Characters: The Princess and the Frog
open/close all folders
"The only thing I know, is that one minute I am a prince, charming and handsome, cutting-a-rug, and the next thing I know...I am tripping over these."
The prince of Maldonia. Naveen is a ne'er-do-well and playboy who has been cut off from his family's riches until he learns the value of responsibility.
Voiced by: Bruno Campos
- Break the Haughty: Cutting him off was supposed to do this to him, but the true kicker was the admission that he "didn't know how to do anything." Even turning into a frog didn't bother him unduly.
- Brilliant but Lazy: He's a polyglot, decently educated in science (frog biology at the minimum), and can adapt impressively well to being a frog for a guy that has spent his life being waited on hand and foot. The real reason his parents disowned him was his laziness.
- Cannot Spit It Out: After falling for Tiana he becomes awkward whenever he tries to say anything.
- Butt Monkey: Gets hurt a lot over the course of the movie. It's all done in the name of humor of course.
- The Casanova: Introduced charming the locals and Faciler's song includes partying with ladies.
- Catch Phrase: Naveen exclaims "Achidanza" when surprised or impressed, a Maldonian word meaning "cool" according to some of the Disney tie-in books.
- Character Development: From lazy prince to wise prince.
- Chick Magnet: Has a lot of girls swooning over him.
- Chivalrous Pervert: For all his womanizing, he appears to respect women.
- Cultured Badass: The "Cultured" part was first, the "Badass" part came later.
- Deadpan Snarker: He comes up with the best snarky remarks.
- Deal with the Devil: Shaking Faciler's hand was supposed to solve his money problems. Instead it got him turned into a frog.
- Digging Yourself Deeper
Naveen: "You have had quite an influence on me, which is amazing because I have dated thousands of women and- *Tiana looks annoyed* uh, no, like, two, three- er, just other woman! And anyway, listen, you could not be more different, you know, you are- you are practically, aheh, one of the guys! *Tiana looks affronted* Nonono, you are not a guy! Let me begin again. Uh-" *stumbles and falls to the floor along with the food* "I... am not myself tonight."
- Don't Explain the Joke: Naveen explains the joke he made after he accidentally causes Lawrence to get his head stuck into a giant tuba.
Naveen: It's perfect. You're finally getting into the music! Do you get my joke? Because your head is, it is in the tuba!
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Tiana after they fight the redneck frog hunters together.
- Forgotten First Meeting: When Naveen initially arrived, he tried to woo Tiana while she was cleaning tables, but she ignored him. He fails to recognize her when they meet again at the party.
Charlotte "Lottie" LaBouff
"Oh, Tia, honey, did you see the way he danced with me? A marriage proposal can't be far behind. Thank you, Evening Star!"
A wealthy Southern débutante and Tiana's best friend since childhood.
Voiced by: Jennifer Cody, Breanna Brooks (as a child)
"I've got friends on the other side..."
A voodoo witch doctor and the film's main antagonist.
"Louis would give anything to play jazz with the big boys!"
A friendly, neurotic, trumpet-playing alligator whose dream is to become human so he can join a jazz band.
Voiced by: Michael-Leon Wooley
A Cajun firefly who knows Mama Odie and is in love with the Evening Star, which he believes is another firefly named "Evangeline".
- Go Out with a Smile: He's happy when his light goes out. Did he know about the ascension?
- Green-Eyed Monster: Acts like this when he accuses Prince Naveen of being in love with Evangeline.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He wipes out the shadows to buy time for Tiana. Then Facilier wipes him out.
- He's Dead, Jim: Declared so after Faciler steps on him.
- Hidden Depths: Ray appears at first to be a stereotypical hillbilly-type, but he turns out to be one of the most insightful, caring, and helpful people in the group. He's also competent, which goes a long way when the first two things he does are untying Naveen and Tiana (after Louis's well-meaning attempt made things much worse), and pointing out that Louis had been leading them in the wrong direction.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: He gives great directions, has a great singing voice, and has the power to zap shadow demons.
- Killed Off for Real: Poor ol' Ray was the first Disney protagonist since Mufasa to suffer this fate at the hands of a villain. It's bittersweet since he turned into a star after dying.
- Meaningful Name: Name is Ray, and he gives off light.
- Nice Guy: One of the nicest guys in the movie.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Averted. When helping Naveen and Tiana, both of them are frogs.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Watch him zap the shadows with his tail light! Sure, he's exploiting a Weaksauce Weakness, but it's still impressive.
- Shipper on Deck: While he is officially singing "Ma Belle Evangeline" to his star love, he spends the song setting the mood for Naveen and Tiana to have a moment.
- Smarter Than You Look: He looks like a stereotypical hillbilly but he's both smart and insightful.
- Tragic Dream: He wishes to be with his beloved Evangeline: too bad she's a star. Subverted when after his death he got reunited with her
- You Shall Not Pass: Keeps the shadows from advancing to Naveen's location.
A blind voodoo priestess. Tiana and Naveen search for her in hopes that she can help them turn back to humans.
Voiced by: Jenifer Lewis
- Big Good: She is known as queen of the Bayou and is the most powerful vodoo practioner on the heroic side.
- Cool Old Lady: She's the page image; a witty old mentor figure that zaps demons.
- Cool Shades: Justified, she's blind. Her eyes are apparently kept in a jar, and move to follow Tiana and Naveen.
- Does Not Like Shoes: She doesn't wear shoes. Justified, since she is blind and possibly needs them bare.
- Dope Slap:
Mama Odie: (to Tiana and Naveen) Now, y'all figure out what you need?
Tiana: It's just like you said, Mama Odie. We need to be human.
Mama Odie: HA! Y'all ain't got the sense you was born with! Y'all want to be human, but you're blind to what you need.
Naveen: What we want, what we need. It's all the same thing, yes?
Mama Odie: (smacks Naveen over the head with her staff) It's the same thing, NO!
- Dynamic Entry: She makes her first appearance rescuing Tiana and friends from the Friends On The Other Side.
- Eccentric Mentor: She likes playing pranks and being mystic while dispending wisdom.
- Expy: Suga Momma?! That you?
- Gold and White Are Divine: Her style of dress is white, gold, and makes her look like a wise old sage.
- Good Counterpart: To Dr. Facilier. The key difference is that Dr. Facilier offers his clients the easy way out (i.e. supposedly giving them what they want for free), then gives them exactly what they asked for, while Mama Odie teaches her clients to understand what they need instead of what they want (she is aware that simply giving them what they want will not solve their problems). Some further elements emphasize this relationship between them:
- Facilier is a stick-thin, wiry man. Mama is a portly woman.
- Facilier wears black, Mama Odie wears white.
- Facilier is affiliated with darkness, Mama Odie uses light magic.
- They are both associated with snakes - Mama has a cute and helpful snake pet while Facilier's shadow occasionally takes a sinister rattlesnake's shape.
- Facilier's so-called "friends" are all dead spirits and demons, while Mama Odie has actual friends in living animals.
- Facilier holds his business in the middle of the city, where the weak-willed can easily run into him. Odie's shack is in the middle of the darkest part of the bayou, where only the worthy can find her.
- Handicapped Badass: After zapping the shadows she says, "Not too bad for a two hundred year old blind woman!"
- Inexplicably Awesome: Like Faciler, her past and powers are not touched on.
- Light 'em Up: Her staff can blast light rays. It is used as a weapon against the Friends On The Other Side.
- Light Is Good: The polar opposite of Facilier, she wears gold and white, fends off the Friends On The Other Side with blasts of light from her staff, and ends her musical number with a sunshine-filled sky. "Blue skies and sunshine, guaranteed!"
- Really 700 Years Old: She is two-hundred years old and spry for her age.
- Senior Sleep Cycle: She can sometimes fall asleep rather unexpectedly.
- Trickster Mentor: She was fully aware that the spell would break if Naveen and Tiana married as frogs, then kissed - since that would make Tiana a princess. But she prefers to let the protagonists find that out on their own.
- Woman in White: She wears a white dress to emphasize her nature as a mistress of light magic and Good Counterpart to Facilier.
Mama Odie's pet snake and her loyal assistant.
- Animorphism: Mama Odie changes him into a dog, a pig, a cow and a goat during one verse of "Dig A Little Deeper".
- Beleaguered Assistant: It's not easy working for Odie when you have to be her walking stick and demonstration of her shapeshifting magic.
- Butt Monkey: "Dig A Little Deeper" has him swiftly changed into many different creatures.
- Loyal Animal Companion: Supposedly, he's been with Odie for a long time.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: Thoroughly inverted. He might be the cutest snake ever put to paper.
- The Voiceless: Although he seems to possess the same level of sapience as Mama Odie's spoonbills, he does not talk.
Prince Naveen's valet, whom Dr. Facilier recruits as a partner in his Evil Plan
by transforming him to look like Naveen using a blood charm.
Voiced by: Peter Bartlett
- Beleaguered Assistant: He carries all of Naveen's luggage but receives no gratitude.
- Butt Monkey: "You've been pushed around all your life....your mother and your sister and your brother."
- Dirty Coward: Doesn't like the voodoo and would have backed out if Faciler didn't threaten him.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He manages to ruin the plan due to his concern for Navies gasping for air when imprisoned in a glass jar.
- Evil Brit: His accent says Brit and his compliance with the Evil Plan is the evil.
- Fat Bastard: For all that he works for Naveen, he has a well fed belly.
- Gold Digger: He tries to marry Charlotte as Naveen because of her money.
- The Jeeves: Naveen's servant.
- Revenge: His motivation for teaming up with Facilier.
- Unwitting Pawn: He likely doesn't even know that Facilier's endgame is to sacrifice a good part of the city to voodoo demons.
Eli "Big Daddy" LaBouff
A wealthy Southern sugar mill owner and Charlotte's father.
Voiced by: John Goodman
- Adipose Rex: He's overweight and one of the most powerful individuals in New Orleans on account of his sugar plantation.
- Big Eater: He frequently orders large quantities of pastries from Tiana.
- Big Fun: A tall and fat guy with a jovial attitude and apparently very popular in New Orleans.
- Doting Parent: He's the one that spoiled Charlotte.
- Fat, Sweaty Southerner in a White Suit: A positive example as he is polite, affable and perfectly happy at the prospect of his daughter marrying a man with dark skin.
- Good Parents: Though more through luck than skill - he spoils Charlotte dreadfully, but it seems to have worked out for the best.
- Meaningful Name: "La Bouffe" in French means "The Grub" as in "food". Appropriate for a Big Eater...
- Uncle Pennybags: He is a doting parent and hosts excellent parties, not to mention he's an excellent tipper.
Stella the Basset Hound
- Suddenly Voiced: The first sign that Tiana and Naveen can understand other animals is when Stella speaks to them.
James and Eudora
King and Queen of Maldonia
- Good Parents: Zigzagged. They're at least partially responsible for Naveen turning into a lazy flirt but they recognize that they made a mistake and want him to grow into a mature and self-sufficent adult. Their solution is shipping him to another country with no one but a valet so he can marry a Meal Ticket. Then they appear at his wedding to Tianna and are happy to see him marry a commoner he's in love with.
- No Name Given: Probably because they don't appear until the end.
Voiced by: Seth R. Williamson
- Companion Cube: Unless this is an Interspecies Romance, Ray is romancing a ball of flaming gas.
- Expy: The Wishing Star from Pinocchio. Similarly, Ray becomes the Second Star To The Right from Peter Pan once he dies and becomes a star along side her.
- Meaningful Name:
- Evangeline is the name of a parish in Louisiana.
- "Evangeline" is from a Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem. In this poem an Acadian woman looking for her lost husband after they were separated in the ethnic cleansing of Acadians from their homeland that started in 1755. Some Acadians migrated to Louisiana after this and over time became known as Cajuns. Ray is a Cajun firefly, so the name of his true love is ethnically significant.
- Shrinking Violet: Well, according to Ray anyway.
The Friends On The Other Side
- Bigger Bad: They're more powerful than Falcier, but they're not involved with his plan. It's like they're investors watching from the sidelines.
- Deal with the Devil: They grant power to humans in exchange for that human's soul. Defaulting on this debt is a very bad thing.
- Eldritch Abomination: All of them are merciless creatures from another world that does not obey the physical laws governing this one.
- Non Indicative Name: They are certainly not your friends. This name is likely similar to the treatment of the Fair Folk. It's a polite name because you don't want to offend them.
- Weakened by the Light: Mama Odie can zap them with her staff to make them go away.
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form: What they are precisely is unclear. All we see are shadows or living masks.