Raul Gureden (Voiced by Go Inoue)
Male protagonist of Super Robot Wars Reversal
, Raul Gureden is a test pilot of the Excellence machine installed with the Time Flow Engine. He is partnered with Wrench Wench
Mizuho Saiki and good friends with the energy otaku
Raji Montoya. His story differs depending on Continuity
, Raul lives in a Crapsack World
where events like Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
or Martian Successor Nadesico: Prince of Darkness
is on the air. Trying to promote the Time Flow Engine, he enlists him and his team to the Nahel Argama
, but at one point meets the enigmatic Duminuss, who wants the Engine for its own purposes. Attacking Raul and his team, the Engine is damaged enough that it opens a wormhole, transporting them to the past, but before the events that occurred which turned their world into a crapsack one. After doubting that any changes will preserve the future, Raul declares that maybe
a Temporal Paradox
won't hurt, if it's to fix the Bad Future
, thus works with the "Round Knights
" to ensure events will not trigger to cause the worst outcome. Duminuss continues to target him and the Engine, but its death throws Raul and his company back to their time, now brighter and sunnier because of his efforts to fix the past.
In Super Robot Wars Original Generation 2
, he hails from the same world as the Shadow-Mirror
, with a younger twin sister named Fiona. In the prologue, the team's sought by the Shadow-Mirror, but continues to elude them, until Lemon Browning
sends Axel Almer
to retrieve the Time Flow Engine. He proceeds to disable Fiona's Excellence when Duminuss appears and sends an attack at Raul. Fiona takes the shot
, but the shock of the attack causes the Engine in her unit to go haywire and open a dimensional gate, sucking the siblings in (fortunately for Axel, he eludes it). Raul, Raji and Mizuho wind up transported to the Original Generation universe and align with the Earth Federation Army (with some help from Gilliam Yeager
) at the height of the war with the Inspectors
and the Einst
. Following the conflict, Raul, Raji and Mizuho join the crew of the Kurogane
battleship, with hopes that they might find Fiona.
Six months later in Original Generation Gaiden
, during a clash between Kouta Azuma
and his Brainwashed and Crazy
sister Shouko Azuma
as "Dark Emi", the energies from the Compatible Kaiser and G-Thundergate trigger a wormhole with Fiona and her Excellence coming out from it. While Raul catches up Fiona with current events, Duminuss kidnaps Raji and Mizuho. In response, he and Fiona take their machines to battle the creature and rescue them both, alongside saving Duminuss' surviving homunculus Despinis
. Raul's story ends with him dismantling the Excellence, citing the Time Flow Engine is too dangerous and something like Duminuss will come again with hopes to seize the Engine and misuse it. Opting to open a junkyard/mechanic shop called "L&E Corporation" and taking in Despinis as a family member
, Raul continues to become a test pilot for Mizuho's new rescue-oriented robotics. Despite not actively taking to the battlefield again, Raul continues to help the Earth Federation Army in the Second Original Generation
Which machine does he pilot? The Excellence, of course, with a full set of frames, changeable to adapt to any situation/terrain. In either continuity, after Mizuho and Raji are captured by Duminuss, Raul acquires the super robot
Excellence "Lightning" as a final upgrade. For the Second Original Generation
, despite having dismantled the Excellence, Raul returns with the new Excellence "Rescue". Raul embodies these tropes:
- Attack Drones: Excellence Cosmodiver's "Fairy"
- Call Back: In Scenario 27 for Original Generation Gaiden, Raul notes the environment is the same when they were attacked by Axel and Duminuss back in their world. Original Generation Gaiden reused the same map from Original Generations.
- Chest Blaster: Excellence Lightning's "Black Sun"
- Combat Medic: Rescue frame
- Cool Sword: Excellence Lightning's "Dimension Slasher"
- Guns Akimbo: Cosmodiver frame
- Leitmotif: "Over The Time Flow"
- Mecha Expansion Pack, Swiss-Army Weapon: Excellence's multiple frames
- Multicolored Hair: Black-red hair
- Screw The Already Bleak Future
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: His standard reaction whenever people try to ship him with Mizuho.
- Spear Counterpart: Reversal'' only
- Temporal Paradox, Time Travel: Reversal only; of note is he doesn't necessarily care that he might alter the future to be more of a crapsack than before.
- Transforming Mecha: Excellence is basically this; in Original Generation, it can change frames on the fly, as opposed to Reversal, where it can only change during the intermission or docked with an allied battleship.
- What Could Have Been: According to Word of God, Raul and the rest of the Reversal cast were originally not intended to be in the Second Original Generation. Because of development delays and time constaints, the team either didn't add them into the sequel or put them in, but rendered only the Excellence Rescue as the only frame available; they chose the latter.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: The dismantling of the Time Flow Engine and Excellence frames is due to the belief it is attracting problems because of its unique nature. Turns out extraterrestrials still flock to Earth without it.
Fiona Gureden (Voiced by Yuki Masuda)
The heroine of Reversal
, Fiona starts as Raul's Distaff Counterpart
, meaning her story's the same as his in Reversal
, yet they cannot coexist together. In other words, don't expect Fiona to be into Girls Love
, since she has a steady relationship with Raji, where she believes her status as a test pilot hinders his research with the Time Flow Engine. Original Generation
turns her into a younger twin sister
and unlike Raul who takes his business seriously
, Fiona's much more laid back and teasing
and likes to remind Raul she's his younger sister, despite him claiming it shouldn't make any difference, since they're... well, you know... twins.
Her story starts out the same as Raul in Original Generation 2
, but after being thrown into the dimensional gate, Fiona vanishes and isn't seen again. Come Original Generation Gaiden
, when the clash between the Compatible Kaiser's Overgate Engine and the G-Thundergate opens up a wormhole, out pops Fiona, starving and still injured from taking the attack meant for Raul by Duminuss. Thanks to the interference of Axel and Einst Alfimi
, Raul hauls her for medical attention aboard the Kurogane
. After being caught up with the fact she's in an Alternate Dimension
and learning Raji and Mizuho are kidnapped by Duminuss, Fiona takes to the battlefield to assault Duminuss and continue to be at her brother's side. With Duminuss defeated, Fiona dismantles her Excellence, agreeing the Time Flow Engine is still yet an unstable piece of technology, and opens the "L&E Corporation" (named by her after the Lightning and Eternal frames) with Raul as another test pilot for Mizuho, although Dr. Marion Radom
states she wants to build something for Fiona that's better than the Excellence.
She starts with the same Excellence machine like Raul, however her final upgrade is the much more feminime Excellence "Eternal". Fiona embodies these tropes (some of them are shared with Raul, though):
Raji Montoya (Voiced by Hideki Ogihara)
Raul's scientist buddy who created the Time Flow Engine, Raji's an Otaku
about energy sources and usually accompanies Raul in his endeavors, but in case you're playing Fiona's scenario in Reversal
, he's her love interest and a big source of Fiona's Wangst
. In either continuity, he's kidnapped with Mizuho to create a new Time Flow Engine for Duminuss, but sabotages it at the last second to give Raul/Fiona a chance. Exclusively for Original Generation
, he becomes a sub-pilot for Raul's Excellence Lightning. At the end of Original Generation Gaiden
, when Raul and Fiona decide to dismantle their Excellences, Raji doesn't entirely abandon his continuing research to the Time Flow Engine, but he does intend to one day discover the Engine's true properties.Not related in any way with Inigo Montoya
, nor did he say that
, nor were his parents killed by Duminuss
and neither does he say "Prepare to Die
Tropes associated with Raji:
- Ascended Extra: Promoted from a non-playable side-character in Reversal to a sub-pilot in Original Generation.
- Heroic Second Wind: Of sorts; basically, when Duminuss appears for the near-last time in Reversal, it's really joyous that not even the Round Knights can stop it from getting what it wants. Suddenly, Raji makes his "malfunction" on the second Time Flow Engine work, Duminuss gets horribly wounded and the tables are turned to the Round Knights' favor.
- Stoic Spectacles
- Otaku, No Fourth Wall: In one intermission save dialogue, he tries to disassemble your PlayStation 2 just to understand how the energy source is!
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Mahoromatic fans will recognize Raji as Toshiya; SHUFFLE! fans will hear Itsuki.
Mizuho Saiki (Voiced by Mariko Suzuki)
The other friend of Raul, more specifically his girlfriend (or not, as he insists
), Mizuho's responsible for the creation of the Excellence machines and their various frames, built on the basis that her parents died after a disaster and she wanted to create a rescue-based unit. The irony is because of the demand in their world, she winds up arming the Excellence instead. Unfortunately for players, if Fiona's the main character for Reversal
, don't expect any Les Yay
. Usually seen next with Raji as a pair developing the Excellence, in either continuity, she's kidnapped with him by Duminuss. Exclusively for Original Generation
, she becomes a sub-pilot for Fiona's Excellence Eternal.
Tropes associated with Mizuho:
DUMINUSS & FAMILY
Ah, such a happy family...
The antagonists of Reversal
, this group consists of a giant pink blob-thing
and its three homunculi children. Tropes common among all of them are:
- Crossdressing Voices: Duminuss and Laliar
- Freudian Trio, Nice Mean And In Between
- Tis is the "id", being the most bratty and impulsive
- Laliar is the "ego", who acts as the mediator between the siblings
- Despinis is the "superego", since she handles the task of supervising the construction the second Time Flow Engine.
- Leitmotif: "Original Sin"; exclusively in Original Generation Gaiden, the homunculi get their own exclusive theme "Be A Perfect".
- Little Miss Badass: Tis and Despinis; in fact, don't let the latter's demure self fool you. She's just about as good as she gets in combat.
- Meaningful Name, Theme Naming: Duminuss and homunculi are all named after Greek words
- Duminuss or dunamis means "power", while teis, despinis and ''raria" mean "matter", "miss" and "speech", respectively.
- The homunculi's mecha are Thugater and Pater (Tis), Eleos (Despinis) and Hypokrisis (Laliar), meaning "daughter" and "father", "mercy" and "hypocrisy", respectively.
- Our Homunculi Are Different: Although they look like human children, each have Super Strength
- Spell My Name with an S: Is it "Tis" or "Tiz"? Is it "Despinis" or "Despoiniz"? Is it "Laliar", "Ralia" or "Lalia"?
- Undying Loyalty: The three homunculi to Duminuss; subverted in Original Generation during Duminuss' Last Stand.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child: Played with in Reversal; Duminuss created the homunculi as children believing people will hesitate to fight a child. Averted when they sacrifice their "mind" to heal their badly injured master, forcing the player to kill them.
Duminuss (Voiced by Atsuko Hayama)
Duminuss is the mysterious entity in Reversal
who claims it killed its creator (it could possibly be a she
because of its voice actor in Original Generation
, but due to the lack of a specific gender, we'll simply designate Duminuss "genderless") and wonders about its purpose and attempts to find the answer. When Duminuss stumbles upon the Time Flow Engine, it tries to seize that with hopes to return to a point in the past and ask its creator about its purpose. Throughout Reversal
, Duminuss is assisted by three homunculi it created.
In Original Generations
, Duminuss makes its appearance in the Shadow-Mirror universe and heads an attack on the Gureden siblings, unknowingly damaging Fiona's Excellence and its Time Flow Engine. The next time it appears is in Original Generation Gaiden
, where-in Duminuss destroys Wilhelm von Juergen
and commandeers the ODE System for its use. In this setting, Duminuss has acquired the "Emi Armor" and G-Thundergate, and forms an uneasy alliance with the Shura
. As help for revealing the inner workings of the Swordian Fortress, Duminuss demands they kidnap Shouko Azuma, brainwashing her to become Dark Emi via the Emi Armor and use the G-Thundergate to antagonize Fighter Roar, Kouta's Henshin Hero
alter-ego. All this is so Duminuss can gather parts of the "Twelve Keys" to summon its master Dark Brain
into this dimension.
Unfortunately, due to multiple circumstance, the Emi Armor and G-Thundergate are seized by Kouta and his allies from the Earth Federation Army, forcing Duminuss to call its master. However, Dark Brain
deems Duminuss a failure for having lost the Emi Armor and G-Thundergate to his nemesis and destroys Duminuss after successfully summoning it..
Duminuss has three forms to fight you: "Proton", "Deutron" and "Triton". Original Generation Gaiden
tosses out the Deutron form and has Duminuss transform into Triton form after forcibly absorbing Tis and Laliar against their will
. Tropes associated with Duminuss:
- Anti-Villain Big Bad: Reversal version; many REALLY got too touched with the homunculi's heart-wrenching Heroic Sacrifice to the point one has to wonder "THIS is the Big Bad of the game?". Some players went to the extremes and were unable to finish Reversal because they just can't bear to see the event go in vain. Original Generation Gaiden threw all of this out the window, though.
- Back from the Dead, Came Back Wrong: It'd use these as a mean to antagonize the heroes by reviving two supposedly dead characters. In Reversal, it's Master Asia; in Original Generation, it's Lamia Loveless (though more of a case of salvaging a Not Quite Dead person).
- Beta Test Baddie: Implied in Original Generation Gaiden by Dark Brain, who calls Duminuss correctly as "Dynamis 3", that Duminuss is but one of many other Beta Test Baddies in the multiverse created and sent out to seek the Twelve Keys.
- Evil Matriarch: Apparently this is what it is, if you think it's a "she". It doesn't help that Duminuss has a Cross Dressing Voice.
- One-Winged Angel: Two moments of this in Reversal
- More Than Mind Control: More or less; in Original Generation Gaiden, it resorts to this to control Lamia since normal reprogramming isn't enough, yet it misses one tiny black box which ends up enabling her to recover.
- Smug Snake: In Original Generation Gaiden, Duminuss works with fellow Smug Snake Mizal Touval.
- Villain Override: Touchingly subverted in Reversal; as Duminuss is fatally wounded by the Round Knights, the homunculi sacrifice their souls to heal it, but their bodies keep going, still determined to carry out their creator's last wish. Made more touchingly when Dumniuss asks each of them what they desire, promising to fulfill it when it resurrects them.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Duminuss' only wish is to know its purpose; because its creator shunned Duminuss, it destroyed the creator. It's implied Dark Brain implanted that memory into Duminuss and abandoned it. Duminuss shifts into different dimensions, discovers the Time Flow Engine and wants to use it to return to the past to ask its creator for its purpose. Three homunculi are constructed by Duminuss to assist it, with such loyalty to it they willingly sacrifice themselves to regenerate their master. The Round Knights destroy Duminuss and it dies in agony never knowing what its true purpose is. Note this only applies to the Reversal countepart as Original Generation Gaiden subverts this and makes Duminuss an unrepentant Jerk Ass, since its Original Generation counterpart is an entirely different entity created by Dark Brain.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Attempts to do so in Original Generation Gaiden. After making it look like Lamia is Killed Off for Real, Duminuss brings her back in order to demoralize her allies, making sure that Lamia cannot refuse any order, such as a Self-Destruct Mechanism. This ends in failure because Axel happens to be around, has a change of heart and knows something that overrides Duminuss' brainwashing.
Tis (Voiced by Mayuko Takahashi)
The pink-haired homunculus of Duminuss, Tis is the leader of the three. Impulsive and hot-headed, Tis is super sensitive about the size of breasts
(in fact, her wish if she ever gets revivied is to get a body with larger ones
). In Reversal
, Tis makes contact with the Gaizock Empire
; in Original Generation
, she handles the Space Flounder monsters
, as well ensuring the G-Thundergate is still in their possession.
Her mecha is called the Durgatel. Tis embodies these tropes:
Despinis (Voiced by Megumi Ishikawa)
The blue-haired homunculus of Duminuss, the chronically and painfully shy
Despinis is charged with keeping control of those brought Back from the Dead
by Duminuss. When that character is freed, she handles the job of observing the construction the second Time Flow Engine by Raji and Mizuho in Reversal
Her personality, however, ends up giving her a good tweak in Original Generation
: Despinis is the only homunculi spared, unlike her siblings who are consumed against their will by Duminuss, then destroyed by Dark Brain. The Gureden siblings adopt her into their family, though this doesn't fix her shyness
Despinis is seen with her mecha Ereos in combat, but at the end of Original Generation Gaiden, she destroys it to let go of the past. Despinis returns in the Second Original Generation as a sub-pilot of the Excellence Rescue, along with Fiona
. Tropes associated with Despinis include:
Laliar (Voiced by Ryoko Nagata)
The only male homunculus, Laliar serves as the middle ground between Tis and Despinis. He contacts the Neo Zeon
and takes a more active stance in combat. In Original Generation Gaiden
, Laliar rarely heads to the battlefield and seemingly gets shafted to the sidelines
In the instances he goes into battle, he uses the machine Hypocrisis. Tropes associated with Laliar: