open/close all folders
Voiced by: Ryoichi Tanaka (original series & Devilman Lady), Show Hayami (The Birth, The Demon Bird and CB Chara Nagai Go World OAV's), Tomokazu Seki (Shin Cutey Honey), Shinji Takeda (Amon: The Apocalypse of Devilman), Shintaro Asanuma (Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman), Bryce Papenbrook (Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman - English dub)
- Accidental Pervert: In the second OVA, Akira wakes up from a particularly bad dream. It ended with the image of Miki impaled on a demon's teeth. While Miki checks to see if Akira's alright, Akira bats Miki's nightgown upwards to make sure she's fine. After a bop on the nose and some talk, Akira, demon infused jackass that he is, more or less negs Miki and makes fun of her panties.
- Alas, Poor Yorick: After Miki is dismembered and Akira kills everyone involved, he hugs her head to his chest and sobs in an incredibly tear-jerking scene.
- Back from the Dead: Akira is reborn in the second to last chapter of Devilman Lady, resurrected from the fetus created by Satan's halves.
- Badass Biker: Akira in the anime series, taking account the Lighter and Softer adaptation couldn't have Akira dismembering and mauling demons in a gruesome manner to cement his badass status, they just gave him a nice bike to ride in between the fights.
- Came Back Wrong: A softer version: Akira is a VERY shy and gentle boy when he starts the manga, but once he gets Amon's powers and becomes Devilman, he becomes WAY more callous and cocky, to the point some people are actually jarred by the change.
- Classical Anti-Hero: Before merging with Amon.
- Declaration of Protection: Towards Jun Fudou in Devilman Lady.
- Decoy Protagonist: In the AMON manga, he only stars for about half the first volume and later only appears during flashbacks, his body is completely taken over by Amon who stars the series from start to finish, but with a slight twist that in this version he isn't that different from Akira's Devilman persona itself.
- Expy: Of Ryo Utsugi, the protagonist of Mao Dante.
- Fragile Flower: According to Miki, Akira used to cry so much that his nickname was "The Fire Alarm of Higashi Elementary".
- Guyliner: Side effects from merging with Amon.
- Hot Blooded Sideburns: Though he did not fit the trope until after becoming a devilman.
- Last of His Kind: By the time he dies, Akira is the last human in existence.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: A downplayed example, but he was originally the feminine boy to Miki's masculine girl. Fusing with Amon decidedly changed this.
- Nice Guy: Akira keeps his kind heart even after being possessed by Amon.
- No Place for Me There: He chooses to reside in Hell after the events of Devilman and not Heaven. Hell might be a terrible Social Darwinist prison of pointless torture, but he sees Heaven as a prison basked in light filled with obedient slaves of God and that such a place lacks the justice he sought.
- Parental Abandonment: Akira lives with the Makimura family full-time. In some versions of the story, his family perished in a incident.
- Shrinking Violet: Akira was originally very timid and non-confrontational before becoming devilman.
- School Uniforms Are the New Black: Rarely seen out of it.
- Took a Level in Badass: After merging with Amon.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Though at the same he also becomes less nice and more aggressive. Unfortunately he takes an even bigger level in jerkass after Miki is murdered, as seen in the spin-offs.
- Why Can't I Hate You?: Played with. Despite hating that Ryo took so much from him and caused him so much pain, he reveals in Devilman Lady he still cares about Ryo.
- Neo Devilman reveals that he did hate Ryo/Satan for wiping humankind and killing his friends and adoptive family; but after he died and saw Ryo's crying face, Akira realized that there was some good on him after all.
- Anti-Hero: Stars out as a Type 4, but becomes a type 5 after the death of Miki.
- Blood Knight
- Combo Platter Powers: Lovecraftian Superpower
- Flight: Devilman can spontaneously grow wings to fly with.
- Healing Factor: Able to re-attach his arm and heal many grave wounds.
- Intangible Man: Devilman can phase through solid objects. Being able to pass through steel is a high end demon power.
- Playing with Fire: "Devil Beam" which, in the manga, is more like heat generation. Both versions are a Hand Blast.
- Pure Energy: "Devil Arrow" fired from his antennae.
- Powers via Possession: How Akira got his powers, but in an interesting way.
- Psychic Powers: Telepathy, Psychic Radar (limited to violence). Both of these powers are rather weak in him, as he's more action oriented.
- Shapeshifting: Limited to his Devilman and human forms, though versions in between are also common. Devilman is also a Size Shifter; his full height is somewhere along the lines of 3-5 meters in height.
- Super Strength: Tearing apart demons with his bare hands.
- Super Toughness: Devilman can survive injuries that would kill a normal human ten times over. Except getting split in half at the torso...
- Teleportation: This is how demons possess other beings and things, by effectively telefragging into them.
- Demonic Possession: Inverted in the manga, where Devilman is essentially the result of a human possessing a demon, but played straight in the anime, where Amon's possession of Akira killed his original personality.
- Full-Frontal Assault: In the original manga Akira does not wear any clothing while in his Devilman form, as his transformations destroy his clothing.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Horrifying Hero: Anyone who sees him is instantly horrified.
- One-Man Army
- Super-Powered Evil Side
- Shapeshifting Excludes Clothing: In most adaptations Akira is completely naked when he returns to his human form, as his transformation into Devilman destroys his clothing.
- Walking Shirtless Scene
Voiced by: Yuu Mizushima (The Birth, The Demon Bird and CB Chara Nagai Go World OAV's), Tomokazu Seki (Amon: The Apocalypse of Devilman), Satoshi Hino (Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman), Christopher Corey Smith (Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman - English dub)Akira's best friend, who is the one responsible for him becoming Devilman. He's very loose on morals and believes in extreme mothods in order to wipe the demons. Ryo is also very possessive and territorial towards Akira and dismissive of everyone else.
- Adaptational Attractiveness: He's not particularly Bishounen in the original manga (before transforming into Satan, at least), but becomes more so in the OVAs. AMON turns his prettiness Up to Eleven, especially in Satan form.
- In the original manga Akira's conversation with another devilman after meeting Ryo after Ryo's betrayal implies that Ryo was really attractive even in his human form.
- Adapted Out: Ryo was left out of the original anime, though the developers later stated that they would have liked to have included him at some point. He was in the OVAs, playing the same role he did in the manga, but was left out of Devilman Grimoire. The character Himura, who appears in both the anime and Grimoire, resembles him, however.
- Badass Longcoat: And it's pretty damn well animated in the OVAs.
- Berserk Button: Don't hurt Akira in front of him. Hell, in his introductory scene, he pulls a rifle at the Dosu Roku gang who were picking on Akira!
- Big Bad Friend: To Akira.
- But Not Too Foreign: Ryo has a Japanese father and a white mother.
- Characterization Marches On: At first, he's shown to be very loose on morals and very violent and sadistic, but mellows out in later volumes. Fridge Logic if you consider that Ryo is an amnesiac Satan, so he lacked in human morals, social skills and common sense during the first volume.
- Expanded upon on other mangas/side stories. Ryo is shown to be shy when he was young in Devilman Saga and towards Tiana in Shin Devilman. It is also revealed that Ryo can't bring himself kill animals even to survive in the wilderness.
- Devilman Saga reveals that Yuuki (that universe's version of Akira) and Ryo got along well because they both are pacifists and that the reason Ryo seeks power despite hating war is to maintain peace.
- Coincidence Magnet: Ryo is terrified that all of the cynical predictions he makes keep coming true. It turns out that none of these are coincidences. These predictions are likely just fragments of Satan's commands to his demon army.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: He does NOT like the idea of Miki hanging around Akira and treats her with contempt. The AMON manga takes it Up to Eleven, showing the reason why Ryo/Satan choose to broadcast the video about the devilmen and betraying Akira in the process: he realized that Miki was more important at Akira's life than him. When Dosu-Roku finds out, he calls Satan for this, saying that he basically doomed the humankind for a Disproportionate Retribution.The only one who saves Akira will be me...and me alone!
- Creepy Good: But not for long.
- Despair Event Horizon: Ryo gradually goes from viewing Akira as the savior of humankind to viewing the fight against the demons to be a pointless and futile one.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: See Adaptational Attractiveness above, but as shown after he transforms into Satan, Ryo has very androgynous features and becomes more so in later adaptations. Also, in Devilman Saga, he was bullied as a child for his girly features.
- Flanderization: He was perfectly capable of strategizing and even being a dead serious, outright scary person in the original story, but some adaptations tend to focus almost entirely on his one-sided Mad Love for Akira.
- The Heavy: Albeit not a villainous example; Ryo is the entire reason that Akira became Devilman in the manga. Ryo's true self turns out to be a more traditional heavy as well.
- He-Man Woman Hater
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Ryo's relationship with Akira is very emotionally intense, particularly in the first volume in the manga. The heterosexual part is ultimately subverted, at least on Ryo's side.
- Hollywood Genetics: It's very unlikely for a half-Japanese person to have natural blonde hair and blue eyes. While one might think this is due to actually being Satan, the original Ryo Asuka also had this coloring.
- Incompatible Orientation: He has feelings for Akira and is violently protective of him. Except Akira's straight (and has Miki as his love interest). Not that Ryo cares. He finally gets to confess his feelings for him (actually Yuuki Fudou, Akira's current incarnation) in Devilman Saga. Goes as well as expected. Zigzagged in Devilman Lady, where Akira does have a relationship with the female Jun Fudou, one of Satan's halves and a split part of Ryou himself.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: Sequels and spinoffs not only don't hide his plotting nature and obsession with Akira, they greatly exaggerate it.
- Mixed Ancestry: Half-white, half-Japanese.
- Muggle Best Friend: Ryo intended for both himself and Akira to be possessed by demons, but somehow escaped this fate. Later in the series this makes him feel helpless and he starts to look for a method to become a devilman himself.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: In the AMON manga, Ryo wants to be Akira's most important person so badly that he's willing to kill Miki just so she can't. He plans this in Go Nagai Chara World as well, but the situation never plays out like he wants.
- Parental Abandonment: His mother died with he was a child, and his father died shortly before the beginning of the manga.
- Phenotype Stereotype: He's part white, so of course he's blond and blue-eyed.
Voiced by: Sumi Sakamoto (original series), Jun Konomaki (The Birth, The Demon Bird and CB Chara Nagai Go World OAV's), Atsuko Enomoto (Amon: The Apocalypse of Devilman), Saori Hayami (Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman), Cristina Valenzuela (Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman - English dub)
- Action Girl: Only in the original manga, where she borders on being a Sukeban. She's downgraded to more of a neutral female. In contrast Miko becomes a bit of a demon hunter in the third OVA and is something of a right-hand-lady to Akira.
- Miki is also this in Devilman Grimoire, where she is shown punching out Himura after he and Dosu Roku's gang accost her and Akira. Afterwards she brags about it while having dinner with Akira and her family. And now, after 40 years, Miki has finally become a Devilman herself.
- Alliterative Name
- All Girls Want Bad Boys / Women Prefer Strong Men: Miki takes a greater liking to Akira when he becomes a buffed-up badass.
- Chickification: Miki in just about everywhere else outside the original manga, the first OVAs and Devilman Grimoire, originally she pushed Akira into becoming more active and insisting that he fought back against people who bullied him, eventually she liked Akira even more when he became more aggressive in his Devilman days; other adaptations, like the Anime and the final OVA, likes to portray Miki in a more pure light, she is not shown to be amused by Akira being aggressive and certainly does not encourage him to fight anyone; even in AMON where she retains her original personality, the aggressive part is still gone.
- Cute Witch: Miki in Grimoire likes to wear a pointed witch's hat and a dark cape to evoke this image.
- Ethical Slut: Alongside her implied Sukeban status, she calls her own obsession with post Badass level up Akira as being a "massive slut" in the second OVA.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: even though she's sometimes mean to her younger brother, Tare, and is verbally abusive towards the delinquent characters, she cares deeply for her loved ones and shows concern for them.
- Kill It with Fire: Miki uses home-made Molotov cocktails to attack the people who break into her house late in the manga.
- Knife Nut: Miki carries a knife with her during her second confrontation with Dosu-Roku's gang.
- Love Interest: To Akira.
- No Guy Wants an Amazon: In the manga, she seems somewhat ashamed to have Akira witness her aggressive side, probably due to believing that he wouldn't be interested in a tough woman.
- Plucky Girl: To the point that you can play as her in the NES game, and even have to defeat a mini-boss while using her. The only way to stop her when she has a goal in her mind would be killing her. Sadly, that's exactly what happens in the manga. Which makes her horrendous death by stabbing and dismembering even more tear jerking
- Spared by the Adaptation: She only survives in the 70s anime series and Devilman Grimoire. Ironically, those are the only adaptations when Ryo/Satan doesn't exist.
- She's Got Legs: In the Apocalypse OVA, she's wearing a miniskirt that shows off her legs rather nicely. Unfortunately, the best example of this particular trope is during her murder.
- Sukeban: It's implied she's one in the manga.
- Brainless Beauty: She transformed herself into a cute but very stupid girl. And she is really aware of this.
- Canon Foreigner: She appaear only in the '70 series.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: She lacks intimidating abilities and is too stupid to be considered a threat to anyone.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Really 700 Years Old: She is regarded as cute in appearance but is actually quite old.
- Villainous Crush: She is in love with Devilman and believes that his attemps to avoid her are because he is too shy reveal his (nonexistant) romantic feelings for her.
- Kill It with Water: Can puppet his drowning victims after they've swallowed his spirit. Thankfully he never goes so far as to merge with his prey.
Voiced by: Haruko Kitahama (original series), Yoshiko Sakakibara (The Demon Bird and CB Chara Nagai Go World OAV's)
- Dark Action Girl
- Heel Realization: In Devilman Lady, where she realizes her actions concerning Akira and Amon was a self-destructive Lust and that she had been causing Kaim pain because of her actions.
- Loves My Alter Ego: Sirene loved Amon that resides in Akira; she also shows some interest in Akira's more agressive personality as Devilman, which resembles a Lighter and Softer Amon. In Neo-Devilman she becomes more interested in Akira himself, not for his demon heritage but for his devilmen determination.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy
- Starter Villain: The villain of the first arc of the manga, and tends to be the first or second antagonist in most adaptations.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it Sirene, Siren or Selene?
- Taken for Granite: Begs Medusa in Devilman Lady to turn her to stone as atonement for letting her obsession and causing Kaim to suffer.
- You Sexy Beast/ Ugly Cute: Akira claims that logically, he should be horrified by the sight of Sirene. However, Akira seems to appreciate the beauty of Sirene's death smile. Maybe that's his devil side talking.
- Woman in White: Um, sort of.
Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka (The Demon Bird and CB Chara Nagai Go World OAV's)
- A Good Way to Die: He's willing to sacrifice himself if it'll let his love interest Sirene take Devilman down with her.
- Declaration of Protection: Dedicates the rest of his life in Hell during Devilman Lady to protect the petrified Sirene.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He sacrifices his body & life to his beloved Silen so she can have the honor of killing Devilman.
- Noble Demon: More than willing to tear off his own head and offer to merge with the dying Siren for one last desperation attack against Devilman.
- Wife Husbandry : If Kaim's love for Sirene is romantic, then this applied, because he essentially raised her after her mother died giving birth to her.
Voiced by: Takeshi Aono (The Demon Bird and CB Chara Nagai Go World OAV's), Hochu Otsuka (Cyborg 009 vs Devilman), Jamieson Price (Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman - English dub)
- Adaptational Heroism: Surprisingly, he's one of the good guys in CB Chara Go Nagai World.
- And I Must Scream: Anyone who falls victim to him are damned to an eternity as a sentient tile in his shell.
- Expy: An almost identical demon appears in Strange Days; the only evidence that it's not Jinmen himself is that he gets killed and that Jinmen was long dead at this point.
- Evil Gloating
- Fate Worse Than Death: Devilman Lady reveals that all those he eats are dragged into hell with him when he dies.
- Insane Troll Logic: He claims to have the moral high ground against Devilman because he keeps his victims alive even after he's consumed them.
- This Was His True Form: His original form is a normal sized turtle.
- Turtle Power
- Would Hurt a Child: Consumed Sacchan.
Voiced by:' Reiko Muto (Original Series), Yuji Mitsuya (CB Chara Nagai Go World), Mitsuki Saiga (Amon: The Apocalypse of Devilman)
- Cross-Dressing Voices: Is voiced by Yuji Mitsuya in CB Chara Nagai Go World.
- The Dragon: Along with Lord Zenon.
- Enigmatic Minion: Played with in that Psychogenie clearly knows more about the innerworkings of the Devilman universe than her master (including the fact that they are trapped in a neverending time loop by God), but never openly defies Satan at any point.
- Exotic Eye Designs
- Hypnotic Eyes
- Monstrous Humanoid: Usually is depicted as a nude female with her head in the middle of her torso. Sometimes she's shown with her limbs coming directly out of her head.
- Psychic Powers: Powerful enough to hypnotize Satan himself.
- The Quiet One: Very rarely speaks unless spoken to.
Voiced by: Hidekatsu Shibata (Original Series), Shozo Iizuka ( CB Chara Nagai Go World)
- The Dragon: Along with Psycho Jenny. When Satan is not around, he serves as the Dragon-in-Chief.
- Satan: Well, he is not Satan, but his two forms resemble two depictions of Satan The Divine Comedy Version (being a demon with 3 faces) and The Dragon of Revelation.
- Servile Snarker: Zenon's loyalty to Satan and his goals is never in question, but this did not stop him for criticizing Satan for sacrificing Amon and other powerful demons so that Akira could become Devilman.
SatanThe real identity of Ryo Asuka. Actually an angel, but allied with the demons. His main goal is the obliteration of humankind so that demons can regain control of the earth.
- Anti-Villain: All Satan wishes is to free demonkind, let them retake their rightful place on earth, and stop God from condemning them.
- Big Bad
- Cosmic Plaything: God regularly destroys and recreates the universe for the sole purpose of tormenting Satan by having him relive the loss of Akira forever and ever.
- Heel Realization: At the very end of the manga, he realizes that his wiping out humanity was just as bad as God wiping out the demons. AMON implies that he came to the realization earlier on, not that it changed anything.
- Hermaphrodite: In his/her true form.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Forgets his true nature as Satan several times, but eventually remembers it.
- Light Is Not Good
- Literal Split Personality: One of the final twists in Devilman Lady, where he split into the heroine Jun Fudou and the gender changing Lan Asuka.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Although Amon revealed God has set the situation up to ensure Satan goes mad from love no matter what.
- Otherworldly and Sexually Ambiguous: Satan and all the other angels are shown to be Hermaphrodites.
- Screw Yourself: Satan does this via Jun Fudou and Lan Asuka in Devilman Lady, allowing Akira to be reborn in the process.
- Split-Personality Merge: Jun and Asuka at the end of Devilman Lady.
- Time Travel: Uses it in Shin Devilman during the time where he had forgotten his name Satan. He traveled with Akira to kill demons in the past who were attempting to change the future.