You think these Ojou Ringlets are extreme, you should see the curling irons!
When the writers decide to play with a trope
by raising the results to the extreme.
Since Tropes Are Flexible
, they can be taken to various degrees. This is about taking them to degrees much higher than typical, often to ridiculous extremes.
In short, this is why The Same but More
warns that higher degrees of tropes
alone are not new tropes. Those are simply Playing with a Trope
This is usually done for parody
, but there can be other reasons to do this.
, Serial Escalation
, Up to Eleven
, Refuge in Audacity
, Logical Extreme
Contrast Downplayed Trope
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
Live Action TV
- iCarly does this with Comedic Sociopathy.
- A Too Dumb to Live drug dealer in the Castle episode "Sucker Punch" has an exaggerated version of Cut Himself Shaving inflicted on him. His injuries are very obviously the result of being beaten half to death by the local Irish mob ("very obviously," as in Castle and Beckett literally walked in on the beating), but he explains it has having fallen down the stairs. And his eye being swollen shut due to having hit a door on his way down. And his mangled hand as a result of getting it caught in a grate at the bottom.
- Warhammer 40,000: In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only GRIMDARKness turned up to 40,000!
- Pretty much every other trope that it uses: Hyper Space Is A Scary Place (it is hell, quite literally), Warrior Monk, Super Soldier, Church Militant (those last three all relate to each other), BFG, BFS (often combined with Chainsaw Good), Cool Tank, Tank Goodness, We Have Reserves (to the point where the Chinese forces in the Korean War and the Red Army seem to be places where you have a decent chance of survival in comparison to the Imperial Guard), Kill It with Fire, and Black and Grey Morality (turned into Black and Black Morality frequently) are some of the most obviously exaggerated ones.
- Exalted exaggerates... well... as many tropes as it's (super-)humanly possible to put in a heroic fantasy. To not exaggerate the length of this page we suggest you to head on to its works page.
- Disgaea does this with Character Levels, including going literally Over Nine Thousand.
- Megaman Battle Network = Everything Is Online. No, everything. That doghouse out front, too. And the squirrel statue.
- Ōkami does this with Friend to All Living Things, cranking up Amaterasu's animal magnetism far beyond "fuzzy woodland creatures love her" to reach "flowers literally bloom wherever she walks."
- As shown above, the hairstyle of Rival Schools' Yurika Kirishima takes Ojou Ringlets to a ridiculous level.
- Touhou Soccer does this to most things that appear in it. For example, It's take on Absurdly Sharp Blade has Youmu cut the moon in half with her katana.
- In Dragon Age II, the silly dialogue got this treatment.
- Ginormo Sword. Take a guess.
- The X-Encyclopedia makes mention of several Planet Spaceship built by Kardashev-abusing Sufficiently Advanced Aliens that are each the size of an entire solar system.
- Asura's Wrath does this for any Rage and anger tropes, as well as super strength, and, later, Humongous Mecha tropes similar to the aniem examples above in it's final DLC chapter.