Creator: Claire Danes
Claire Catherine Danes (born April 12, 1979) is an American actress. She has appeared as Angela Chase in My So-Called Life, as Juliet in Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet, as Cosette in Les MisÚrables, as Yvaine in Stardust, and as the titular Temple Grandin in the HBO television film. She stars as Carrie Mathison in the Showtime series Homeland. For her work, she has received three Emmy Awards and four Golden Globe Awards.
She appeared in
- Law & Order
- Little Women
- My So-Called Life
- How To Make An American Quilt
- William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet
- The Rainmaker
- Les MisÚrables (1998)
- The Mod Squad
- Brokedown Palace
- Princess Mononoke
- The Vagina Monologues
- The Hours
- The Rage in Placid Lake
- Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
- The Family Stone
- Me and Orson Welles
- Temple Grandin
- Career Resurrection: After the back-to-back disastrous flops of The Mod Squad and Brokedown Palace in 1999, she made a gradual comeback during the Turn of the Millennium in films like The Hours, Shopgirl, Stardust and Me and Orson Welles. However, Temple Grandin is truly her "return to glory", quickly followed by Homeland.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: She occasionally play Ms. Fanservice characters.
- Fake Brit: In Stardust, which she pulls off almost flawlessly.
- Hide Your Pregnancy: She was pregnant while filming the second season of Homeland. Ironically, her character ended up pregnant in the third!
- Romance on the Set: She and Billy Crudup became a couple while filming Stage beauty. She met her eventual husband, Hugh Dancy on the set of Evening.
- Star-Derailing Role: The Mod Squad and Brokedown Palace not only slowed her career, but an unflattering comment she made at the country the latter film was shot at resulted in her films being banned there for years. She did apologized though.
- Star-Making Role: In My So-Called Life.
- Those Two Actors: Defied. She turned down the role in Titanic to avoid this (See below).
- What Could Have Been:
- Flew to L.A. for the casting of Schindlers List, after she was discovered for the role in My So-Called Life. Steven Spielberg finally gave her the role but had to turn it down, because they weren't willing to give her tutoring in Poland.
- Was considered for the title role in Lolita.
- Auditioned and was the first choice for the role of Rose in Titanic. She ultimately turned it down as she had just finished working with Leonardo DiCaprio on William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet. Though she described working with him on that film as a "treat", she admitted in an interview later that if she had accepted the role in Titanic, she would not have been able to get away from him.
- Auditioned for the role of Lisa in Girl Interrupted.