Laura Elizabeth Dern (born February 10, 1967) is an American actress.
She's best known for playing Ellie Sattler in Jurassic Park and for being something of a muse for David Lynch — she has appeared in Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart and Inland Empire — and Alexander Payne (Citizen Ruth and Downsizing). She most recently appeared in Star Wars: The Last Jedi as Vice Admiral Amylin Holdo.
She is the daughter of actors Bruce Dern and Diane Ladd.
- Blue Velvet
- Wild at Heart
- Jurassic Park
- Jurassic Park III
- Inland Empire
- The Master
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Cold Pursuit
- Enlightened as Amy Jellicoe
- Big Little Lies as Renata Klein
- Twin Peaks as Diane Evans
- F is for Family as Sue Murphy.
Tropes related to her career:
- Black Sheep Hit: While the majority of Dern's roles have been in dramatic indie films with some kind of socio-political edge, her best known role is Dr. Ellie Sattler in the action-adventure blockbuster Jurassic Park.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Dern appeared as a child eating an ice cream cone in the 1974 film Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (of which her mom Diane Ladd was a supporting cast member). After numerous retakes required her to eat twelve cones in one sitting, which she did without getting sick, director Martin Scorsese remarked to Ladd, "This girl could be an actress!"
- Old Shame: Her appearance in the (never-released) low-budget horror film Grizzly II in the mid-1980s because she was young and needed the money. Just saying the film's title is good enough to get a priceless reaction out of her.
- Playing Against Type: What her role as Dr. Ellie Sattler in Jurassic Park effectively was.
- Production Posse: A frequent member of David Lynch's.
- Romance on the Set: Has dated a lot of her male co-stars. Has been in relationships with Nicolas Cage, Jeff Goldblum, Kyle Maclachlan and Billy Bob Thornton, among others.
- Statuesque Stunner: She may not look like it, being dwarfed by most of her male co-stars, on camera, but she's actually 5'10".