The game was revealed on May 3, 2017 with a teaser trailer, and a gameplay trailer was released on March 7, 2019. It has also been promoted with an Alternate Reality Game named Carcosa ARG; you can watch its summary here. The entire game is set to be released in Q4 2020.
This game provides examples of:
- Black Comedy: In the reveal trailer, some SWAT officers investigate an absolutely horrific, Gorn-filled massacre in a nightclub... which is named "The Anal Staircase", in bold neon lettering.
- Booby Trap: The gameplay trailer shows the old favorite of a grenade attached to a wall and triggered by a tripwire in front of a door.
- Concealment = Cover: Averted. The gameplay trailer promises that bullets can penetrate various obstacles, with the game's engine factoring in the obstacle's material and thickness as well as the bullet's speed.
- Concussion Frags: Averted. The gameplay trailer sees the player treat the concussion grenades the way they are supposed to be used; first slightly opening a door, then tossing one inside, and only then going in to point a rifle at a stunned criminal clutching his ears and easily getting him to drop his gun.
- Crapsack World: Crime and the social class system in the US has grown as cancerous as ever, leaving plenty for the players to clean up. The voiceover in the gameplay trailer describes the setting as "a unique, detailed and twisted facsimile of a modern United States. Ready or Not's vision of America is downtrodden, cruel and corrupt."
- Gorn: The devs have promised to make the body damage system as disgustingly realistic as possible. It shows in some glimpses of the reveal trailer.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Gameplay trailer shows that as expected, riot shields are very much an option for SWAT operatives to shield themselves and fellow operatives from the bullets.
- Shoot Out the Lock: The gameplay trailer shows that this can be done, but only with a breaching shotgun.
- Spiritual Successor: To the S.W.A.T. series, mainly SWAT 4. The creator of SWAT 4's Elite Force mod, eezstreet, even joined VOID Interactive to help with development.