- Central Theme: "We all have a dark side."
- Four-Temperament Ensemble
- Sanguine: Vicki
- Choleric: Abyssal Demon
- Melancholic: Lifeweaver
- Phlegmatic: Dreamgazer
- Seven Deadly Sins: Five of them for five of the characters - Wrath (Vicki), Sloth (Ryan), Envy (Vivian), Pride (Violet), and Gluttony (Abigail).
- Seven Heavenly Virtues: On the other hand, at other times - Charity (Vicki), Humility (Ryan), Patience (Vivian), Kindness (Dreamgazer) and Diligence (Abigail).
Victoria "Vicki" Johnson
- Action Girl: While most of the female cast are this to some degree, Vicki is the most inclined to use her fists.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Is she The Cape or a Smug Super? How much of her hostility towards Violet is justified, and how much is irrational due to Cartesian Karma or maybe even jealousy? Should she be blamed for Violet's Death Seeker tendencies and her eventual Heroic Suicide? How much is she responsible for Vivian's descent into villainy?
- An Ice Person: Other than combat, she also causes the nearby area to rapidly tend towards Antarctica climate when she's angry.
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance: Parodied. The exobyte changed her eye colour to ice blue because it detects a strong correlation between blue eyes and ice powers, and automatically assumed it is part of the Required Secondary Powers. She naturally has grey eyes and Abby makes her wear contacts that reverts her eyes to their original colour when out of costume, despite her complaints that they barely look different at a glance.
- Broken Ace: She has issues that are very carefully hidden.
- Expy: Starts off appearing as a toned-down Supergirl with ice powers. Don't call her "Supergirl", though.
- Flying Brick: And the powerhouse of the team.
- Super Speed: Able to fly at supersonic speeds in air but lacks the Super Reflexes to pull it off on ground, even she could still move fast enough to appear as a blur she's not impossible to counter by those lacking super speed.
- Super Strength: Enough to easily kill any unprotected human with an offhand blow. With enough Heroic Resolve, she can punch hard enough to break pure sunstone crystal. Also subverting Invulnerable Knuckles as the effort caused her hands to bleed.
- Super Toughness: Noticeably less so than kryptonians; she's largely Immune to Bullets but high calibre ammo can cause large bruises and sunstone crystal weapons can rend her skin with relative ease; that's why her ice constructs are useful to misdirect and dull blows she don't want to risk taking. With her augmented exobyte, Vivian because powerful enough to burn even her.
- Harmless Freezing: Subverted. Her freezing turns out to be very not harmless, and she nearly unknowingly kills Vivian, who's basically left for dead and would have definitely died if Lex Luthor didn't come along.
- The Hero
- The Knights Who Say "Squee!": To Superman, of course.
- Never Gets Drunk: Caused by her altered physiology. Lifeweaver manages to temporarily shut that down.
- The Not-Love Interest: To Lifeweaver. They are very protective towards each other; she takes bullets for him all the time (justified because she is Immune to Bullets while he isn't) and is highly suspicious of Violet, his actual love interest. He patches her up whenever something does manage to injure her, and lashes out at Dreamy for possibly worsening her Came Back Wrong state.
- Not So Different: Buried very deep down inside her subconsciousness is two radically different ideas: crippling Survivor Guilt and a desire just for the pain to end like Violet, and an Enfant Terrible version of her that was locked away for wanting to destroy because she can, disturbingly like Abigail.
- Two Girls and a Guy: With Dreamgazer and Lifeweaver. Somewhat unusually, the only guy, Lifeweaver, eventually gets into a relationship with Violet, and the girls don't have any romance at all.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Her parental issues drove her to desperately seek approval from her father figure, Superman, even though she is very guarded about it.
- Artificial Human: Sculpted out of magical clay - however, this story uses the New 52 background for Wonder Woman, where she is actually the demigod daughter of Zeus. Circe does not know this, however, leaving her cripplingly vulnerable to Nth metal.
- Body Horror: Being melted from inside out by the Nth metal injection.
- Bookends: The first and last words she says: "SHAZAM!"
- Complete Monster: While under Circe's control.
- Dark Action Girl: Especially after losing her magical abilities, making her rely on cutting her victims to ribbons with a knife.
- Hoist Hero over Head: A rare justified case as she is attempting to finish Vicki off with an overhead lightning bolt.
- The Power of Hate: Literally feeds off it to become more powerful.
- Psycho Electro: It allows her to stun and injure Vicki, who's pinning her to the ground and her toned-down Superman-esque Nigh-Invulnerability offers little resistance to her magical lightning.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: To an even higher level than average: at first, she literally looks like a person whoever is looking at her would find the easiest to trust and be comfortable with. After a while though, it gets unsettling since she appears like a different person to everyone, so she settles as an unassuming Girl Next Door brunette.
- Brutal Honesty: Has a habit of saying exactly what others are thinking in the most straightforward manner possible.
- Compelling Voice: She does not "mind control" people, she "convinces" them to do as she says. She uses it very sparingly and doesn't really know the limits, stating she could stop Vicki only because she doesn't actually want to hurt her friends.
- Emotionless Girl: She gradually gets better.
- Flying Firepower
- Not So Different: Both Dreamy and Abigail deliberately shapeshift into a form people would find easy to trust.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Alternately called "Dreamy".
- Telepathy: Originally the only way of communication because she doesn't know how to speak. It makes her words carry an unnatural weight in one's mind.
Vivian "Flameburst Fury" Johnson
- Cain and Abel: Ends up killing Vicki in a terrible fit of rage.
- Eye Beams: Gains incredibly destructive Heat Vision after her augmentation.
- Playing with Fire
- Conflicting Loyalty / Friend or Idol Decision: He won't be in Batman's apprentice if he didn't idolize him, yet he starts to realize he doesn't want to become like him or alienate Vicki or Dreamy.
- Healing Hands: It's in his name!
- Lethal Harmless Powers: Subverted. While he can basically incapacitate the super-tough Vicki with artificially induced alcohol poisoning, he can't get the concentration he needs in battle.
- Women of Kryptonite: Everyone else on the main cast is this to some degree. Vicki and Vivian's bodies have a dense structure making it difficult for him to manipulate, Abigail is a shapeshifter and can reverse any change he might attempt, Violet is made of magical clay instead of true flesh, and Dreamy doesn't have a body at all.
- The Medic
- Spotting the Thread: Well, he's the Batman of the group. He's able to tell that it isn't Dreamgazer, but rather Abyssal Demon, who has faked her death, from the subtle differences between Dreamy's solid illusions and Abyssal Demon's true shapeshifting.
Abyssal Demon (Abigail Dearing)
- Cannibalism Superpower: Her reason to join the team in the first place. She wants to eat Vicki, and in order to be able to do so, she dug up Violet's corpse and eats it, and bites Ryan half to death to gain their powers and an edge. Vicki does not take this well.
- Faking the Dead
- Foil: To Dreamgazer. Both change their appearance to appeal to others, but with very different intentions.
- Gory Discretion Shot: When Bizarro kills her.
- No Man of Woman Born: She cannot be truly killed by anything in the entire multiverse. Batman skewers her with a certain magical silver sword from a different universe in the omniverse which exists outside of the DC multiverse.
- Shout-Out: Abyssal demons are from RuneScape. She also brings their signature Teleport Spam ability with her.
- Some Call Me "Tim": Abyssal demon is her race; her true name is The Unpronounceable; so they just call her "Abby".
- Steven Ulysses Perhero
- Villains Blend in Better: As another non-human who takes a human form, she clearly fits in better than Dreamgazer.
- Battle Discretion Shot: His epic battle against General Zod across the Fortress is only heard. It's implied that he used his Injustice super move to finally defeat him. This leaves the main characters to fend for themselves as Luthor vanished to further his own ends.
- Physical God: Even after one of the original characters makes a Deal with the Devil to be far more powerful than the average exobyte carrier, he still easily delivers a Curb-Stomp Battle.
- You Are Too Late: Only shows up towards the end and was too late to stop Vivian from killing her own sister.
- Betrayal Insurance: Not entirely unexpected. He develops nanotech that temporarily disables exobyte abilities and uses it against Vicki to great effect. This doesn't work on Dreamgazer, because she has no body to speak of; instead, he has a device that would fry her mind and reduce her physical form into a jumble of mental static if she tries to use her powers on him. Lifeweaver knows this to some extent, and the others are not happy to learn about it.
- The Chessmaster: He's Batman.
- Depleted Phlebotinum Shells: Tricks Lifeweaver into shooting Violet Blitz with a specially designed Nth metal bullet.
- Loophole Abuse: Being very much antiheroic in this story, he won't hesitate to get around his inhibitions to killing and using guns if he thinks it would make the world a safer place.