Characters: Pitch Perfect
open/close all folders
- Character Signature Song: "The Sign", and to a lesser extend, "Eternal Flame" and " Turn The Beat Around". It's actually deconstructed as Aubrey's insistence on using said songs over and over got the audience and judges tired of their act in addition to members feeling that they're being held back because of it.
- Girl Group: They're an all-female A Cappella singing group.
- Meaningful Name: Bellas means beautiful women in Italian.
- Ms. Fanservice: The film's opening prologue to a handful of Male Gaze.
- The Rival: With the Treblemakers.
- The Team:
- The Leader: Aubrey, the one who calls the shots.
- The Lancer: Chloe, Aubrey's Number Two.
- The Heroine: Beca, the main character of the story.
- The Big Girl: Fat Amy, the largest and most "performance-ready" member of the group.
- The Smart Girl: Cynthia-Rose, the group's main rapper.
- The Chicks: Stacie and Lily, the former being the group's resident eye candy, while the latter is mostly The Quiet One.
- Living Props: Denise, Jessica and Ashley, who are nothing more than Ghost Extras.
- True Blue Femininity: Their Color Motif is blue as seen in their uniforms and the pitch pipe.
Played by: Anna Kendrick
- Accidental Misnaming: Luke keeps calling her "Becky". A deleted scene has her correct him.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She is as beautiful as she is proud and distant.
- Character Development: Starts off aloof and detached from college life, but eventually learns to work with, lead, and genuinely desire the success of the Bellas.
- Chekhov's Hobby and Skill: The film heavily emphasizes her love of mashing-up songs. This becomes useful in the Bellas' final performance.
- Deadpan Snarker: Her replies to the zany cast usually takes the form of snide comments and stoic snark.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She's pretty cool towards Jesse, and especially the Bellas, but warms up later on.
- Dismotivation: She could care less about building a social life, let alone college itself. She only grits her teeth and bears it so that she can get her father's support to pursue her dream of becoming a music producer.
- Fish out of Water: An "alternative" loner who joins a competitive a capella group.
- Follow in My Footsteps: Her father really wants Beca to graduate from college like he did, but Beca just wants to be independent and make music.
- The Heroine: She is the main character of the story.
- I Choose to Stay: In the end, she remains in college to lead the Bellas rather than drop out like she intended.
- I Did What I Had to Do: She stated this as the reason she broke the Bella's routine in the semi-finals. Aubrey and some of the Bellas are not pleased.
- The Lancer: While she is The Hero of the story, she's the one who frequently questions Aubrey's authority and advances The Team on her own terms.
- Loony Friends Improve Your Personality: It is through the friendships of 'Fat' Amy, Jesse and Chloe that she is able to put the Bellas on the path to success.
- Missing Mom: Only her father makes an appearance.
- One of the Boys: Beca reveals that she never had female friends, and was secretly happy to have gained some in the Bellas.
- Only Sane Woman: Aside from her anti-social nature, she's the only member without an obvious quirk.
- A Protagonist Shall Lead Them: Near the end, Aubrey steps down as the Bellas' leader because she realized that Beca's innovative ideas will favor the group better in the finals. After Aubrey and Chloe's graduation, she officially becomes The Leader of the group.
'Fat' Amy aka 'Fat' Patricia
Played by: Rebel Wilson
- Awesome Aussie: "I've wrestled crocodiles and dingoes simultaneously."
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Bumper. In the sequel she's eager to take him up on his offer of having sex... if only he can take the hint.
- The Big Girl: She's usually the member of the group who enjoys the group's dance routines and clamors for solos. She's physically the biggest as well. Ironically, she's the only one who skipped the cardio training.
- *Cough* Snark *Cough*: To Cynthia Rose during the scene where the Bellas are sharing "secrets":Amy: *cough* Lesbi-onest.Cynthia Rose: I have a gambling addiction.Amy: Wait for it.Cynthia Rose: Which started after I broke up with my girlfriend.Amy: Whoomp, there it is.
- Funny Foreigner: She's both Australian and rather quirky.
- In-Series Nickname: "Fat Amy," which she gave to herself so "twig bitches" won't call her it behind her back.
- The Lancer: To Beca. The final scene also implies that she's Chloe's successor as the group's Number Two with Beca as their leader.
- Lovable Coward: Skipped cardio to do "vertical running!"
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Is constantly referred to as "Fat Amy" than simply Amy. Even after The Reveal.
- Plucky Comic Relief: She's definitely the least serious of any of the girls.
- The Reveal: Her real name: 'Fat' Patricia.
- Small Name, Big Ego: If the trailer for the sequel is any indication. Though then again...
Played by: Anna Camp
- Academic Alpha Bitch: Initially, though she gets nicer by the end.
- Break the Haughty: Suffers several, many of them vomit related, and a few related to her refusal to change causing her own downfall.
- Character Development: She starts off stuck up and stubborn, refusing to accept other point of views or even change the Bellas' song routines. By the end of the film, she consolidates everyone's opinions and opens up to more modern song options.
- Control Freak: She is the top dog of the Bellas and makes sure everyone knows it.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Initially bitchy towards Beca, she becomes more friendly towards her near the end.
- The Fettered: She is a strict traditionalist and will stick to it no matter what.
- Freudian Excuse: Her reason for being a control freak is implied to be because of her dad.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Is said to be friends with Chloe for years.
- High Pressure Vomit: Manages to eject about two gallons of viscous yellowish squick in an arc about 10 feet ahead of herself.
- Humiliation Conga: Her pukage at the start pretty much drove her entire Redemption Quest arc.
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase: "A ca-" something.
- Military Brat: Implied when she quotes her father."My dad always says, 'If you can't take the heat, get the hell out of Kuwait!'"
- Ms. Fanservice: After Stacy, she's the one who gets to wear the most revealing outfits and often put in eye-catching situations.
- My Greatest Second Chance/Redemption Quest: Her main goal.
- The Obi Wrong: She practically stepped down as The Leader of the group in favor of Beca near the end of the film.
- The Perfectionist: Rehearsal is everything. The Bellas are even forced to do cardio.
- Pet the Dog: She is the first person to comfort Chloe after hearing about her Nodes.
- Pride: Aubrey's main problem. Her inability to accept anyone else's outlook and admit that she is wrong holds her back.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Chloe's blue.
- Serious Business: She considers the A capella finals important enough to insist that the Bellas skip class for practice.
- Statuesque Stunner: One of the tallest female and the third tallest Bella after Stacie and Ashley. Then again, it's probably because of the heels.
- Supporting Leader: To her frustration, Aubrey's leadership is gradually upstaged by the more innovative Beca.
- Team Mom: She'd like to be, but it takes her lightening up to really step into the role.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Her third pukage. The first two (the other being in a video) are blatantly shown.
Played by: Brittany Snow
- Ambiguously Bi: She's definitely into dudes (we see her in the shower with a naked guy and later making out with a different guy) but she also seems very fond of Beca...
- Beware the Nice Ones: Probably the nicest character in the film (or tied with Benji), making her Shut Up, Hannibal! moment all the more awesome.
- Cool Big Sis: Acts very mentor-like to the newest Bellas.
- Covert Pervert: She opens admits that she masturbates to "Titanium"
- Discard and Draw: After removing her nodes she loses her ability to sing above G-sharp, but instead is able to sing in Basso Profundo.
- Extreme Doormat: Aubrey walks all over her for most of the movie.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Is said to be friends with Aubrey for years.
- The Lancer: She is both Aubrey's long-time friend, Foil and her deputy in the Bellas.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: Admitting the loss of her ability to sing G-sharp is heartbreaking for her.
- Ms. Fanservice: Aside from her infamous Shower Scene, she's prone to Male Gaze.
- No Sense of Personal Space: She has no problem bursting in on Beca during her shower while both are naked.
- Number Two: She is the deputy leader of the Bellas.
- Only Sane Man: Of the Bellas, at first, although she clearly has some quirks of her own.
- Really Gets Around: Not as explicit as Stacie, but we see her fooling around with two different guys in the film with ease...
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Aubrey's red.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: She finally stands up to Aubrey before actually trying to assault her.
- Vocal Dissonance: Having her nodes surgically removed considerably deepens her singing voice.
Played by: Hana Mae Lee
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Some of her lines imply this.
- Chekhov's Hobby: You see her hanging around a hip-hop crowd near the end of the film, right? Of course it's going to be brought up.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: You don't see someone making snow angels in a puddle of vomit very often. Some of her dialogue, whispered or otherwise, also counts.
- Easter Egg: You would probably need to rent and rewatch the movie carefully to hear what exactly Lily is saying. And some of it is... really bizarre.
- Funny Foreigner: She's both Japanese and very quirky.
- Hidden Depths: The girl can beatbox like a pro.
- The Quiet One: She can never utter anything louder than a whisper (except for one time, which prompts Fat Amy to respond that there's no need to shout).
- Shrinking Violet: Not so much near the end.
- Token Minority: While not the only Asian character in the film, she's the only Asian member of the Bellas.
Played by: Ester Dean
- Butch Lesbian: Butch enough to be mistaken for a guy at auditions.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: She dyes her hair red.
- Eating the Eye Candy: She is very appreciative of Stacie's Ms. Fanservice status.
- The Gambling Addict: She admits to picking up this habit after a break-up.
- Token Lesbian: Subverted. Denise, one of those three other Bellas, is implied to be her ex-girlfriend.
- Transparent Closet: Not so much a closet; she casually mentions her ex-girlfriend while admitting her gambling addiction, making it clear that she's out and proud and just hadn't bothered to explicitly say anything about it.
- Twofer Token Minority: She's both black and a lesbian.
- Two First Names: Possibly. It's not stated if her last name is indeed Rose. In case it is, then this trope also applies to her actress, Esther Dean, as well.
Played by: Alexis Knapp
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Physically, she fits every single description being tall, dark-haired, beautiful and Even the Girls Want Her. She, however, is not as aloof as it seems and is actually quite friendly.
- Brainless Beauty: As noted below she's very beautiful. She also seems more than a little clueless about the way she comes across (Chloe has to correct her from making inappropriately sexual moves more than once) and has rather shallow interests ("my hobbies include cuticle care, and the E! network.") She also seems to think she has hidden the fact that she Really Gets Around when it is blindingly obvious to everyone else.
- Chekhov's Skill: Her ballet moves becomes useful in the Bellas' final performance.
- Chewing the Scenery: When she sings, she emphasize that she's the film's resident Ms. Fanservice by making suggestive movements.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: The girl held her own in the Riff Off with only backing vocals from Fat Amy and Cynthia-Rose; clearly, she's not as stupid as she seems.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Cynthia-Rose constantly hit on her. Chloe was also impressed when she was Gainaxing during auditions.
- Gainaxing: Played with. It played straight during her initial appearance. But she defied it during the Training Montage by actually holding her breasts during cardio.
- I Call Him "Mr. Happy": Alluded to. At one point, she points to her crotch and says "he's a hunter", much to Beca's bemusement.Beca: You call it a dude?
- Male Gaze: She was Gainaxing when we first see her. The rest of the film puts her in a lot of eye-catching situations.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's a very sexually active girl who wears a lot of eye-catching wardrobe and gets put in a lot of eye-catching situations. It's very noticeable in the final performance, where she's the only one in short shorts, and is the only one performing high kicks and splits on stage.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: She is very beautiful and has very dark hair.
- Really Gets Around: Her very active sex life is something of a Running Gag.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: When she sings, she's confident in invoking her Ms. Fanservice status.
- She's Got Legs: In the final performance, she's the only one in short shorts, and performs a lot of high kicks for no reason other than to show off her legs.
- Statuesque Stunner: The tallest female in the cast even without heels.
- Two First Names: Her last name is commonly used as a male given name.
Denise, Ashley and Jessica
Denise is played by: Wanetah Walmsley
Ashley is played by: Shelley Regner
Jessica is played by: Kelley Alice Jakle
- Amicable Exes: If Denise is indeed Cynthia-Rose's ex-girlfriend.
- Butch Lesbian: Denise Zig-Zagged this. While definitely not feminine, she's still not as masculine as her implied ex-lover.
- The Generic Girls: Jessica and Ashley. Denise at least got a little backstory regarding her alleged past relationship with Cynthia-Rose.
- Living Props: Aubrey later lampshaded this and directly said (to Jessica and Ashley at least) that they're just... there.Aubrey: "Jessica and Ashley, it is like you haven't been here all year long!'"Jessica: "Aubrey, really?!'"Ashley: "We've literally been here the whole time!'"
- The Reveal: Possibly. Denise is later implied to be Cynthia-Rose's ex-girlfriend.
- Statuesque Stunner: Ashley is the second tallest Bella after Stacie and is a Huge Schoolgirl to boot.
- Those Three Girls: They're members of the Bellas who are, well, members of the Bellas.
- Always Someone Better: The Bellas consider them this.
- Color-Coded Characters: They wear dominantly red clothes, which is done to contrast the Bellas' blue.
- The Main Characters Do Everything: Only the named characters (e.g. Bumper, Donald, Jesse and Benjie) perform the group's numbers.
- Mr. Fanservice: A lot of female audience can be heard Squeeing when they perform.
- Punny Name: They, or to be specific Bumper, cause a lot of trouble for the Bellas.
- The Rival: With the Bellas.
- Something Completely Different: In stark contrast to the Bellas, the Trebles never repeat a song they already used.
- Team Spirit: Unlike the Bellas, the Trebles are very united as a team. Not that it woould stop their Token Evil Teammate leader to ditch them in the last minute.
- Testosterone Poisoning: Some of the group's (e.g. Bumper's) rule parodies the Rated M for Manly trope.
Played by: Adam DeVine
- Big Bad: The closest thing the movie has to one. He provides the initial threat that instigates Aubrey's Character Development.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: As soon as he ditches the Treblemakers, everyone agrees he was a jerk.
- It's All About Me: At the end of the day, he only cares about what he thinks is best for him.
- Jerkass: Displayed here and there, but solidified when he cheerfully abandons the team before finals.
- The Leader: Of the Treblemakers until he leaves.
- Karma Houdini: The last time he's heard of, he was off to the "big leagues" (being background singer to John Mayer).
- Token Evil Teammate: While the Trebles are stand-up guys, he is blatantly obnoxious, despicable and is proud of it. He's such a jerk that he even dropped the teammate part altogether.
- Two First Names: His last name is a more appropriate given name.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Bumper Allen.
Played by: Skylar Astin
- Adorkable: His adorably cheesy attempts at winning over Beca.
- Deadpan Snarker: When he's around Benji early on, he doesn't pull his punches.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Towards Beca.
- Manic Pixie Dream Guy: He's handsome, upbeat, a great singer, and constantly trying to break down Beca's defensive walls.
- The Movie Buff: Has a particular interest in iconic soundtracks, which he tries to share with Beca.
- Token Good Teammate: To the Trebles. While the others are not Jerkasses, they sometimes go along with Bumper's antics. He later shared this role with Benji, though the other Trebles have probably Took a Level in Kindness at that point.
- Unknown Rival: He appears to compete with Luke for Beca's affections. Not that there's going on with them for the matter. And he ultimately "won" anyway.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Beca finally gets sick of his constantly butting into situations that don't concern him after she gets mistakenly arrested and gives him this reaction.
- To be fair, each time he "butts in," he is genuinely trying to help, and one of the times his intervention is a direct result of being personally named in a manner he doesn't appreciate. You kind of need his sort of help when you're getting arrested. He's a good candidate for Dogged Nice Guy.
Played by: Utkarsh Ambudkar
- Number Two: The deputy leader of the Treblemakers.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He likes to wear a fruity shower cap while chilling in the hot tub.
- Supporting Leader: After Bumper leaves, he becomes the Treble's leader. However, Jesse is the group's front man (at least in the finale) and is implied to possess equal authority that is enough to hire Benji as the Eleventh Hour Ranger.
- Token Minority: The only Indian character in the entire film.
- You Are in Command Now: After Bumper ditches them before the finals, he assumed the mantle of Supporting Leader with Jesse as the front-man.
Played by: Michael Viruet
- The Big Guy: Appears to be the bulkiest Treble.
- Companion Cube: Hence the nickname.
- Funny Afro: His most notable physical characteristic is his large afro.
- Mr. Fanservice: Constantly invoked himself as such during performances.
- No Name Given: He is simply listed as "Unicycle" in the credits and Word of God just left it at that.
Played by: Ben Platt
- Adorkable: Even moreso than Jesse with his general enthusiasm and nerd gear.
- Ascended Fanboy: He eventually replaces Bumper just in time for the a capella finals.
- Chekhov's Gunman: He's rejected from the Treblemakers and fades into the benches, but later helps Loophole Abuse The Bellas into the finals.
- The Danza: He is played by Ben Platt.
- Eleventh Hour Ranger: Officially becomes a Treblemaker in the finals.
- Hollywood Nerd: He does magic and makes nerd references.
- Loony Fan: Of the Treblemakers, even after Bumper insults him and rejects his audition.
- Stage Magician: His dream. He practices magic tricks regularly.
John Smith and Gail Abernathy-McKinnon
John is played by: John Michael Higgins
Gail is played by: Elizabeth Banks
- Actor Allusion: Elizabeth Banks gave her character the last name of Abernathy to refer to her other big film of the year; she plays opposite Woody Harrelson's character Haymitch Abernathy.
- And Starring: The CBB credits them, respectively, as "With John Michael Higgins and Elizabeth Banks". Justified since the latter is also the film's producer.
- Call Back: They make many references to Aubrey's mishap in the previous year's tournament, as seen in the intro.
- Creator Cameo: Elizabeth Banks is also the film's producer.
- The Danza: John is played by John Michael Higgins.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sports commentary variety.
- Straw Misogynist: John is repeatedly sexist during the movie, going as far as saying he would've never thought an all-female group could win the competition. Gail calls him out on this at the end of the movie.
- Those Two Guys: They exist in the film to only give commentary.
Played by: Jinhee Joung
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Being Asian, it's justified that she has dark hair. But not the rudeness, obviously.
- Defrosting Ice Queen/Pet the Dog: After Beca is kicked out of the Bellas and rejected by Jesse, Kimmy surprises her by wishing her a happy Spring Break on her way out the door.
- Jerkass: She's unnecessarily rude to Beca, giving her a cold shoulder for much of the film.
Played by: Freddie Stroma
- Foreign Fanservice: He is the film's resident Mr. Fanservice from the UK.
- Mr. Fanservice: His abs earned him a Female Gaze from Beca, as well as the female and gay audience.
Played by: John Benjamin Hickey