Characters: Endless Frontier
This page includes only those characters who made their debut in Endless Frontier. See the Xenosaga character sheet for KOS-MOS, T-elos and M.O.M.O. See Namco X Capcom for tropes regarding Reiji Arisu, Xiaomu, Saya and Katana. See the main Super Robot Wars page for those from the main games.
open/close all folders
Haken Browning (Voiced by Nobuyuki Hiyama)
The protagonist of Endless Frontier, 23-year-old Haken Browning is captain of the dimension-traveling vehicle Zeit Krokodil (German for "Time Crocodile") and a bounty hunter, faithfully followed by his Sidekick Aschen Brodel. He's also a ladies' man, complimenting everyone of the fairer sex. He has Sanger Zonvolt's colour scheme and Excellen Browning's surname, but is defined as Kyosuke Nanbu's Expy, taking on the role of the calm, cool leader and has a gambling habit, even naming most of his attacks after gambling stints (Texas Hold'em, High Low Draw, etc.)Haken also seems to attract a number of beings similar to Personal Troopers, only double a human's size. These turn out to be Gespensts of the Shadow-Mirror organization, modified in the Endless Frontier by the Orchestral Army to resemble the blueprints of the much larger Shadow-Mirror mecha. As it turns out, he's W-00, the Super Prototype of Lemon Browning's W-Numbers. The rest were robots and mostly-machine cyborgs rather than extremely enhanced humans like Haken because they decided it took too long to wait for him to grow up.Haken carries two weapons with him at all times: the Night Fowl rifle and the Longtomb Special revolver. He embodies these tropes:
- The Atoner: While he didn't act like your usual atoner, its made clear that Haken's primary motive in Endless Frontier EXCEED is to find his lost friends and help avert the current world destruction attempt, both of which he's indirectly responsible for.
- Ascended Fanboy: Vice Chief Lee Ly of the Zeit Krokodil often mocks his cowboy costume.
- Badass Longcoat
- BFG: The Longtomb Special can disassemble itself into this. In EXCEED, it doubles as a portable Wave Motion Gun.
- Berserk Button: Messing with his friends and his W-Series family. Ironically, the people who have really pushed the button are Pete Pain and Gagun Laos, both who are also members of the W-Numbers.Haken: W03, Pete Pain... The price for messing with my family is very high. I'll make sure you pay until the last dime.
- Bodyguard Crush: For Kaguya Nanbu
- Casanova Wannabe: Subversion; at first, as he flirts with every girl and gets turned down, but eventually wins Kaguya's heart...and maybe a little more...
- Chivalrous Pervert: Justified, since it's hard to blame him considering how ridiculous the boobage in the games are.
- Combination Attack: "Phantom Hold 'Em" with the Gespenst Phantom and "Rampage Specter", although it's simply Haken summoning the Alt Eisen Nacht and Weiss Ritter Abend to do it.
- Critical Hit: His character specialty; Haken carries a Spirit Command that increases critical hit rate for the whole team and his personal weapon increases his critical hit chance, while in EXCEED, pairing him with the Gespenst Phantom increases critical hit rate. In the first game, it's possible for Haken to achieve a 100% critical hit rate set up.
- Death Dealer: Uses explosive cards in some of his attacks.
- Disc One Nuke: In EXCEED, Haken acquires the Gespenst Phantom at the end of his introductory chapter, learns the "Co-Op" note and "Morale" note Spirit Commands early and learns the attack "Seven Stud", an S+ ranked attack at a point in the game where an A+ ranked attack is still rare. Unlike most instances of this trope, Haken averts it by being MUCH better in the later game, thanks to new attack "Quad Solitaire".
- Deuteragonist: Despite not being the protagonist of EXCEED, much of the plot still revolves around the W-Series and Haken's atonement, thereby making this an (un)intended case of Spotlight-Stealing Squad.
- Expy: Aside from Kyosuke, his background as the first of the W-Numbers is radically simiiar to Sephiroth. Coincidentally, Kyosuke and Sephiroth share the same voice actor.
- Eye-Obscuring Hat: Oddly enough, this is how his hat is when his character portrait displays him as sad and melancholic.
- Generation Xerox: Hilariously played with. Although Haken isn't John Moses's biological son, John mistakes Kaguya for a call-in escort the first time they meet. No wonder Haken's such a Lovable Sex Maniac. A less notable one involves his nicknaming habit being derived from Aschen, who is his Parental Substitute.
- Gratuitous English: A lot, such as "OK!", "Jackpot" "Bingo!" and "Last showdown!"
- Gratuitous Spanish: Sort of; he does say "Adios!" often.
- Guns Akimbo
- The Gunslinger: Combines Types C and D
- Hand Cannon: Haken's Longtomb Special
- Heroic BSOD: Averted; Haken's upset when he learns he's W-00, but he knows screaming about it won't help.
- I Take Offense to That Last OneHenne Valkyria: Looks like her report was right on. "Dumbass poser wearing a black trenchcoat, black hat, red bandana, and fingerless gloves."
Haken: What...!? What's wrong with my gloves!?
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The fact he is W-00 is surprising for a newcomer in EXCEED, to which it's revealed extremely late in the sequel. The same can't be said for the player who played the first game.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Haken's second introduction in EXCEED:"My name's Haken Browning. They call me..."CHAPTER 2: THE WANDERING BOUNTY HUNTER
- Leitmotif: "All Right!"
- Like Brother and Sister: Him and Aschen, which is funny considering the latter is practically a mother to him. At one point, he calls her "Sister 07" after he finds out he's W-00.
- My Hero Zero
- Nerf: Of the returning cast in EXCEED, Haken gets hit the most by lowering the effectiveness of the 100% critical setup and the attack "Jackpot". He also loses having the highest support count from the first game, his "Canfield" Special Skill note uses up the Frontier Gauge instead of Spirit Points and Rampage Specter is decreased in power. Averted as a whole, considering his Disc One Nuke status, since he averts that, too.
- Opposite-Sex Clone: Lemon did use her blood to create him...
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: Haken lives for these"Welcome to Lost Herencia. Let me run the welcome wagon right over your ugly ass!"
- Red Baron: Inherited John's "Wandering Bounty Hunter" title. This become a small plot point in EXCEED when Neige Hausen suspected him to be a fake.
- Shout-Out: Haken means "hook" in German and he arrived in the Endless Frontier on a ship called the Neverland, with a navigation computer called Tinkerbell. The Zeit Krokodil refers to a certain crocodile that ate, amongst other things, a clock and a ship captain's hand. Do you get it?
- Super Prototype
- Super Soldier: Implied
- Swiss Army Gun: The Night Fowl's a custom assault rifle that fires normal rounds with an underslung Pile Bunker below the rifle's barrel and a fold-out bayonet in the stock.
- Theme Naming: All his attacks are related in some way to poker: Texas Hold 'Em, High Low Draw, "Best Flush", "Five Card Stud", Jackpot, "Last Showdown"
- Too Many Belts
- The Nicknamer: Every single person he meets.
- Wave Motion Gun: Phantom Hold'em, Last Showdown and Quad Solitaire, to an extent. Played more straight in EXCEED, when Haken can use it to hit multiple enemies as part of the Phantom Hold'em Frontier MAX.
Kaguya Nanbu (Voiced by Yukana)
The young, innocent princess of the Nanbu Clan in Kagura Amahara, Kaguya's the heiress of the sword-fighting style Jinraku Tengen. On her first meeting with Haken, she unknowingly hires him and Aschen to escort her on her pilgrimage. Throughout her travels, her relationship with Haken grows more forward than that... and she's hot... yeah...Although she carries Kyosuke's surname, she seems to be more of a loose Expy of Excellen, since her personality is almost like her: innocent, playful and the one to provide the most Fanservice (not that she tries to invoke it, unlike Excellen). She also has more Sanger references than Haken, starting from her sword Goushiki Zankantou ("Type-5 Colossal Blade") to her styling herself as "The Sword That Cleaves Evil", and Sanger's trademark "CHEESTOOOOOO!!!!". Some of the tropes that represent Kaguya are:
- Combat Medic: In the first game, Kaguya's Special Skill "Nanbu Reijutsu Tukimi Zake'' is a party-wide heal and she carries the "Love" Spirit Command note . Her attack stat is the lowest in the party and her attacks are weak in general. However, another Special Skill "Nanbu Ittoryuu Teppou" hits all enemies and with the right equipment, can shred them to pieces. Of note is her "Miracle" Spirit Command note .
- Dance Battler: Her attacks look like a dance and it resembles Princess Suzuka's movements, which make sense since Suzuka is teaching her how to dance.
- Disc One Nuke: In EXCEED, Kaguya's the strongest character in the early parts thanks to her attack "Hinezumi no Koromo". By late game, her damage output tapers off, unless you use her "Miracle" Spirit Command note .
- Fan Nickname: Hmm...dresses in black and white, check; has large "milk-producing" body parts, check; yup: "Princess Cow/Moo". Coincidentally, her In-Series Nickname is "Dairy Cow Princess".
- Gag Boobs: She doesn't get all of those nicknames for nothing
- Genki Girl: Her signature smiling pose make it obvious.
- Gainaxing: Often
- Gratuitous Japanese: Atlus decided to keep her entire movelist in Japanese.
- Heir to the Dojo
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: A BFS that doubles as a Whip Sword with detachable chakram rings on the back of the blade that she can fling around like boomerangs.
- Innocent Innuendo: From the first gameKaguya: "Yeah, take me now!"Haken: "Err... I'll escort you."
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: That skimpy, tight, semi-transparent mini-dress? It's formal wear. To her, it's no more than wearing her Sunday Best. Every so often she has a fit of modesty and turns away from the screen to cover her bosom with her arms, all while screeching in an outraged manner and glaring at the player over her shoulder. However, this gives players a great view of her very well-drawn backside.
- Leitmotif: "Flawless Full Moon"
- Ms. Fanservice: Not only is her outfit too revealing, but her cleavage is definitely bigger than Aschen's, who is a Lamia Loveless Expy, to which Lamia has the largest ones in the main installments. Kaguya probably beats her in that department, too.
- Multicolored Hair: Black and red
- Nice Girl: One of the friendliest characters in the team.
- The Ojou
- Running Gag: Almost every character or villain after their introduction mistake her as a "cow" or "werecow". Judging by how she dresses up and her huge "tracts of land", this is completely justified. There's also the thing where Saya's cow henchman Dokugozu proposes marriage to her everytime they meet...even in the middle of being Brainwashed.
- The kicker? Kaguya's actually flattered by the proposal.
- Rapunzel Hair: A ponytail as long as she is tall.
- Shout-Out: Lots of them, especially to Sanger. Her name, however, is a call to the same Princess Kaguya of the Japanese folklore tale "The Tale Of the Bamboo Cutter", which is referred to in-game.
- Stripperiffic: Her clothes are just way too tight and it reveals her ample bosom and shoulders.
- Whip Sword: Goushiki Zankantou can extend like one
- Zettai Ryouiki
Aschen Brodel (Voiced by Kaori Shimizu)
Haken's loyal and devoted Sidekick, Aschen Brodel's a green-haired combat cyborg capable of emitting human-like emotions... sometimes. At first, you'd think she's a blatant Expy of Lamia Loveless, but it's justified: Aschen's, in fact, her predecessor (or, to a lesser extent, "sister") codenamed W-07. She, along with Haken and W-01 to W-10 were the first to be sent to the Original Generation universe during Beowulf's attack, but they were put in the first batch of the teleportation device, namely the unstable ones. Haken and Aschen stumbled into the Endless Frontier and have been there for the past twenty-three years.Unlike Lamia, who's mostly The Stoic unless the situation requires, Aschen's more than just stoic. She has a sharp tongue and at times flings insults, especially regarding Haken's womanizing attitude, and invents other derisive nicknames like "Dairy Cow Princess" or "Princess Flat" (for Suzuka). She's also installed with "Code: DTD" (Dust-to-Dust), but instead of it being a Chekhov's Gun, she uses it for full advantage as a Super Mode, with a side-effect of turning her personality into a total Genki Girl. Being a combat cyborg, she doesn't need a weapon: she fights with bare hands and feet (although the rest of her body carries an assortment of weapons like missiles, disk cutters and shotguns mounted to her heels). Tropes associated with Aschen are:
- Artificial Human
- Armed Legs: Shotgun boots and rocket batteries in her thighs.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: In EXCEED, then averted
- Calling Your Attacks: "ASCHEN PUNCH!"
- Deadpan Snarker: "I will write something insulting on that billboard you call a torso..."
- Everything's Better with Spinning
- The Four Gods: Her moveset incorporates attacks called "Tigress Bite", "Genbu Spike" and "Dragon Scale", while her Overdrive is aptly named "Phantasm Phoenix", a Shout-Out to Lamia's "Phantom Phoenix" for her mecha Angelg.
- Genki Girl: During Code: DTD
- Gratuitous English: Similar to Haken, there's a lot, like "Fire!", "Striking!" and "Yes, I do!"
- Leitmotif: "Ash to Ash (ver. EF)"
- Macross Missile Massacre: Dragon Scale
- Parental Substitute: Aschen is the one who acts as the maternal figure to Haken, which surprises Axel Almer in EXCEED.
- Robot Girl
- Rocket Punch: She uses a wired variant for Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs in many of her attacks.
- Servile Snarker: Aschen would count towards Haken. It helps she's been with him for the past 23 years; even one of her character portraits in-game has her bowing servilely.
- Shout-Out: Aside from Lamia, try translating her name into German. As per the usual fairy tale Theme Naming of the games, her name translates into "Cinderella". Likewise, if she attacks with her feet, she sometimes yells out "Glass Heel!", a signature item from the story.
- In EXCEED, she gives a Shout-Out to Super Robot Wars 64, namely her multi-target Overdrive "Gravity Howling", a call to "Bloody Howling", the ultimate attack of the Simurgh Splendid, to which the Lamia's Angelg is an Expy of.
- One of Aschen's Special Skills in EXCEED is called "Code: Amphisbaena", based on a Greek mythological monster like the lamia. One of the meanings for "amphisbaena" is "both ways" and its appearance is that of a serpentine monster with a head at each end. The attack involves grabbing one of the enemies and a random object offscreen with her Rocket Punches and slamming them together.
- The first part of the animation for her Phantasm Phoenix is most likely a reference to Kim Kaphwan's Desperation Move "Hou'ou Kyaku" in Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters: not only are both attacks named after The Phoenix, they also start by sliding at the enemy knee-first while trailing shadows, follow up with an extended kick combo and end in a somersault kick, although Aschen continues her version with a series of Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs and finishes off with an upward heel shotgun blast.
- Split Personality: When activating Code: DTD or if she overheats.
- Stepford Smiler: Implied in the first game
- Stripperific: Her Overdrive "sheds" the green parts of her body, revealing an ample bosom like Kaguya's and thighs.
- The Nicknamer: She gives insulting titles to almost everyone she meets.
- Unknown Rival: Seems to think of KOS-MOS as her rival, even challenging her to a fight during their first meeting. KOS-MOS ignores this completely.
- In EXCEED, during her introduction scene, Aschen claimed to be more beautiful, smarter, and funnier than KOS-MOS.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Princess Suzuka (Voiced by Mamiko Noto)
A Shiki-Oni princess from Kagura Amahara, Princess Suzuka is Kaguya's childhood friend and is currently betrothed to another Oni, Shuten (who's not necessarily evil...), bumping into our heroes and joining them in their endeavor.Suzuka uses an unusual style of dance that lets her command a mecha (just about as tall as the other mecha found in the game) called the "Jyaki-GUN-Oh" (Devil Gun King). As far as beauty goes, Haken calls her a "Midriff Beauty", but Aschen dubs her "Princess Flat" (with good reason); Suzuka doesn't take kindly to the latter. Some of the tropes Suzuka adheres to include:
- A-Cup Angst: Subverted; while she does get teased by Aschen constantly, Suzuka doesn't seem to mind. The subversion comes when Kaguya reveals she drinks lots of milk, and Suzuka decides to buy some, suggesting she does want larger breasts.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Beta Couple: With Shuten in the first game, then joined by Haken/Kaguya in EXCEED.
- Boring but Practical: In the first game, by repeatedly cancelling one of her attacks, you can exchange her turn doing damage for an 80% increase to the Frontier Gauge, which more than makes up for it. By timing it right, it's possible to deal enough damage and charge the gauge to activate Suzuka's Overdrive immediately.
- Cute Monster Girl
- Dance Battler: She doesn't know Capoeira, but when she dances, the Jyaki-GUN-Oh comes and kicks your ass.
- Deadpan Snarker: She has her moments; after all, she does have Snark-to-Snark Combat with Aschen.
- Fragile Speedster: The fastest party member and has a high hit count alongside her attack list being able to fill the Frontier Gauge more easily, yet has the weakest defensive stat of the party.
- Gratuitous Disco Sequence: Her Overdrive and Special Skills, complete with disco ball.
- Hand Puppet: According to the localized website for the game, the Jyaki-GUN-Oh's actually a puppet on strings, made to resemble a mecha.
- Healing Shiv: In EXCEED, one of Suzuka's Special Skills is healing the healing the entire party... with bullets, but subverted when closer inspection reveals they're really party poppers and confetti.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Her and Shuten
- Leitmotif: "Dance It Out!" and "Dance It Out! (Hyper Remix)"
- Magikarp Power: Low damage output and relatively fragile, but she can fill the Frontier Gauge to maximum by herself through move-canceling in the first game. In EXCEED, once she learns Ghost Dance, she becomes a juggernaut.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: This coming from Mamiko Noto, it's just surprising.
- Mundane Made Awesome: She can make the Jyaki-GUN-Oh wail on an enemy with DISCO, complete with a disco ball and multicolored lights.
- Only Sane Man: Compared to the the rest of the party, Suzuka fits this trope nicely.
- Paper Fan of Doom
- The Ojou: Portrays this slightly better than Kaguya.
- The Tease: While she doesn't actively do this, she does act like this toward Shuten in the ending.
- Really 700 Years Old
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue oni (both literally and metaphorically) to Kaguya's red
- Runaway Fiancé
- Shout-Out: "Jyaki-GUN Fingeeer!"
- Youkai: Obviously themed after the traditional, blue, one-horned oni, but she's a subversion of typical oni character tropes — rather than a brute physical fighter, she's a dance puppeteer.
Aledy Naash (voiced by Tomokazu Seki)
Protagonist for the sequel Endless Frontier EXCEED, Aledy Naash's a Shura warrior sent by his mentor Cindy Bird to investigate the new emergence of Einst-like crystals in the newly formed Endless Frontier, as well as the missing machine Ark-On. He's assisted by the lost princess of Elfetale Neige Hausen.The only link between him with the main series is that he's a Shura and a practicioner of Kishin Ken. Coupled with the surname Naash, Epileptic Trees occur on whether he's related to the previous Shura King Alkaid Naash or not. Tropes associated with Aledy are:
- Awesome but Impractical: One of Aledy's Special Skills is a Haki sealing technique that is a One-Hit KO if successfully cast...except it has little to no chance of working against humanoid enemies.
- Butt Monkey: His tendency to miss the point in a lot of situations makes him a perfect target of ridicule.
- Combination Attack: "Haou Maretsu Ken" with the Ark-On
- Disc One Nuke: Most of Aledy's attacks early in the game can cause guard break and potentially stun enemies, rendering them immobile for one turn. He also learns the "Training" Spirit Command note , allowing him to level early in EXCEED.
- Expy: Of Folka Albark, the Expy of Kenshiro, the Expy of Bruce Lee. People, we have reached critical mass. Noted in-universe by Kouta Azuma.
- Fish out of Water: A bit worse than Folka, since Aledy's more clueless about the opposite sex. In fact, he doesn't even know what "handsome" means. Played for laughs with Katze Kotolnos.
- Hot-Blooded: Just look at his voice actor.
- Ki Attacks
- Leitmotif: "Crimson Ashura" and "Roar, O One Who Breaks Supremacy"
- Lightning Bruiser: Fast, hits hard and pretty sturdy, and later comes packing with the "Soul" Spirit Command. This seems like a requirement for being a Shura.
- Male Gaze: Neige notices where Aledy's looking at upon meeting Kaguya and proceeds to berate him.
- Name's the Same: Aluded by the Shura, who notes that he has a regal quality.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs
- Red-Headed Hero
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it "Aledy" or "Alady"?
- Shout-Out: Of all things, to "Aladdin"
- Take a Third Option: Shura ideaology states there are only two paths in life - win and crush the enemy, or lose and die. He chose neither.
- The Prodigy: One of the most skilled Shura with an outrageous amount of Haki (according to Hamelin Silbato) at the age of 14. By the time EXCEED occurs, Aledy's more skilled, making Hamelin wonder whether Cindy is that good of a mentor or if Aledy's just that good.
- The Rival: Hamelin and Aledy consider one another this.
- The Stoic: Unless he's yelling his Kiai, Aledy's a pretty reserved guy.
- Worthy Opponent: For a lot of his opponents
Neige Hausen (voiced by Nana Mizuki)
Female protagonist of EXCEED, Neige Hausen's a princess of the fairies in the Elfetale Kingdom, which was destroyed by the Einsts following the first game, now accompanying Aledy in his quest. She later acquires the Fee-Kleid unit. Tropes associated with Neige are:
- Attack Reflector: Parts of Neige's techniques involve conjuring mirrors which deflects the solid rounds fired from her weapon with exceptional accuracy. May double as Improbable Aiming Skills, as none of the rounds manages to hit her.
- Combination Attack: "Royal Heart Blaster" with the Fee-Kleid
- Easily Forgiven: Neige is quick to forgive Agrado Heim's shortcomings, although the latter explains the situation first. To be fair, she is quite sceptic to the situations.
- Expy: Basically a Fusion Dance of Shine Hausen and Leona Garstein ( She even has Leona's speech pattern. )
- Hammerspace: Aside from the mirrors, she pulls apple grenades via Victoria's Secret Compartment.
- Leitmotif: "Fairy ROM-Antic" and "Fairy ROM-Antic Go!"
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Complete with hand-next-to-mouth pose.
- Really 700 Years Old: 117, to be precise
- Sexy Backless Outfit: Her Meido outfit gets a backless variant
- Shout-Out: Neige means "snow" in French, and she's a princess who throws around exploding apples and encases enemies in glass coffins she blasts through and reflects lasers off mirrors in battle. What other person out there could possibly fit with snow, princess, mirrors, apples and glass coffins? Just to make it even more blatant, every single one of her moves except her Overdrive is named after elements of the original story, and her age can be taken as Snow White's age when she reawakens.
- Also, her name is a reference from another princess named Hausen from a similar game.
- Swiss Army Gun: Like Haken's Night Fowl, her Blade on a Stick doubles as a BFG that fires solid-based ammo and Frickin' Laser Beams... and also functions as a guitar.
- Tsundere: She instantly gets pegged as one during her introduction to one of the other characters. It turns out to be spot on.
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: As part of her Tsundere tendencies, she'll often criticize on Aledy's shortcomings, even if it's like him lamenting that he lacks training, in which she responds that she'll be the first to laugh at him.
- Verbal Tic: Has a tendency to add "do-" before words (making it "do-(noun/verb)"); it approximately means "super (noun/verb)".
The elite unit of Formido Heim, the world that invaded Elfetale and caused the Ten Year War which ended once they offered a ceasefire. Their members are Token Mini-Moe Black Magician Girl Kyon Feulion, black-winged valkyrie Henne Valkyria and skull-headed leader Ezel Granada. Utilizing various hi-tech equipment like Light Sabers and combat robots, they now roam around Elfetale and cause the Cross Gates that connects between worlds to be unstable. The bad guys, right? Wrong: turns out Formido Heim's actually trying to prevent an Einst invasion, who created an imposter of their deceased king, pushing Formido Heim into the Ten Year War. The group's vice-captain, Katze Kotolnos, leaves them and becomes The Atoner.In EXCEED, they aid the main party as support members. Aschen, having been given an offer to join by Henne at the end of the first game, is currently a member.
- A Father to His Men: Ezel, in fact in EXCEED, when the Magic Mirror created a reflection of the most important person in his heart, it produced the remaining member of the Orchestral Army.
- Attack Drone: Kyon's Overdrive, complete with Shoot 'em Up style.
- Big Good: Ezel in EXCEED
- Camp Gay: Katze; to hammer the point home, he uses the feminine-only "atashi".
- He still keeps making passes at the guys in EXCEED, prompting Haken to tell him to "not fall for him" when he praises him excessively. Made funnier by the fact Haken uses the same phrase a lot during combat when he's busy beating down Mooks, although with a more mocking intent.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: As camp as Katze is, he holds off the entire party by himself at one point.
- Cute Witch: Kyon
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Dojikko: The first two encounters with Kyon has her trapped and "helped" by the party. Bonus points for the fact that she, as Henne points out, carries a teleporter.
- Emoticon: Kyon frequently uses this:Henne (reading from a report): "Bad-tempered robot (I hate this one the most >XD)."
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Henne and Katze
- Extremity Extremist: Katze
- Gentle Giant: Ezel
- Heroic BSOD: Ezel's pretty down since the end of Ten Year War; it isn't until the end of the first game he finally lets go of his past.
- Hey, It's That Voice!:
- I'll Never Tell You What I'm Telling You: Kyon's prone to doing this
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The fact that they are supporting characters in EXCEED who acts extremely nice to the team spoiled the fact that they are not the antagonists of the first game.
- EXCEED also spoils that Formido Heim was manipulated by the Einsts who possessed their king, which established the Ten Year War, and the cause of the ceasefire.
- Leitmotif: "Orchestral Army"
- Let's Get Dangerous: When the party fights Katze
- Mask Power: Ezel always wears a horned skull helmet.
- Nice Guy: Ezel is definitely the nicest character in the whole game.
- Noble Demon: Ezel is this, literally and figuratively. Subverted that he might be the most outright heroic character in the whole series who personally put an end to the Ten Year War. He still thinks he deserves to be called a villain, though.
- Odd Name Out: While all of them have Theme Naming referencing animals of The Bremen Town Musicians, Kyon's name is Greek while the others are German.
- Only Sane Man: Ezel (and to an extent, Katze) is the most normal character on the team. Ezel, however, is the only one who is perfectly normal.
- Rapunzel Hair: Kyon has ankle length
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Whenever Ezel uses his Overdrive
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Crowned the king of Formido Heim at the end of the first game, Ezel is the only king who supported the party. Played for Laughs when he's criticized by John and Rubor Cucullus, who envied the fact that he can enjoy the fight.
- Running Gag: Henne and Kyon's report detailed the party's appearance. Both of them are finished with the description of Aschen, complete with "I hate this one the most >XD".
- Shout-Out: Their former frontline fortress "Poker Castle" was under the command of "Hum Dum". The fortress carries random mook encounters of card soldiers, a chest in the castle holds the "Cheshire" armor and Reiji Arisu joins the party here.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it "Orchestral" or "Orchestre"?
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Being a member of the former Army, Katze and Ezel are radically different from the rest of the team. Ezel is a bit more notable since he is The Stoic, unlike the whole Army.
- Token Mini-Moe/Tagalong Kid: Kyon
- Unknown Rival: A minor version where Kyon feels her Token Mini-Moe status is threatened when M.O.M.O appears in EXCEED; M.O.M.O isn't aware of this.
The denizens of Elfetale, made up of talking animals, fairies and elves. They were the primary targets during the Ten Year War with Formido Heim and thus, were hit the hardest. A majority of the elves fled the onslaught, taking refuge in the Shura world.
Dorothy Mistral (Voiced by Natsuko Kuwatani)
- Blow You Away: Although her main repetoire is explosives, one technique is randomly summoning a small tornado out from nowhere.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: How does she fit all those bombs under that dress of hers?
- Meaningful Name: "Mistral" refers to a strong, cold and usually dry regional wind in France.
- Of Corsets Sexy
- Only Smart People May Pass: In Dorothy's fortress. Probably justified, since she's an Insufferable Genius.
- Our Elves Are Better: Following a certain point in the first game, Dorothy sells some of the best accessories available for purchase.
- Shout-Out: When you fight her for the first time, she comes along with minions named "Cerebrumless", "Heartless", and "Valorless". The road to her "Esmeralda Castle" is paved with yellow bricks, and in the sequel, she'll occasionally call out her attack as "Return To Home!" Another one of her attacks is called "Poppin Typhoon!"
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Where does she hide all those bombs of hers, anyway?
Rubor Cucullus (Voiced by Ryōtarō Okiayu)
- Bash Brothers: Used to be quite the team with Lee Ly before the Ten Year War.
- BFS: Doubles as a Swiss Army Weapon, as the tip of his sword hides a gun barrel that fires solid rounds.
- Charles Atlas Superpower
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He takes a very hands-on approach to solve what he sees as problems.
- Shout-Out: His castle is named "Abuelita", Spanish for "grandmother".
- Unknown Rival: To Ezel in the first game, but Ezel just doesn't care because of his Heroic BSOD.
Cleo GretelAn Egyptian-themed lamia with a sweet tooth, who bakes delicious sweets. Apparently the reason why she wasn't in the first game was because she was living under the Crossgate deep within the Dulces Tomb. Operates a bakery called "Fatty Hansel".
- Brainwashed and Crazy
- Brilliant but Lazy: She's really strong and makes wonderful items, but despite being the "guardian" of Dulces Tomb, Cleo prefers not doing her job at all and lounges in a dungeon under the Crossgate instead.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Cute Monster Girl: She's a lamia — no, not that Lamia — with a well-pronounced Egyptian motif.
- Sweet Tooth: Consistently seen chewing on a lollipop, and her Overdrive involves bombarding the party with loads of sweets.
- Shout-Out: "Cleo" for Cleopatra, while her surname, her obsession with sweets and her store named "Fatty Hansel" is from another familiar Brother's Grimm fairytale.
Katze Kotolnos (Voiced by Ryōtarō Okiayu)See: Orchestral Army
The Sirena Pirates
- Blood Knight: A bit. Anne Sirena's solution to a confusing situation? A fight or blow everything away.
- Cool Big Sis: Anne to the rest of the girls in the party in EXCEED. May double as the Team Mom.
- Dual Wielding: Anne uses a pair of cannons in combat and holds them like Dual Tonfas.
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: Dodged in the case of Anne, who is actually part-Orca.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: Anne's a half-Orca mermaid, while her Sidekick Bonny Maxmad is at best a fish-type kemono.
- Pirate Girl: Anne
- Shout-Out: Their names are derived from Anne Bonny, a historical female pirate.
- Team Mom: Anne in EXCEED acts like this on occasion around the younger girls in the party, such as M.O.M.O. and Einst Alfimi.
The people of Kagura Amahara live primarily in three places: under the World Tree "Fujisakura", in the frontier town of Ryugu Island and in the Oni Megi Castle. During the Ten Year War, they secluded themselves from Elftale by closing their Crossgates.
- Big Good: In the first game; he is the king of Kagura Amahara, after all.
- Good Hair, Evil Hair: Has an exceptionally neat, full beard
- Multicolored Hair: Black and red
- Pervert Dad: Possibly, after an incident regarding a fake Kaguya running around, brainwashing people, he had this to say:Sanuki : "Ah, but those curves...There's no mistaking them! You're my daughter!"
Kaguya: "Father, can't you think of a better way to recognize me?"
Koma (Voiced by Natsuko Kuwatani)
- Cat Girl: Variation; since her tail splits in two, she's more akin to a bakeneko.
- Cats Are Mean: Koma will fight against the party if the price is right, only to turn face post-battle and sell the party items the next time they meet.
- Everythings Cuterwith Kittens
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Starts off fighting you to stop you from continuing into the dungeon, as she was being paid. (you can't actually continue due to some Mild Kiel crystals, something that is lampshaded) After that, she sells you items and apologizes, then turns around and fights you again at another dungeon, having a new employer who was paying her a ridiculous amount of money. Following her second defeat, she gets spanked off-screen and goes back to selling items again.
- Leitmotif: "Everybody Do The Koma!"
- Proud Merchant Family
- Meaningful Name: Koma comes from nekomata, as in the Japanese twin-tailed cat demon.
- Money to Throw Away: Used as part of over Overdrive.
- Not So Different: In EXCEED, Mark Hunter plays exactly the same role as her in the first game.
- Verbal Tic: "Nya!"
- Berserk Button: Any mention that Koma is his "daughter", and outright insulting his shop.
- Proud Merchant Family: He represents the "honorable" side.
- Verbal Tic: Tends to end his sentences with "Wan!" or "Woof!"
Shuten, King of the Shiki-Oni (Voiced by Tetsu Inada)
- Blade on a Stick
- Brainwashed and Crazy: In the first game, which is easy thanks to his pride as an Oni.
- Heel Realization: When you defeat him for the second time, Shuten realizes he can't overcome the Einst's mind control like he thought. This is because he was playing by their plan already, thus there's no actual need to control him.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Him and Suzuka
- Lolicon: Possibly...
- Shock and Awe
- Meaningful Name: His name's derived from "Shutendouji", the giant ruler of Oni in Japanese folklore.
The Shura are a fight happy Proud Warrior Race, who originated from a world they called "Hakoku", nicknamed "The Land of Waves". They were in the middle of a war with another race until their sudden transfer to the Endless Frontier. Shura politics are one of the three guiding forces that move the story in Endless Frontier EXCEED.
- Asskicking Equals Authority
- Demoted to Extra: You'll never use her, let alone fight against her.
- Old Master: Fulfills this trope, yet subverted for not being old at all.
- Shout-Out: If you thought Aledy's name was farfetched, Cindy is, likewise, a pun on "Sinbad".
- The Tease: At the beginning of the game to Aledy.
Hamelin Sibalto (Voiced by Tomokazu Sugita)
- Extremity Extremist
- Facial Markings
- Musical Assassin
- People Puppets: Is the main source of the brainwashing in EXCEED.
- Shout-Out: To The Pied Piper of Hamelin; in fact, one of his attacks is summoning a stampede of mice people to trample you.
- The Alcatraz: Her base of operations
- Asskicking Equals Authority
- Bling of War: Just look at her dress!
- An Ice Person
- Meaningful Name: "Miroir" is French for "mirror"; some of Gerda's attacks invovle conjuring a duplicate image of herself.
- Nice Hat: Wears a unique Russian Ushanka
- The Rival: To Cindy, which is understandable, as the two women are among the highest ranking warriors among the Shura.
One of the driving forces behind the events of EXCEED and the main antagonists of the game. They were at war with the Shura of Hakoku, with several of their members being familiar with Aledy or one of the other Shura generals. They share many similarities with the denizens of Formido Heim. Agrado Heim itself looks like a Space Station.
Gagun Laos/Gymnos Basileus (Voiced by Kenichi Ono)
- Big Bad
- Expy: Of W-15 Wodan Ymir, except only in appearance. He is nothing like Wodan, since W-05 has no emotions and he simply stole the body.
- Cloning Blues: W-05 is a spare body for Wodan.
- Grand Theft Me: W-05
- Not Quite Dead His soul's currently possessing W-05's body.
- For the Evulz: The entire plot of EXCEED, as well as the motivation of Agrado Heim, revolves around trying to gather enough restless souls to power their own World Tree to cross to another dimension. This was the entire reason why they made war with the Shura, but also the reason why they sought the surviving Einst, brought chaos across the Endless Frontier and attempted to corrupt the Fujisakura. Were they to succeed, they plan to start the process all over again.
- Thanatos Gambit: They included themselves among the restless souls to harvest in their plan should they fail to win.
- Meaningful Name: "Gymnos Basileus" means "naked king" in Greek.
- One-Winged Angel: When he gathers enough souls, he transforms into the Svaiser.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Summon Magic: When confronted by the party, he attempts to summon something across the dimensions. Out pops Xiaomu, instead.
- Authority Equals Ass Kicking: "The Queen of the Valkyries"
- Evil Counterpart: To Henne
- Shout-Out: To the Valkyrie Brunhilde/Brünnhilde
Rig The Guard
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Almost killed Aledy and Neige in the past until Cindy arrived to help.
- The Rival: Another one for Cindy; after his fight with her, he began to incorporate many Shura techniques into his style.
Gand SiblingsIncludes members Vanar Gand, Hela Gand, Jolm Gand. How they classify as "siblings" despite being entirely different species is a mystery.
- Standard Status Effects: Jolm's Breath Weapon
- The Rival: Vanar fought Aledy during the Shura-Agrado Heim wars when the latter was still a child. Apparently, the young Aledy left quite an impression on him.
- Sacrificial Lion: All three sacrifice their souls to empower Gagun, who transforms into the Svaiser.
- Sphere of Destruction: Hela's Overdrive
One of the driving forces behind both games, they are the same-named faction from the main series. One of the Shadow Mirror's Neverland-class battleships broke in two during a dimensional jump, with the front and rear parts landing in Formido Heim and Lost Herencia, respectively. Their commander androids, the W-Numbers, are key characters in all games.Of the eleven W-Numbers that are known in Endless Frontier, five are still unaccounted for.
W-00See: Haken Browning.
W-03 Pete Pain (Voiced by Yuuichi Nakamura)Pete Pain is a W-Number designed to eliminate other W-Numbers, tasked with "clean up" and ensure that sensitive information does not fall into enemy hands. He uses a unique command "Code: PTP" (Play The Piper) that overrides the programming of other W-Numbers. At one point in EXCEED, Pete manages to gain control of Aschen and Cardia Basirissa. He orders the latter to self-destruct at a specific point, and intended to kill Haken by ordering Aschen to do the same. A timely intervention and quick-thinking by Axel activates Aschen's Code: DTD, which overrides Code: PTP. Throughout EXCEED, Pete rebuilds various mecha, such as the Arkgain and the Gespensts, and attempts to assassinate W-05 but fails. He eventually self-destructs to allow the party into Agrado Heim (after failing to assassinate them for the last time).
- Artificial Human
- The Atoner
- Casanova Wannabe: Invokes this trope unintentionally at one point when he has both Aschen and Cardia flanking him.
- Marionette Master: Code: PTP
- Standard Status Effects: Appropriate, as he's not really a "fighting" android and more of a "command"-type.
- Shout-Out: Well, duh....
W-05See: Agrado Heim
W-06 Cardia Basirissa (Voiced by Mariko Suzuki)
- Artificial Human
- Blade Below the Shoulder
- Everything's Better with Spinning
- Evil Twin/The Rival: To Aschen; naturally, this is a Call Back to the similar rivalry between Lamia and...
- Expy: Echidna "W-16" Iisaki
- Killed Off for Real
- Robot Girl
W-07See: Aschen Brodel
- Asskicking Equals Authority: After retiring, they made him the mayor of Lost Herencia.
- Big Good: In the first game alongside Sanuki, and Ezel in EXCEED.
- Dirty Old Man: To hit this home, this is John's initial greeting to Kaguya:"Eh? Who's this? I don't think I asked for one today, but I won't say no..."
- In EXCEED, the first thing he does when the party meets him is to ask Kaguya and Neige to stand next to him. The girls oblige but aren't aware of the implications. Axel stands in awe at the sight of the two girls flanking the old man, while Aledy's blushing for some reason he can't define...
- Neige actually catches on to the implications. One of her lines after being called to stand by John's side is:"Daddy, can I have a new handbag?"
- The Rival: To Dorothy
Crew of the Zeit Krokodil
- Expy: Professor Marion Sumii to Doctor Marion Radom
- Hot Scientist: Marion
- I Am A Humanitarian: It's hard to tell if Vice Chief Lee Ly's comments about how "scumptious" people he just met are should be taken seriously.
- Shout-Out: Marion's surname "Sumii" and the man-tiger Lee Ly. John, however, is named after "John Moses Browning", a Real Life firearms designer, who among other things designed the Browning Automatic Rifle (aka the BAR), the Colt M1911, FN Hi-Power, and M2 heavy machinegun.
The true Big Bad of the first game, the Einst are the source of all conflict that occurred in the Endless Frontier. When the overambitious king of Formido Heim attempted to explore a recently opened Crossgate, he returned possessed by the Einst. The impostor started a war of genocide with Elfetale. The Einst also possessed three machines that accompanied him: the Nacht, the Abend and the Arkgain.
- A God Am I: In sharp constrast to their "father", Neue Regisseur.
- Bonus Boss: Ezel was unable to vanquish the Einst who impersonated the Formido Heim king, but the best he could do was seal it. It is considered the strongest boss in the first game if players decide to fight it.
- Eldritch Abomination
- Gratuitous German
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Taiten Kusunoki as the Wahrschein Lichkeit
- Meaningful Name
- Wahrschein Lichkeit = "Probability"
- Wesent Lichkeit = "Materiality"/"Essentiality"
- Not Quite Dead: You think that's the last you'll see the Wahrschein Lichkeit? Hah!
- There's No Place Like Home: Their desire to return home is their reason for committing their acts in the series.
- The Virus
Endless Frontier Mecha
Alt Eisen Nacht
- Combination Attack: Rampage Specter
- Expy: Of the Alt Eisen Riese
- Kinetic Weapons Are Just Better
- More Dakka
- Pile Bunker: Nacht's Revolving Breaker
- Shoulders of Doom
- Turns Red: By default, the Nacht is blue, but once it enters into "rage mode", the blue coloring around the chassis turns to red.
- Combination Attack: Haou Mametsu Ken
- Demonic Possession
- Evil Twin: In the form of the ice-based Rasetsu-Ki and the stronger Arc-Ontes, both of which are mass-produced versions created by Gerda for her army.
- Expy: Of the Ialdabaoth; essentially, the Ark-On's a Palette Swap of Folka's Ialdabaoth, painted black in place of crimson.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs
- Secret Test of Character: To Aledy
ArkgainOne of the four robots created by Formido Heim which wandered the Endless Frontier. Since its construction is more similar to an android than other mecha, Haken believed it was W-00. In reality, the Arkgain they encounter in the first game is a mere replica: the original Arkgain was W-10. Upon stealing the Soulgain from the Tesla Leicht Institute in her home dimension, Lemon realized the Soulgain's artificial exoskeleton and musculature can be used and mass-produced for androids. The W-10 was based on the Soulgain, but unlike the rest of the W-Numbers, it had neither a human-like appearance or personality, made purely for combat, without its ability to blend in with humanoids.
- A Mech by Any Other Name: Commonly known as a "Yousei-Ki" among its creators.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Fee-Kleid's Refined Swayer
- Combination Attack: Royal Heart Blaster
- Dance Battler
- Expy: Of the Fairlion
- Everything's Better with Spinning
- Shoulder Cannon: Fee-Kleid's Twisted Laser
Gespenst PhantomUsually just called Phantom, this is another of the four robots created by Formido Heim which wandered the Endless Frontier. Unlike the Nacht, Abend and Arkgain, the Phantom was built by Formido Heim after the Ten Year War to hunt down the other three. The Phantom was based on "Gespenst Haken" (W-00's personal unit) using data found in the Tinkerbell supercomputer of the Neverland battleship. Cardia restores the Phantom's original programming after encountering it, assigning it to work alongside her. After being defeated by Haken (whom the Phantom recognized as its true master), it forcibly shuts itself down allowing the group to capture it. When the Nacht and Abend malfunction following an encounter with Haken's party in Varna Kanai, the Phantom automatically inserts is programming into them, converting both machines to serve Haken and his allies. The Phantom serves Haken faithfully and, by start of EXCEED, is the only robot that still accompanies him (whereas the Nacht and Abend have mysteriously disappeared).
- BFS: Phantom's Grand Plasma Cutter
- Chest Blaster, Wave Motion Gun: Phantom's Neutron Blaster
- Composite Character: Phantom uses the black-color scheme of the original Gespenst used by Gilliam Yeager, has larger versions of the Gespenst MK II Type-R's "Slash Ripper", the same Chest Blaster as the Gespenst Type-S and the "Gespenst Kick" from the Gespenst MK II Type-S.
- Fuuma Shuriken: Phantom's Grand Slash Ripper
- Robot Buddy: Once the Phantom joins the group, it is totally loyal to Haken. While it cannot talk back to him, Haken repeatedly shows gratitude towards it.
Jyaki-GUN-OhA "karakuri" used by Suzuka as a weapon. Unlike the other robots listed here, it is more or less a puppet controlled by strings attached to Suzuka's Paper Fan of Doom, thus not a true robot, despite its Super Robot design. Notably, the Jyaki-GUN-Oh is designated as a Choukijin, the same classification of machines as the RyuKoOh/KoRyuOh.
- Gatling Good
- Healing Shiv: In EXCEED during one of Suzuka's Special Skills
- Macross Missile Massacre
- More Dakka
- Shout-Out: Compare some of the Jyaki-GUN-Oh's starter attacks to the Alt Eisen.