Laura Elizabeth Dern (born February 10, 1967 in Los Angeles, California) is an American actress.
She's best known for playing Ellie Sattler in Jurassic Park and for being something of a muse for David Lynch — she has appeared in Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Inland Empire, and Twin Peaks — and Alexander Payne (Citizen Ruth and Downsizing).
- Smooth Talk 1985
- Blue Velvet
- Fat Man And Little Boy
- Wild at Heart
- Jurassic Park
- October Sky
- Jurassic Park III
- Inland Empire
- The Master
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Cold Pursuit
- Marriage Story - Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress
- Little Women
- Enlightened as Amy Jellicoe
- Big Little Lies as Renata Klein
- Twin Peaks as Diane Evans
- F is for Family as Sue Murphy.
Tropes related to her career:
- Black Sheep Hit: While the majority of Dern's roles have been in dramatic indie films with some kind of socio-political edge, her best known role is Dr. Ellie Sattler in the action-adventure blockbuster Jurassic Park.
- Old Shame: Her appearance in the low-budget horror film Grizzly II in the mid-1980s* because she was young and needed the money. Just saying the film's title is good enough to get a priceless reaction out of her.
- Playing Against Type: What her role as Dr. Ellie Sattler in Jurassic Park effectively was.
- Production Posse: A frequent member of David Lynch's.
- Romance on the Set: Has dated a lot of her male co-stars. Has been in relationships with Nicolas Cage, Jeff Goldblum, Kyle Maclachlan and Billy Bob Thornton, among others.
- Statuesque Stunner: She may not look like it, being dwarfed by most of her male co-stars, on camera, but she's actually 5'10".