Planet Explorers, by Pathea Games, is a sci-fi voxel-based Survival Sandbox game with RPG elements, featuring a lengthy storyline and a procedurally generated adventure mode. The game allows players to create custom vehicles, weapons, tools and static objects and use them in-game, and a recent update has added a fully-functional world editor. Online multiplayer is also available.
After a Kickstarter campaign and over two years in Early Access, Planet Explorers has been officially released on November 8, 2016.
The game is set on the planet Maria, an earth-like planet in the Epsilon Indi system. In Story Mode, the player takes the role of a stranded colonist who has been thrown in at the deep end when their starship was struck by a mysterious object, forcing the crew to abandon ship and make a rather "dramatic" landing in the escape shuttles. A rich storyline then unfolds, featuring political intrigue, conflict between the people of Earth and Mars, and more conflict with Maria's aggressive sentient natives.
This game provides examples of:
- 24-Hour Armor: Players can wear armour constantly, even while sleeping on a wooden bed out in the cold, mining deep underground or trekking through the blazing-hot desert. It lowers your maximum comfort stat, though.
- Action Girl: If the player character is female, she'll almost certainly be one. Female NPCs are all capable of fighting, too.
- Character Customization: Players can design their own avatars, in a wide variety of colours.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Maria is home to a lot of predators. It's almost impossible to travel far without being attacked.
- Extra Eyes: Almost all of Maria's fauna have more than two eyes.
- Fetch Quest: Players can are often given quests to gather resources.
- Global Currency: Meat in Story Mode, and credits in Adventure Mode.
- Green Hill Zone: The plains biome.
- Grid Inventory
- Hair-Raising Hare: Lepus Marihares. They are the weakest predators on Maria, but still fierce enough to pose a challenge.
- Hammerspace: A player's inventory has room for hundreds of items, and could concievably hold an entire fleet of flat-packed airships, ready to be deployed at a moment's notice.
- Healing Potion: The herbal juice items fill this niche.
- Hollywood Darkness: Averted. At night, it gets too dark to do anything without a source of light.
- Magic Tool: The Replicator. It is able to craft a huge variety of items, and anything it can't craft can be made with the Industrial Replicator.
- Oxygen Meter: The player needs to breathe. If they spend too long underwater, they will begin to lose HP.
- Purely Aesthetic Gender: NPCs and players alike have the same stats, regardless of their sex.
- A caveat: the game has separate men's and women's armour. These have the same stats, although some sets look significantly different depending on what sex they're made for.
- Respawn on the Spot: If the player uses a revival shot.
- Run, Don't Walk: By default, the player moves at a gentle jog. They can sprint for a limited time by holding down the shift key.
- See Water: When the player is submerged, a transparent watery overlay is drawn over the screen.
- Set a Mook to Kill a Mook: Wild animals will sometimes attack each other, leaving the resulting corpses for the player to loot.
- Shout-Out: The Steam Page official art is eerily similar to the box art for◊ Another World.
- Sprint Meter: A stamina metre limits the player's running, jumping and whatnot. Mining and logging also drain the stamina metre, but the player can keep doing these activities at a reduced pace.
- Super-Persistent Predator: Some aggressive animals will chase the player for hours, even when mortally wounded.
- Survival Sandbox
- Terrain Sculpting: It is possible, if time-consuming, for players to level a mountain. Or build a mountain.
- Wide Open Sandbox