Video Game: Super Robot Wars Reversal
Super Robot Wars Reversal
is a video game for the Game Boy Advance
and is part of the Super Robot Wars
franchise. Released in 2002, it's the second game for the handheld system, preceded by Super Robot Wars Advance
. Like the latter, it's also ported onto mobile phones as part of the Super Robot Wars
Series list (Bold indicates debuting entries):
This is the second SRW with a focus on Time Travel
, the first being Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden
. Depending on the player's choice, the game revolves around either Raul Gureden or Fiona Gureden, pilot of the prototype rescue unit "Excellence", alongside co-workers Raji Montoya and Mizuho Saiki. Equipped with the "Time Flow Engine" into the Excellence, the three ally with the Nadesico B
or the Ra Cailum
, hoping to promote their machine for funding towards further development. However, a mysterious being named Duminuss wishes to use the Engine for its own purposes. Things take a turn for the worse when Raul/Fiona are accidentally sent to the past during a scuffle with Duminuss, where they have to make a decision to let history flow as it is or attempt to correct the events leading to the present, in order for a better future.
Tropes pertaining to Super Robot Wars Reversal
- Back from the Dead
- Chest Blaster: Mazinger Z's "Breast Fire", Great Mazinger's "Breast Burn", Shin Getter Robo's "Getter Beam"
- Combination Attack
- Combining Mecha: Neo Getter Robo, Shin Getter, Combattler V, Voltes V, Gundam Double X with G-Falcon
- Degraded Boss: The Devil Gundam and its 3 forms and the Grand Master Gundam
- Doing It for the Art: Late in Reversal the Nadesico crew will upgrade to their Prince Of Darkness mecha. As Gai Daigouji doesn't appear in The Movie, he is given a "Super Aestivalis" with his TV series Aestivalis' monoeye head.
- Evil Knockoffs: Mass-produced Great Mazingers, fake Combattler Vs and Devil Aestivalises
- Fix Fic: Reversal prevents the Downer Endings of some shows, the fictional downers of events that are supposed to come to a good end, and averting the drop of Axis, the Downer Ending of Zambot 3 and the Prince of Darkness plot.
- Giant Robot Hands Save Lives: Implied in one scenario where Killer the Butcher decides to recreate Galileo's famous gravity experiment using Relena Darlian and an Earth Federation soldier as the dropped objects. No points for guessing which Stoic Badass Hitman with a Heart comes sweeping in to save them.
- Gratuitous English: Courtesy of Jack and Mary King, no less
- Guns Akimbo: Texas Mack
- Magikarp Power: In SRW, there are only two ways to recover energy - the typical method via an allied unit with the "resupply" unit ability or returning to a battleship to recharge. However, near the end of Reversal, if Gear Fighters Dendoh or Ogre defeat the final enemy of their series three times in a row, it will unlock a new form for both machines which completely recharges their energy every turn. Additionally, gettiing this final form grants Dendoh a new, powerful attack in its base form that can be used for a pittance compared to its other finishers.
- Post Script Season: For G Gundam, as the Gundam Fight has already ended and Master Asia is dead.
- Put on a Bus: Akatsuki Nagare and the Seven Mycene Generals are not present in Reversal
- Redemption Demotion: It's possible to recruit Ogre to the party and this trope is played straight via its stats. However, during a route split, if the player chooses to fight the Brainwashed and Crazy Hokuto using the Ogre, post-battle he returns to the party, yet the Ogre has the same stats it had before as an enemy unit, thereby averting this.
- Robeast: Slave Beasts, Mechasauruses, Mecha Boosts, Beast Fighters and Warrior Beasts.
- Rocket Punch: Mazinger Z's "Rocket Punch", Neo Getter-1's "Chain Knuckle", Zambot 3's "Arm Punch" and Great Mazinger's "Atomic Punch" and "Drill Pressure Punch"
- Rule 63: Variation; Raul and Fiona are essentially the Spear Counterpart and Distaff Counterpart of the same person for Reversal. When they are included in Super Robot Wars Original Generations, they're brought in as Half-Identical Twins.
- Screw Destiny: What happens in the finale of Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz and Zambot 3. Raul/Fiona suffer a Heroic BSOD and are not involved when the Mariemaia Rebellion is underway (in Raul's case, he is, though half-heartedly). However, when Killer the Butcher appears, Raul/Fiona decide enough's enough and take destiny in his/her own hands.
- Screw Yourself: There's plenty of Raul/Fiona imagery from SRW fans. Naturally, this goes to Twincest levels in Original Generation.
- Sequential Boss: Duminuss, Dangel in Scenario 13 of the Nadesico Route and Ankoku Daishogun in Scenario 24
- Sphere of Destruction: The unlockable "Stoner Sunshine" attack for the Shin Getter
- Spiritual Successor: A loose example - Reversal and Alpha Gaiden uses Time Travel as a Plot Point, but the former sends the protagonist to the past and the latter takes them to a Bad Future.
- Super Mode: Shining Gundam's "Super Mode", God Gundam's "Meikyou Shisui", Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger's "Mazin Power", Neo Getter Robo-2's "Neo Getter Vision", Shin Getter Robo's "God Getter Mode" and the Wing Gundam Zero Custom's "Zero System"
- Swiss Army Weapon, Mecha Expansion Pack: The Excellence has the ability to change into a variety of frames suited for different forms of combat and terrain. They include "Cosmodiver" (space), "Striker" (melee), "Gunner" (long-range), "Flyer" (air) and "Diver" (water). The final frame, depending on the chosen protagonist, is the "Lightning" (Raul) and "Eternal" (Fiona). The Aestivalis also have ground assault, aerial, artillery,and space combat frames.
- This Is a Drill: Neo Getter-2 and Shin Getter-2
- The Unfought: Yami No Teiou
- Time Travel
- Wave Motion BFGs" Gundam X and Gundam Double X's Satellite Cannon, Zambot 3's "Ion Cannon" and Wing Gundam Zero Custom's "Twin Buster Rifle"
- Villain Team-Up: Duminuss works with the Galfa, Gaizok and the Frost Brothers