Måneskin is an Italian rock band.
Consisting of lead vocalist Damiano David, bassist Victoria De Angelis, guitarist Thomas Raggi, and drummer Ethan Torchio, Måneskin initially achieved fame as the runners-up of Italy's The X Factor in 2017. They released their debut album Il ballo della vita a year later in 2018, as well as a documentary film (This is Måneskin) about their career up to that point.
Ahead of their sophomore album's release in 2021, Måneskin competed in the Sanremo Music Festival with the song "Zitti e buoni" note and emerged as the winning act, beating out stiff competition from the likes of Ermal Meta (co-winner, 2018), Francesca Michielin (co-runner-up, 2016 & 2021), and Fedez (co-runner-up, 2021), the latter of whom served as a judge on their season of X-Factor.
With their victory at Sanremo, they also accepted RAI's invitation to represent Italy in the Eurovision Song Contest 2021. They ultimately finished in first place, giving Italy their first Eurovision victory since Toto Cutugno's "Insieme: 1992" in 1990 and third overall. They also became the first X Factor alums to win Eurovision.
- Chosen EP (2017)
- Il ballo della vita note (2018)
- Teatro d'ira: Vol. 1 note (2021)
Filmography (as themselves):
- The X Factor (2017)
- This is Måneskin (2018)
Måneskin's career provides examples of:
- Bowdlerise: The original version of "Zitti e buoni" included some cursewords that had to be removed when the song was selected for Eurovision. After the band won the contest Damiano sang the original, uncensored lyrics during the reprise.
- Drugs Are Bad: The band is against drug use, which they had to clarify after the perspective on a camera shot of Damiano yelling in excitement at their booth at Eurovision made it look like he was snorting a line of cocaine off their table. The entire band even volunteered for drug tests the next day to head the controversy off.
- Foreign Language Title and Heävy Mëtal Ümlaut: Måneskin (Danish for "moonshine") comes from De Angelis, who is of half-Danish ethnic background.
- Heavy Meta: "Chosen" is an almost auto-biographic song written in the band's point of view and how they want to impress their fans.
- Icarus Allusion: "Zitti e buoni" has a passing reference to the myth of Icarus in the second verse.Con ali in cera alla schiena ricercherò quell'altezza
Se vuoi fermarmi ritenta, prova a tagliarmi la testa.
- Mr. Fanservice / Ms. Fanservice: The whole band uses and abuses of this concept, to the point of posing naked for a photoshoot.
- Obligatory Bondage Song: "I Wanna Be Your Slave" skirts the line between this and Intercourse with You. It's also an Obligatory English Song:I wanna pull your strings like you're my telecaster
And if you want to use me, I could be your puppet.
- Rebellious Spirit: Some of their songs, including "Zitti e buoni", are odes to this ideal.
- The Runner-Up Takes It All: They placed second in their season of X Factor to Lorenzo Licitra, but have since outpaced him terms of chart success and mainstream popularity in Italy.
- Surpassed the Teacher: They competed against (and beat out) Fedez at Sanremo 2021, after competing on a show where he served as a judge and mentor figure to them.
- Surprisingly Good English: They have a couple of songs entirely sang in English.