Hair color is one of the most easily identifiable traits of an individual. The color and style of a person's hair is one of the first things the brain uses to identify who we are seeing. (This is why we tend to confuse people who have similar hair styles and color). Because of this, hair color is often used in media to distinguish different characters. Over time, specific hair colors have gained associated symbolism.
In Western media, blonde characters have two major symbolic associations: Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold and Dumb Blonde. Brunettes are Brainy. Fiery Redheads are Hot-Blooded. There are some others too. Tall, Dark, and Handsome tend to be preferred as leading men. Some of these are rarer than others, and none are hard and fast rules. Blond and red are particularly stereotypable, since most humans tend to have either dark brown or black hair.
The increasing global nature of media is causing Western and Eastern tropes about hair colors to mix. For example, Fiery Redhead was a Western trope, but it is now used in Japanese Anime. This may be because it already fits with other Eastern tropes such as Red Oni, Blue Oni.
Animation provides even more options than the typical blonde, red, and shades of brown and black. Western Animation has usually stuck to more natural colors, while occasionally using slight variations that work better in the medium; such as using dark blue or purple to highlight black hair, or using light blue instead of gray. Japanese Animation, however, has decided to use a far greater variety of hair colors than can be explained by nature. For a further discussion of Japanese Anime and Hair Colors, see Hair Color in Japan.
Compare Characteristic Clothing Colors.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Three female leads: a blonde, a brunette, and a redhead.
- Curtains Match the Window: Hair and eyes of the same color.
- Delinquent Hair: Punk hair, often dyed.
- Dye Hard: Hair dye flanderized.
- Elemental Hair: Hair and Elemental Powers match.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Real life hair vs illustrated hair.
- Hair Color Spoiler.
- Implausible Hair Color.
- Kaleidoscope Hair: Someone's hair changes color repeatedly.
- Multicolored Hair: More than one hair color on a single scalp.
- People of Hair Color: An ethnicity defined by a single hair color.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: Magical powers that cause a change in hair color.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: A dark-skinned blond character.
- Dumb Blonde: A dumb blond woman.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: A blond woman is considered very attractive.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Pure and innocent blonde.
- Plenty of Blondes: A cast with lots of blondes.
- Slashers Prefer Blondes: Blondes have lower survival rates than their darker-haired peers.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: A tall, pretty, aloof, composed dark hair girl.
- Brainy Brunette: An intelligent, academic brunette girl.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Dark hair + pale skin = eerie and vaguely undead.
- Evil Brunette Twin: Twin + dark hair = evil.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Dark hair + pale skin = beautiful and striking.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: A tall, good-looking, dark-haired and dark-eyed man.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Red hair and dark skin indicate an exotic, energetic, and unpredictable character.
- Evil Redhead: An evil red-haired character.
- Fiery Redhead: A redhead with a fiery personality.
- Heroes Want Redheads: A red-haired love interest.
- Red-Headed Stepchild: A person bullied for their red hair.
- Redhead In Green: Redheads wear lots of green.
- Redheads Are Uncool: Redhead youths are nerds, geeks, and other social outcasts.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: Green-eyed redheads are never just extras.