Characters: Pitch Perfect
open/close all folders
- Accidental Misnaming: Luke keeps calling her "Becky". A deleted scene has her correct him.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She is as beautiful as she is proud and distant.
- Character Development: Starts off aloof and detached from college life, but eventually learns to work with, lead, and genuinely desire the success of the Bellas.
- Chekhov's Hobby and Skill: The film heavily emphasizes her love of mashing-up songs. This becomes useful in the Bellas' final performance.
- Deadpan Snarker: Her replies to the zany cast usually takes the form of snide comments and stoic snark.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She's pretty cool towards Jesse, and especially the Bellas, but warms up later on.
- Dismotivation: She could care less about building a social life, let alone college itself. She only grits her teeth and bears it so that she can get her father's support to pursue her dream of becoming a music producer.
- Fish out of Water: An "alternative" loner who joins a competitive a capella group.
- Follow in My Footsteps: Her father really wants Beca to graduate from college like he did, but Beca just wants to be independent and make music.
- The Heroine: She is the main character of the story.
- I Choose to Stay: In the end, she remains in college to lead the Bellas rather than drop out like she intended.
- I Did What I Had to Do: She stated this as the reason she broke the Bella's routine in the semi-finals. Aubrey and some of the Bellas are not pleased.
- The Lancer: While she is The Hero of the story, she's the one who frequently questions Aubrey's authority and advances The Team on her own terms.
- Loony Friends Improve Your Personality: It is through the friendships of 'Fat' Amy, Jesse and Chloe that she is able to put the Bellas on the path to success.
- Missing Mom: Only her father makes an appearance.
- One of the Boys: Beca reveals that she never had female friends, and was secretly happy to have gained some in the Bellas.
- Only Sane Woman: Aside from her anti-social nature, she's the only member without an obvious quirk.
- A Protagonist Shall Lead Them: Near the end, Aubrey steps down as the Bellas' leader because she realized that Beca's innovative ideas will favor the group better in the finals. After Aubrey and Chloe's graduation, she officially becomes The Leader of the group.
'Fat' Amy aka 'Fat' Patricia
- Awesome Aussie: "I've wrestled crocodiles and dingoes simultaneously."
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Bumper. In the sequel she's eager to take him up on his offer of having sex... if only he can take the hint.
- The Big Girl: She's usually the member of the group who enjoys the group's dance routines and clamors for solos. She's physically the biggest as well. Ironically, she's the only one who skipped the cardio training.
- *Cough* Snark *Cough*: To Cynthia Rose during the scene where the Bellas are sharing "secrets":
Amy: *cough* Lesbi-onest.
Cynthia Rose: I have a gambling addiction.
Amy: Wait for it.
Cynthia Rose: Which started after I broke up with my girlfriend.
Amy: Whoomp, there it is.
- Funny Foreigner: She's both Australian and rather quirky.
- Ambiguously Bi: She's definitely into dudes (we see her in the shower with a naked guy and later making out with a different guy) but she also seems very fond of Beca...
- Beware the Nice Ones: Probably the nicest character in the film (or tied with Benji), making her Shut Up, Hannibal! moment all the more awesome.
- Cool Big Sis: Acts very mentor-like to the newest Bellas.
- Covert Pervert: She opens admits that she masturbates to "Titanium"
- Discard and Draw: After removing her nodes she loses her ability to sing above G-sharp, but instead is able to sing in Basso Profundo.
- Extreme Doormat: Aubrey walks all over her for most of the movie.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Is said to be friends with Aubrey for years.
- The Lancer: She is both Aubrey's long-time friend, Foil and her deputy in the Bellas.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: Admitting the loss of her ability to sing G-sharp is heartbreaking for her.
- Ms. Fanservice: Aside from her infamous Shower Scene, she's prone to Male Gaze.
- No Sense of Personal Space: She has no problem bursting in on Beca during her shower while both are naked.
- Number Two: She is the deputy leader of the Bellas.
- Only Sane Man: Of the Bellas, at first, although she clearly has some quirks of her own.
- Really Gets Around: Not as explicit as Stacie, but we see her fooling around with two different guys in the film with ease...
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Aubrey's red.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: She finally stands up to Aubrey before actually trying to assault her.
- Vocal Dissonance: Having her nodes surgically removed considerably deepens her singing voice.
Played by: Hana Mae Lee
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Some of her lines imply this.
- Chekhov's Hobby: You see her hanging around a hip-hop crowd near the end of the film, right? Of course it's going to be brought up.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: You don't see someone making snow angels in a puddle of vomit very often. Some of her dialogue, whispered or otherwise, also counts.
- Easter Egg: You would probably need to rent and rewatch the movie carefully to hear what exactly Lily is saying. And some of it is... really bizarre.
- Funny Foreigner: She's both Japanese and very quirky.
- Hidden Depths: The girl can beatbox like a pro.
- The Quiet One: She can never utter anything louder than a whisper (except for one time, which prompts Fat Amy to respond that there's no need to shout).
- Shrinking Violet: Not so much near the end.
- Token Minority: While not the only Asian character in the film, she's the only Asian member of the Bellas.
Played by: Ester Dean
Played by: Alexis Knapp
Denise, Ashley and Jessica
Denise is played by: Wanetah Walmsley
Ashley is played by: Shelley Regner
Jessica is played by: Kelley Alice Jakle
- Amicable Exes: If Denise is indeed Cynthia-Rose's ex-girlfriend.
- Butch Lesbian: Denise Zig-Zagged this. While definitely not feminine, she's still not as masculine as her implied ex-lover.
- The Generic Girls: Jessica and Ashley. Denise at least got a little backstory regarding her alleged past relationship with Cynthia-Rose.
- Living Props: Aubrey later lampshaded this and directly said (to Jessica and Ashley at least) that they're just... there.
Aubrey: "Jessica and Ashley, it is like you haven't been here all year long!'"
Jessica: "Aubrey, really?!'"
Ashley: "We've literally been here the whole time!'"
- The Reveal: Possibly. Denise is later implied to be Cynthia-Rose's ex-girlfriend.
- Statuesque Stunner: Ashley is the second tallest Bella after Stacie and is a Huge Schoolgirl to boot.
- Those Three Girls: They're members of the Bellas who are, well, members of the Bellas.
Played by: Adam DeVine
- Big Bad: The closest thing the movie has to one. He provides the initial threat that instigates Aubrey's Character Development.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: As soon as he ditches the Treblemakers, everyone agrees he was a jerk.
- It's All About Me: At the end of the day, he only cares about what he thinks is best for him.
- Jerkass: Displayed here and there, but solidified when he cheerfully abandons the team before finals.
- The Leader: Of the Treblemakers until he leaves.
- Karma Houdini: The last time he's heard of, he was off to the "big leagues" (being background singer to John Mayer).
- Token Evil Teammate: While the Trebles are stand-up guys, he is blatantly obnoxious, despicable and is proud of it. He's such a jerk that he even dropped the teammate part altogether.
- Two First Names: His last name is a more appropriate given name.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Bumper Allen.
Played by: Skylar Astin
- Adorkable: His adorably cheesy attempts at winning over Beca.
- Deadpan Snarker: When he's around Benji early on, he doesn't pull his punches.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Towards Beca.
- Manic Pixie Dream Guy: He's handsome, upbeat, a great singer, and constantly trying to break down Beca's defensive walls.
- The Movie Buff: Has a particular interest in iconic soundtracks, which he tries to share with Beca.
- Token Good Teammate: To the Trebles. While the others are not Jerkasses, they sometimes go along with Bumper's antics. He later shared this role with Benji, though the other Trebles have probably Took a Level in Kindness at that point.
- Unknown Rival: He appears to compete with Luke for Beca's affections. Not that there's going on with them for the matter. And he ultimately "won" anyway.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Beca finally gets sick of his constantly butting into situations that don't concern him after she gets mistakenly arrested and gives him this reaction.
- To be fair, each time he "butts in," he is genuinely trying to help, and one of the times his intervention is a direct result of being personally named in a manner he doesn't appreciate. You kind of need his sort of help when you're getting arrested. He's a good candidate for Dogged Nice Guy.
Played by: Utkarsh Ambudkar
Played by: Michael Viruet
Played by: Ben Platt
- Adorkable: Even moreso than Jesse with his general enthusiasm and nerd gear.
- Ascended Fanboy: He eventually replaces Bumper just in time for the a capella finals.
- Chekhov's Gunman: He's rejected from the Treblemakers and fades into the benches, but later helps Loophole Abuse The Bellas into the finals.
- The Danza: He is played by Ben Platt.
- Eleventh Hour Ranger: Officially becomes a Treblemaker in the finals.
- Hollywood Nerd: He does magic and makes nerd references.
- Loony Fan: Of the Treblemakers, even after Bumper insults him and rejects his audition.
- Stage Magician: His dream. He practices magic tricks regularly.
John Smith and Gail Abernathy-McKinnon
John is played by: John Michael Higgins
Played by: Jinhee Joung
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Being Asian, it's justified that she has dark hair. But not the rudeness, obviously.
- Defrosting Ice Queen/Pet the Dog: After Beca is kicked out of the Bellas and rejected by Jesse, Kimmy surprises her by wishing her a happy Spring Break on her way out the door.
- Jerkass: She's unnecessarily rude to Beca, giving her a cold shoulder for much of the film.
Played by: Freddie Stroma
Played by: John Benjamin Hickey
- Good Parents: He wants what's best for Beca. He even expressed that he'll support her even if she doesn't honor his wish of finishing college. Aside from that, he also puts up with her snarky attitude.
- Happily Married: After his divorce, he remarried. Beca calls her the stepmonster.