apocalypse Maiden: Discord has been prophesied to be freed from his stone prison by a mortal pony. Despite Demeter's warning and Applejack and Rainbow Dash's attempts to prevent it, Fluttershy eventually (albeit unknowingly) does free him.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Fluttershy is naturally shy and quiet. But you do not want to make her mad.
- Broken Pedestal: Similar to Rarity meeting with Mane-iac, Fluttershy encountering Discord and realising he also wanted his Amulet of Chaos, made her rather angry with him.
- Cursed with Awesome: Fluttershy at first is too scared of losing control to join the Power Ponies and sees her 'gift' from Discord as a curse. Using it to do good greatly increases her confidence until she no longer wants to be rid of it.
- Obliviously Beautiful
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Fluttershy's eyes turning red is the first sign she's transforming.
- Gadgeteer Genius: In the Longhorn arc, Humdum has his own workshop on his floor in HQ where he can tinker with inventions. Which makes sense as he is raised by Twilight.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Inverted. Spike didn't tell the team that that he had installed trackers on the team's costumes after the Sombra incident. When he revealed this to Pinkie and Rarity in The Pharaoh's Curse arc, they were not amused.
- Mission Control
- What the Hell, Hero?: Rarity and Pinkie Pie were not happy that Spike installed trackers on everpony's costumes (his included) without telling anybody about it.
- Identity Impersonator: She masquerades as Radiance when Rarity is pony-napped. Using a device called holo-matic (created by Twilight), she sometimes still uses this device when Rarity isn't available at work.
- Instant Expert: Averted. Coco struggles to use Radiance's bracelets at first. It takes her several hours before she can use them well enough to combat the Mane-iac.
- Secret Keeper: One of the few who know who Radiance is.
- True Companions: With Rarity.
- Hero of Another Story
- Secret Keeper: As she was there when Dash first used the lightning bolt's powers, she knows about Rainbow Dash's Super Empowering even before she becomes Zapp.
- Surpassed the Teacher: She tells Dash at the end of the first arc that she has grown beyond just being Daring's assistant.
- The Chosen Wannabe: Downplayed, but she admits that the reason she originally kept the lightning bolt from Zapp was because she thought it would choose her.
- True Companions: In the end, she is the one to tell Rainbow Dash that Zeus' lightning bolt belongs to her.
- Arch-Enemy: Of Daring Do.
- Mugging the Monster: He kidnaps Fluttershy as a hostage. She smashes his warehouse to rubble.
- Would Hit a Girl: Has no problem fighting Daring and Rainbow, or threatening to kill Fluttershy.
- Mugging the Monster: He decides to have some 'fun' with Fluttershy after kidnapping her. Too bad he's unaware of her anger-management issues.
Dee Tangler/The Mane-iac
- Ambiguous Disorder
- Bad Boss: Even before she became Mane-iac, Dee Tangler was a rather terrible boss to work under, to say the least.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: While greatly much worped, Mane-iac still remembers and (sorta) values Rarity's friendship.
- Faux Affably Evil: She tried to portray herself as being polite towards her workers, both before and after her transformation but it's pretty clear that her insanity was always there under the surface.
- Secret Keeper: She figures out that Rarity is Radiance all by herself.
- Mooks: Her initial henchponies consists of her former employees, who are later given barbershop-style costumes as their get-up, courtesy of the kidnapped Rarity.
- Tragic Villain: All Sombra wanted to do was to help Radiant Hope to be able to walk again.
The Sirens (Adagio, Aria and Sonata)
- Deal with the Devil: With Circe.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!": When Marevelous and Zapp called upon Demeter and Zeus, some of them were scared, but they kept going. It was when Fluttershy called upon Discord when all of them were well and truly scared.
- Probably had one again when their medallions broke, meaning that now they are forced to work under Circe.
- Perky Female Minion: Sonata in comparison to her sisters.
- Villains Out Shopping: Sonata spends Part Two of the Sirens' Song Arc on a date with Pinkie Pie.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: They don't have the best relationship with their father Saturn.
- Adaptational Wimp: Played with. While Discord's personality hasn't changed, here he is not as powerful as he is in the show. He would need an artifact to increase his power in the mortal world. His power is only limitless in his Realm of Chaos. Not that is a bad thing.
- Artifact of Doom
- The Dreaded
- Mad God
- Morality Pet: Similar to canon, Fluttershy is the only pony he cares about. The change in his behaviour and attitude when she is in his presence is very noticeable.
- Shapeshifting Lover: Became this to Fluttershy after his arc in order to spend more time with her.
- Two-Person Love Triangle: He is attracted to Saddle Rager's chaotic nature, not knowing that she and Fluttershy are the same. As it happens Fluttershy is also attracted to both him and his alter-ego Delancey, unaware that they are the same person.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child: Discord implies that he has "caused many fillies to cry" but he is terrified when he thinks he has killed a young Fluttershy. Then again, it's Fluttershy.
The Phoneix/ Sunset Shimmer
- Compressed Hair: She hides her mane and tail to hide her idenity, and she calls out the Masked Matterhorn of not making a better effort of hiding her identity. Though she concedes to the fact that doing so was rather constricting.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: When she possessed the Alicorn Amulet, she manages to easily disarm and defeat the Power Ponies with much ease. And to add insult to injury, she also emotionally manipulates them to be off their guard.
- Evil Former Friend
- Laughing Mad: Does a maniacal chuckle on Twilight's offer of getting her treatment and them becoming friends again.
- Manipulative Bastard: While it may have been slightly influenced by the Alicorn Amulet, she really managed to emotionally manipulate the Power Ponies to break their guard and humiliate them.
- Villainous Crush
- We Can Rule Together: She says this towards Matter-Horn
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child: She seemed pretty incensed seeing Spike on the field, wrongly believing that the Matter Horn purposefully brought him to the field.
- Butt-Monkey: Though he is a jerk, he does go through a lot with his museum being damaged and or artifacts being damaged or destroyed; being possessed by his pharaoh ancestor, and then cursed by Discord to be his former persona, minus his powers. This despite the fact Discord was told outright that he didn't remember anything.