Voiced by: Yoji Matsuda (JP), Billy Crudup (EN)
- All-Loving Hero: The voice of peace between the humans of Iron Town and the animals/spirits/deities of the forest. Without him the movie would have been much shorter and very bloody.
- Archer Archetype: While a skilled swordsman, his truly badass feats are performed with his bow. He also proves himself perfectly capable of living alone in the wilderness without other people.
- Bad Ass Normal: Even before receiving the curse, Ashitaka manages to kill an enormous boar demon singlehandedly.
- Better as Friends: While San does come to reciprocate his feelings, at the end, they realize that neither of them could give up their lives for each other, and the two part, promising to still meet as friends.
- Mark of the Beast: His curse manifests as a large, nasty scar which starts on his arm and spreads throughout his body.
- Martial Pacifist: Ashitaka is a pacifist in a world where humans and nature are at war. The funny thing is Ashitaka actually aims to be a Badass Pacifist, but what keeps him from reaching that is the fact that he will kill you if you leave him no other choice.
- Memento Macguffin: The crystal necklace that he gets from Kaya for good luck and so he won't forget her. He later gives it to the wolves, as a token for San.
- Tranquil Fury: When striding slowly in to break up the fight between San and Lady Eboshi.
Voiced by: Yuriko Ishida (JP), Claire Danes (EN)
- Human Sacrifice: How her parents gave her up - Moro caught them trespassing in the forest, and they threw San at her feet as they fled. By the way, San was still an infant at this point.
- Intimate Healing: When San feeds a wounded Ashitaka, who is too weak to even chew, by chewing up the meat for him and then transferring it from her mouth to his.
- Jungle Princess: She is referred by Iron Town as "The Princess of the Vengeful (forest) spirits". She dresses the part.
- Nature Hero: Provides the page image.
- Not Good with People: Has a distrust of other humans due to being raised in the forest.
- Parental Abandonment: A more literal case, since her human parents essentially abandoned her in order to save their own lives when Moro caught them trespassing.
- Raised by Wolves: She was raised by the wolf goddess Moro.
Voiced by: Yuko Tanaka (JP), Minnie Driver (EN)
- An Arm and a Leg: Gets her arm bitten off by Moro.
- Anti-Villain: She is overall a rather considerate leader, kind to lepers, prostitutes and the disenfranchised and has her town's best interests at heart. Her violence, arrogance and antagonism are rather understandable when you consider how she is being proverbially roasted by wild animal gods on one end and by other warlords on the other.
- Badass Boast
: Now watch closely, everyone. I'm going to show you how to kill a god
. A god of life and death. The trick is not to fear him.
- Ironic Echo: "If you cut off a wolf's head, it can still bite you." And so it does.
Voiced by: Akihiro Miwa (JP), Gillian Anderson (EN)
- Last Breath Bullet: Her decapitated head charges forward and chews off Eboshi's arm after she's killed.
- Noble Wolf: She is a protector of her pack, of the forest, and adopted San when her parents abandoned her.
Voiced by: Kaoru Kobayashi (JP), Billy Bob Thornton (EN)
- Affably Evil: He just never stops being so pleasant and personable, even when he's vaguely threatening you. Or trying to kick your ass.
- Anti-Villain: Wants to kill the Forest Spirit for money. Outside of his greed he really isn't antagonistic.
- Evil All Along: He doesn't appear to be a bad guy when we first meet him.
The Spirit of the Forest
- Fertile Feet: Although the plants that sprout up where he steps will immediately die afterwards.
- Old Soldier: He's ancient, but still leading his boars into battle.