Uber Quest is a web-comic that takes place in a realm known as Evyr, a world ruled by magic with a strange past. Inhabited by various races with extraordinary powers and many fantastical creatures and devices. The story follows Sesame, a young warrior who embarks on a quest for answers after her village is raided and her father killed by a mysterious group - looking for powerful artifacts known as 'ubers'.
Sesame runs into various other adventurers along the way: Kibella (also known as "Kibbles"), a kindly mage in training, Farron, a shady merchant and Con-Man, Mason, a weary-yet-sheltered blacksmith, Kylar, a knight and high-ranking veteran, and (strangely enough) Claire, a scientist from seemingly, the future that joined their group through odd circumstances
They join together in a tentative allegiance, unknowing that the questions they ask will have dire consequences.During their adventures, many factions and Kingdoms are at play, all vying for power.
Prince Drayven is the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Alder, the most powerful nation on Evyr, is trying hard to reign in his ever maddening father King Alphonse. A powerful necromancer, Valmont offers up a deal to help him take back the Kingdom and reign in the chaos, for a price.
An uprising known as the Severance is lead by a rogue sky-pirate and her motley entourage, trying to dismantle Alder's iron grip on the realm.
Meanwhile, a covert group known as Zysa are lead by the enigmatic Omni, seed their own plans.
Sesame's group finds themselves in the midst of the crossfire, unveiling coverups, political intrigue, and the origin of the ubers. All the while Sesame is plagued by ever increasingly cryptic and bizarre lucid dreams.
As tensions rise and they lay on the precipice of a world-war, everyone is in an arms-race to obtain control of the artifacts known as ubers. Whose power not only empowers the strength and abilities of its wielder but supposedly even has the capability to shape and make worlds.
It can be found here.
Uber Quest provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Sesame. She is of the warrior class, of course.
- A-Cup Angst: Sesame is teased by Claire for her relative lack of boobs.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Kylar's treat him like a kid regardless of other company, at least where his health is concerned.
- Ambiguous Gender: The way Sesame is drawn she doesn't look very masculine, maybe a little flat compared to Kibbles, but the barkeep in the first comic mistakes her for a guy nonetheless. She is NOT amused. Valmont is also an example of this as they choose to express themselves as not specifically one or the other gender.
- Armoured Closet Gay : Kylar around other soldiers in the bar and his squadron. Worse still,it was all in front of his boyfriend.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Mason has had enough of your crap.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Valmont acts theatrically over the top, but is a powerful necromancer.
- Big Freaking Sword: Sesame's Weapon of Choice.
- Big Beautiful Woman: Kibbles is a full-figured lady.
- Break the Cutie: This strip. Sure, Kibbles probably didn't mean to, but it still had this effect, which comes to full expression in the very next strip. (At least Claire can turn on the waterworks and still look cute.)
- Bury Your Gays: It's been stated that you can be publicly executed simply for being gay in this universe. That goes for anyone, even high-ranking military officials. It's the main reason why Kylar and Joel keep their relationship a secret from everyone.
- Court Mage: Valmont for the Alder Royal family until he got fired, presumably for messing with dark magic.
- Cool Big Sis: Soya to Sesame, when Sesame is venting about not being able to train with her.
- Cunning Like a Fox: Claire and Gordon fall into this category, both being fennec-fox fear and being of genius intellect.
- The Cynic: Farron the merchant falls into this category, he thinks Sesame is foolish for helping him.
- Ditzy Genius: Claire mostly. Though she is brilliant enough to invent a teleporting Time Machine, she acts like an idiot most other times.
- Eternal Sexual Freedom: Averted. The kingdom of Alder is conservative enough that Kylar has to keep his homosexual relationship secret, and his parents set up an arranged marriage for him. Meanwhile, Claire, being from the year 3031, is rather flirty, if not outright lewd, toward both genders.
- Eyepatch of Power: Effectively Farron has monocular vision.
- Extreme Omnivore: Farron isn't a picky eater; even bugs aren't off-limits.
- Fangirl: Kibbles thinks Sesame is SO cool! So much so she'd follow her into battle unwittingly try to befriend her despite being shrugged off at first.
- Fanservice: For Christmas, 2014, we get a page with both male and female characters wearing skimpy holiday-themed outfits. They display different levels of enthusiasm for this.
- Fantasy Contraception: This ask blog entry reveals that there's male contraceptive potions, fortunately for Claire, Farron uses them.
- Fantasy Gun Control: Averted. Claire buys a flintlock pistol from Farron.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Claire is from a sci-fi setting, she and her Robot Buddy Proto accidentally Teleport to a fantasy world.
- Flaming Sword: Mason enchances Sesame's BFS with a Arcane Fire Enhancement
- Gag Boobs: Kibbles.
- Gentle Giant: Mason. Biggest character in the cast thus far, and possibly has the biggest heart to compliment it.
- Gentleman and a Scholar: Drayven, who is not only quite socially capable with many fangirls, but quite intelligent as well.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Sesame. When Claire appeared, enabling Dante to escape in the confusion, her reaction was to punt her transport pod and Proto halfway across the kingdom. Though once the situation was explained she was deeply ashamed of herself.
- Hates Being Touched: It doesn't matter if you're a boy or a fellow girl, Sesame has ZERO tolerance for people who touch her inappropriately. It's very understandable, seeing that she was the victim of a rape attempt when she was a teenager.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Farron seems to be rough around the edges, but when he encounters an orphan Dahaki girl named Raziel his true colors show.
- The Idealist: Kibbles thinks everyone is going to be great friends, obviously ignoring Claire's and Sesame's bickering.
- Inept Mage: Kibbles is first introduced accidentally incinerating a guy she was trying to demonstrate a healing spell for, and now, after being accused for murder, must head to Northon to stand trial before the royal court (That said, she is not entirely convinced it was her fault, as she does not normally mess up that spell. And it's turned out she was framed.)
- Intrepid Merchant: Farron is a always on the move looking for new places to set up shop and lives life mostly as a vagabond.
- Kill It with Ice: When Sesame's sword proves ineffective against the King Slime Kibbles freezes it so she can shatter it.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Claire gives Sesame a condescending lecture on personality, and how much smarter she (Claire) is by comparison, before immediately tripping over a rock and faceplanting.
- MacGuffin: The Uber, which appears to be a tattered red scarf but has protect Sesame from danger and a town was destroyed by a group seeking it.
- It seems that another Uber, a creepy eyeball, has attached itself to Sesame's hand.
- Marshmallow Hell: Sesame tosses Claire through the air into the back of a carriage, where she smacks face first between Kibbles' above mentioned Gag Boobs.
- Monster Is a Mommy: The two-headed bird creature that attacked Sesame. After Sesame's scarf Uber kills the creature, it's revealed that she was guarding a nest full of eggs that she laid. Which the main cast then cooks and eats for breakfast.
- Most Common Superpower: Pretty much every female character but Sesame, who has fairly normal sized breasts.
- Nice Guy: Mason, 'nuff said. Lampshaded in one strip
- Officer and a Gentleman: Kylar prides himself on being a model knight.
- Perky Goth: Effectively Valmont, due to his profession as a necromancer and dealings with the macabe, is generally a rather energetic and idealistic character.
- Pinocchio Syndrome: Proto is hoping that one day Claire will one day give him "the ultimate upgrade."
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Sesame in most situations is incredibly strong for her size.Valmont and Winsley may also fit the bill, being powerful mages in their own right while being much shorter than average. In Winsley's case, a dwarf.
- This is also mentioned in her backstory, suggesting plot relevance.
- Ragin' Cajun: Dante effectively is the cliche badass with a cool Cajun accent.
- The Rival: Dante to Sesame. Her first appearance is to Kill Steal the King Slime and claim the loot drop.
- Robot Kid: Proto falls into this category, complete with his own allowance from Claire!
- Royally Screwed Up: Alder Royal family seems to be incredibly dysfunctional, complete with a paranoid-power-hungry King Alphonse.
- RPG-Mechanics Verse: Specifically, MMO, complete with adventurers running into taverns yelling "LFG".
- Scarf of Asskicking: Sesame wears one.
- Sextra Credit: Garrett with Thana, with Thana being his superior and Garrett her boy-toy.
- Sissy Villain: Valmont. In his various canon and non-canon appearances, he appears campy and androgynous.
- Snake Oil Salesman: Farron's Fair Deals and Extraordinary Traveling Shop is mostly full of faulty items that don't work as intended. Unless you are willing to pay a high price of course. Like a health potion that he claims was "slow-release" after Sesame drinks it and nothing happens.
- Sociopathic Soldier: Of the Broken Soldier variety, because of a Broken Pedestal. Sam Jeston, a soldier within Kylar's military ranks, witnesses deep intimacy between Kylar and Joel, the scribe of King Alphonse's court, who are both males. Unfortunately, this eavesdropping brings Sam to rebel and be insubordinate to Kylar. When Kylar snaps at him, he starts to lose his grip on his confidence, and later stops the group of main characters in their caravan as a show of force. When Kylar shows that he knows Sesame, this causes him to snap, somewhat, and draw a dagger, forcing the carriage group to a vehicle search. Kylar doesn't take it well, which only further agitates Sam.
- Stomachof Holding: Scrab, a void mimic whose appetite is even more voracious and strange than that of his owner, Farron.
- Super OCD: Kylar, in his first appearance he gets agitated by his boyfriend placing his breakfast tray out of alignment with the fruit bowl.
- Super Speed: Kylar here.
- Super Strength: Sesame appears to have developed this as a child.
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky: Drayven, who chastises his bodyguard Charles when scoring some 'supposed' tail rather easily.
- Techno Babble: Claire loves to tell you things you can't understand, most just tune it out.
- Through a Face Full of Fur: Sesame blushes while flirting with Mason, for example.
- The Unfavorite: Drayven to King Alphonse, his father. The two have a very turbulent relationship.
- Transgendered: Valmont identifies as non-binary, with he/she/they pronouns. Most of Valmont's disguises using illusion magic tend to be female however.
- You All Meet in an Inn: Sesame and Kibbles meet in an inn all right, but Sesame isn't interested in having her tag along at that point.