Video Game: X-Men: Children of the Atom
X-Men: Children of the Atom
is the beginning mark for the Marvel vs. Capcom
Sometime around 1994, Capcom
gained the rights to make video games based on the heroes of Marvel Comics
, starting with X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
for the Super Nintendo
. This being the early 90's, with Street Fighter
mania in full swing, they decided to start with a Fighting Game
using the X-Men
The game had six of the X-Men (Cyclops, Wolverine
, Psylocke, Iceman, Colossus, and Storm
) and four of their enemies (Silver Samurai, Omega Red, Spiral, and a Sentinel) taking each other on in a series of one-on-one battles, before fighting their way through the Juggernaut and facing Magneto in a final showdown. Akuma, from Super Street Fighter II Turbo
, makes an appearance as a Guest Fighter Secret Character
, thus paving the way for the eventual coming of Capcom vs. Whatever
The game featured a unique exaggerated and animesque style accompanied by massive screen-blasting Super Combos
and the ultra-high jumps needed to avoid them.
Naturally, the game was a hit, and it was followed in 1995 with Marvel Super Heroes
This game shows examples of:
- An Ice Person: Iceman.
- Also Storm in some of her attacks.
- Ascended Extra: Sentinel.
- Attract Mode
- Big Bad: Magneto.
- Blow You Away: Storm uses wind attacks as a few of her specials, and combines it with An Ice Person for one of her Supers.
- Calling Your Attacks:
- The Cameo: Many characters make appearances in the endings and stages, such as the Professor X, Mojo and Jean Grey.
- Combat Tentacles: Omega Red
- Death or Glory Attack: Storm's Hailstorm Super.
- Guest Fighter: Akuma, as a Secret Character.
- Humongous Mecha: Sentinel.
- Jiggle Physics: Psylocke is quite bouncy.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Silver Samurai.
- Life Drain: Omega Red could drain the health or super meter of an opponent, doing so would refill his health/super meter.
- Lightning Bruiser: Sentinel, especially when flying.
- Rocket Punch: Sentinel. It even says those two words.
- Shock and Awe: Storm's primary form of offense, as well as several of Silver Samurai's attacks.
- Shotoclone: Cyclops.
- Shout-Out: Check the page.
- SNK Boss: Magneto. His AI is complete bullshit and seeks to royally piss you off at the worst time possible. He can fly away well out of your characters' reach and assault them with an extremely fast, damaging projectile. He has another move where he sends in four magnetic balls that are unblockable and home in on you, and when he catches them he can do whatever he wants. His super hits off-the-ground and unlike in other games reaches the top of the screen vertically, plus does ridiculous damage and it's very hard to avoid it. He's really fast, does a ton of damage with just a few blows, he is really difficult to get inside of and just has everything.
To make things even MORE insulting, his throw allows him to follow-up with pretty much anything since it freezes you. Plus, his super meter fills automatically and he has a full bar in seconds to spend on flight, Magnetic Shockwave or a force field where he is COMPLETELY INVULNERABLE to attacks for a set period of time.
- Puzzle Boss: Then again, if you study him long enough, you will notice that he always follow a strict pattern which you can exploit.
- Stripperiffic: In the ladies' side, we have Psylocke. And in the men's side, if one is feeling crazy, Colossus.
- Surprisingly Good English: All the characters save Silver Samurai are voiced by native English speakers.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: All of Cyclops' moves (in this game and the later ones he appears in) are basically various forms of optic blasts.
- Not entirely true: Cyclops had two special attacks that didn't use his optic blasts- Cyclone Kick, a spin kick attack that was fairly similar to Ryu's Hurricane Kick, and Charging Tackle, a running grapple that ended with an elbow drop.
- Wolverine Claws: Wolverine, duh.
- Zeroth Law Rebellion: In Sentinel's ending in X-Men: Children of the Atom, after defeating Magneto, Sentinel returns to earth. Then, the complete Sentinel line is activated and they start to wipe all the mutants on earth. After the success of the mission... they start wiping out humanity!