It is a series of stories that is set in an alternate world where the Mane Six (and Spike) are the Power Ponies, defending Maretropolis from various fiends.
Twilight Sparkle is known in all Maretropolis as a brilliant scientist, billionaire businesspony and philanthropist. Only her faithful assistant, the young dragon Spike, knows that she is also the city's alicorn protector, the Masked Matter-horn. But she has darker secrets too..
Applejack Smith comes from a long line of heroes, chosen by the Gracian goddess Demeter to wield her magical lasso, affectionately nicknamed "Ole Bessie". When her parents were killed by the outlaw King Longhorn, Applejack took up her family legacy and traced Longhorn to Maretropolis. Now she prowls the city at night hunting for her parents' killer and striking terror in the hearts of criminals as Mistress Mare-vellous, while maintaining uneasy relations with the Masked Matter-horn, stubbornly refusing any kind of partnership. When four new superheroes appear in Maretropolis, will she learn to work in a team? And what will happen when she finds Longhorn?
Applejack's timid, soft-spoken flatmate Fluttershy Buttercream hides a terrible secret. Ever since a mysterious incident while she was in flight school she transforms into the raging, super-strong Saddle Rager when she becomes angry. Will she ever see herself as anything but a monster? Will she learn to use her powers for good? And why is she strangely attracted to the Maretropolis museum's statue of Discord, the Gracian God of Chaos?
Rainbow Dash is the hard-working assistant of famous adventurer archeologist Daring Do. During a dig they uncover the Gracian God Zeus lightning bolt, which chooses Rainbow as its bearer. Will she accept the call to heroism? Well, duh! Soon the wise-cracking superhero Zapp is dealing out electric justice in Maretropolis. But being a superhero is not as easy as it looks. Will she prove herself a worthy bearer of the lightning bolt?
Rarity Belle is a clothes designer for Polomare Fashions, who unexpectedly comes into possesion of three magic jewels that enables her to create objects with her mind. First, she only uses them to make her work easier, but when her friend Coco Pommel is harmed in a monster rampage, she realizes that with great power comes great responsibility, and she decides to fight for good as the fabulous superhero Radiance. But soon she will be tempted by a darker path...
Pinkamina Diana Pie, AKA Pinkie Pie works on a rock farm with her family. While in Maretropolis to sell a shipment of rocks a freak accident involving a radioactive cup of coffee turns her into Filli-second, the fastest mare alive. But can life as a big city superhero be combined with helping her family?
The arcs thus far are:
- The Mane-Raising Joke
- The Shadow King
- The Sirens' Song
- Heart of Stone
- Don't Cry After Sunset
- Longhorn's Journey Into Night
- The Pharaoh's Curse
Has a character page in need of revising.
This Fanfic is protected by these Terrific TV Tropes
- Alphabet Architecture: The Power Ponies' headquarters, shaped like two imbricated P's. Just like in the My Little Pony Annual 2014 which it debuted from.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: The Mane-iac tries to break into Twilight's apartment, ponynaps Rarity, breaks into a glue factory... and then robs a Chineighse.
- Artifact of Doom: The Amulet of Chaos. An artifact given to Discord that greatly increases his power in the mortal world.
- Head of Anubis
- The Alicorn Amulet
- Played for Laughs with the Golden Ice Cream Scooper of Shanghay. (Though there is the matter of keeping the beings turned to ice cream safe from melting.)
- Author Appeal: Asexual awareness. DF herself is asexual, and Rainbow Dash is revealed to be asexual in the "Pharoh's Curse" arc when Mr. Fetlock tries hitting on her. He insists that asexuals don't actually exist.
- Bad Liar: Applejack, when trying to keep Fluttershy from visiting the museum.Applejack: Uh actually I was hopin' we'd go out tonight! To celebrate, uh life!
- Bedlam House: Balkham Asylum
- Bittersweet Ending:
- The Don't Cry After Sunset arc: Twilight Sparkle was able to convince Sunset to stop her rampage. However,she refuses her chance for redemption, noting she would most likely be sent to jail and her reputation even more tarnished. She also promises to tell all of Twilight's secrets if she tells the world that Sunset is The Phoenix. On the brighter side, Pinkie Pie saw The Phoenix's former lair as a good place for setting up her and Applejack's bakery, and the team had a heart to heart chat to promise to be truthful to one another. (Though it's not clear as to whether Applejack told them about her plans for Longhorn) The story ends with Twilight and Flash making up to each other.
- The Pharaoh's Curse: Though the day was saved, Mr. Fetlock ends up cursed by Discord as revenge for stealing Fluttershy, despite knowing full well Fetlock did not remember his actions, to become the Phony Pharaoh, only know lusting after treasure and losing access to the Egyptian gods powers. This curse would have been permanent had he not been bound by the Olympic Gods contract to give Fetlock a way out of it, so Discord arbitrarily decided to make so it would be broken when he found his one true love.
- Broken Pedestal: Rarity used to think highly of Dee Tangler, not even believing the stories of her questionable actions towards her workers. But when she was kidnapped by her as Mane-iac and finds that she also treats her workers poorly while having a false politeness like before, she realizes that Dee was insane even before she was Mane-iac.
- Character Focus: Although "Origins" focuses on each member of the Power Ponies equally, subsequent arcs tend to focus on one or more members in particular.
- The Mane-Raising Jokes: Radiance and Humdrum.
- The Shadow King: Zapp and to a lesser extent Filli-Second.
- The Siren's Song: Mare-vellous, Zapp and Saddle-Rager.
- Heart of Stone: Saddle-Rager.
- Don't Cry After Sunset: Matter-Horn.
- Longhorn's Journey Into Night: Humdrum and Mare-vellous
- The Pharaoh's Curse: Zapp and Saddle-Rager
- Curb-Stomp Battle:The Phoenix, powered by the Alicorn Amulet, made mincework of the Power Ponies, along with taunting the team. The only one who was able to have a better chance was the Masked Matterhorn, and they were evenly matched till one of them messes up.
- Darker and Edgier: It is around chapter 2 of The Siren's Song that the author changed the series ratings to rated T for Teen.
- Dating Catwoman: The Phoenix and the Masked Matterhorn. However, this is more or less one-sided on the Phoenix part, as Masked Matterhorn didn't even realize she loves her until she tells her point-blank.
- Damsel out of Distress: Rarity when kidnapped by Mane-iac. Without using her superpowers.
- Den of Iniquity: In Longhorn's Journey Into Night part 2, Humdrum enters such a place. Many villains reappear in here, such as Mane-iac, the Diamond Dogs henchmen, and even Trixie (who had just went to prison in part 1!)
- The Dreaded: Discord. It took all twelve of the gods to turn him into stone.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Spike really dislikes his code-name Humdrum. Made worse by the circumstances: Near the end of the second arc in which he makes his first appearance, Starlight Glimmer called his outfit being "humdrum." He said it in shock and anger, and the crowd mistook that as being his name, and thus everyone calls him that.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: A recurring characteristic. Ahuizotl loves his cats, Mane-iac still recalls a distorted affection for Rarity, Sombra and Discord both genuinely care for their respective love interests, and Longhorn has his daughter Madcow.
- Evil Former Friend: Dee Tangler for Rarity. Sunset Shimmer for Twilight.
- Expy: Each of the Power Ponies can be considered one of at least one comic book superhero:
- Twilight Sparkle/Masked Matterhorn: Batman (secret identity) and Superman (powers).
- Applejack/Mistress Mare-velous: Wonder Woman with Batman's attitude and similar backstory.
- Rainbow Dash/Zapp: Thor.
- Pinkie Pie/Fili-Second: The Flash.
- Fluttershy/Saddle Rager: The Hulk.
- Rarity/Radiance: Green Lantern.
- Spike/Humdrum: Robin.
- Dee Tangler/The Mane-iac: Lena Luthor (Dee), The Joker and Doctor Octopus (Mane-iac).
- Sombra/The Shadow King: The Mad Hatter (Batman villain) and Man-Bat.
- Sunset Shimmer/The Phoenix: Catwoman and The Riddler.
- Fake Weakness: The Power Ponies capture Discord with Demeter's Lasso and lock him in a magically-enforced cell. As Daring points out a few paragraphs later, it took all twelve gods just to turn him to stone and therefore Demeter's Lasso is nowhere near enough to restrain him. The only reason he allowed himself to be captured was to get close to Fluttershy.
- Forged by the Gods: Demeter's Lasso and Zeus's Lightning Bolt
- Home Base: The Power Ponies headquarters building.
- Identity Impersonator: Spike usually does this whenever Twilight has to be at two places at once with being the Masked Matterhorn, disguising himself as her. He does this with a device Twilight created called the holo-matic, which is a metallic device strapped across the users chest to present a hologram of somebody else. Coco Pommel would later use this to disguise herself as Radiance in the Mane-iac.
- Immune to Mind Control: As in canon The Dazzlings hypnotize everypony into adoring them through their singing. However Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are unaffected by The Siren's song because of their unique connections to Demeter, Zeus and Discord.
- Mission Control: Spike is usually the one who helps direct the Power Ponies on their missions.
- Noodle Incident: The old homeless shelter Sombra and Radiant Heart worked in was closed down due to in an incident involving a hydra and a giant banana. Yeah.
- Oblivious to Love: Twilight, specifically towards the fact that Sunset loves her.
- One-Winged Angel: The Phoenix using the Alicorn Amulet.
- Paper-Thin Disguise:
- Rainbow hides her identity as Zapp by wearing glasses and hiding the amulet.
- Pinkie tries to hide her identity with a pair of fake glasses
- Canterlot Maximum Security Prison
- Power of Trust: This seems to be the main theme of the whole series thus far. The Power Ponies forming a team, and slowly trying to trust each other.
- Research, Inc.: Sparkle Labs and Glimmer Industries
- Retired Badass: Twelve Gracian gods decided to retire from interfering with the mortal world some two thousand years ago. However, not to leave the ponies defenseless, they created artifacts of their power to be wielded by their mortal champions.
- Zapp is repeatedly told that you can not hide your secret identity just by taking off your glasses.
- The Pharaoh's Curse arc is inspired by the Miraculous Ladybug episode "The Pharaoh"
- Super Empowering: Rainbow Dash and Applejack gained their abilities when Demeter and Zeus chose them as their Vassals. This gave them a piece of their respective Olympian's power. Discord unintentionally did this to Fluttershy, unbeknownst to either of them.
- Super Fic
- Superheroes Wear Tights: Or jumpsuits as they are called.
- Talking in Your Dreams: Discord and Fluttershy start to do this around the third arc.
- Two-Person Love Triangle: Fluttershy and Discord. Fluttershy starts dating Delancey, who is Discord is disguise, while still attracted to Discord. Meanwhile, Discord loves Fluttershy, but is attracted to Saddle Rager after fighting her.
- Wham Episode
- Heart of Stone: Part 3-Twilight reveals that she has a secret study that contains information and artifacts on Dark magic and other forbidden magics.
- Wham Line:
- Radiant Heart: "I'll fix you Sombra, no matter what it takes." said while holding the last serum of Sombra's that she hid from Twilight.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Very much applies to Sombra and the Mane-iac, though the latter wasn't all that stable to start off with.
- You Are the New Trend: As a result of Rarity having noted herself as being the creator of the Power Ponies costumes back at Origins, this started a fashion fad of ponies wearing jumpsuits. This also leads to Dee Tangler getting her own jummpsuit Which will be the suit Mane-iac is most famous for.