Must be Monday. New podcast! Just click on the fancy logo below.
Luckily it folds up for easy storage.
(throwing star) which is really, really big. Fuuma
literally translates as "wind demon" and is taken from the name of a famous Ninja
clan. Mostly used by ninja for thematic purposes, despite it having lost the quality which made it useful to them in the first place
. Can sometimes be folded for easier storage.
Sometimes overlaps with Precision-Guided Boomerang
. A Sub Trope
of Impossibly Cool Weapon
, since there is absolutely no way to use it without cutting yourself in two.
Not to be confused with Fuuma Kotaro
(though he has wielded them in fiction).
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Miho's manji shuriken in Sin City isn't as big as the ones detailed here but it's certainly too large to be realistically practical.
- The Showa Gamera kaiju Guiron is has a pair of giant shurikens in its head that it controls with psychokinesis.
- The Glaive from Krull.
- Sarutobi Sasuke dual-wields these in Sengoku Basara.
- It also stars Fuuma Kotaro, who can be considered a Trope Namer (and whose shuriken is much bigger than Sasuke's). Although he doesn't use the shuriken outside the games.
- The Fuuma from various Final Fantasy games.
- Edge from Final Fantasy IV can throw these, along with swords, spears, knives, etc. The Fuma Shuriken has one of the highest Attack ratings of any weapon, exceeded only by the one-off Knife (999!), Lightbringer (246), & Abel's Lance (230).
- Yuffie from Final Fantasy VII uses these. One of her weapons is explicitly called this in the original version of the game, but it's translated as Magic Shuriken. She retains it in her Kingdom Hearts appearances, as an undeflectable homing weapon.
- Axel from Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days can use a pair of these as well though they are translated as Conformers as a Shout Out to Yuffie's ultimate weapon.
- Seifer's minion Fuujin from Final Fantasy VIII wields one called a Missle Blade when you fight her.
- Phantom in Mega Man Zero and Mega Man ZX uses them, but also throws sets of regular kunais.
- Shadow Man in Mega Man 3 uses one, and like Ryu's, it's a boomerang.
- Gyroman's Gyro Blade acts like this, and it can make a 90 degree turn once.
- The Ninja Gaiden series has the signature Windmill shuriken.
- Timing your jumps to avoid its return makes it an orbiting weapon that costs no more mana than one shot.
- One of the weapon styles in Soul Calibur 3 incorporates a fuuma shuriken for a few special attacks.
- Lu Bu of Dynasty Warriors wields a version of this since the sixth game that seems to be part Bifurcated Weapon.
- Avernum 2 introduces these as the primary ranged weapon of the Vahnatai (although it refers to them as "razordisks.") They're uncommon, expensive, and non-reusable, but they make up for it with incredible base damage.
- In Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode, a large serrated disc left around an abandoned Fortress (usually used for traps) can be picked up and throw around like one of these.
- Kubikiri Basara from Samurai Shodown is armed with a large three-bladed shuriken connected to his gauntlet with a long chain, allowing him to catch it back when its thrown.
- Grand Chase has the pet Ninkoro who attacks with one of these. Later the resident Ninja, Lass, also gained it as a optional Special Attack, oddly named "Hornet Sting" for whatever reason.
- Gotcha Force features the aptly-named Shuriken Ninja, who has one of these strapped to his back. He uses it in two ways - if using his standard melee combo, he somersaults and hits with it a few times as the last hit of the combo. If you use his special dashing attack, he flings himself in a horizontal line, spinning the entire time. The latter is useful as a rapid multi-hit combo and as it's somehow immune to gravity while spinning. Slightly subverted in that the Ninja in question is the size of an action figure: it's huge to HIM, but...
- The second character in Kung Fu Chivalry for the Mac has this for a special attack.
- One of the Ninja class' two primary weapons in Ragnarok Online. It can be thrown with the powerful Throw Fuuma Shuriken skill, or used a melee weapon.