Portia Lee James DeGeneres (born Amanda Lee Rogers on 31 January 1973) is an Australian-born actor and model. Known for her marriage to Ellen DeGeneres and her acting roles as Nelle Porter on Ally McBeal, Lindsay Bluth Fünke on Arrested Development and Veronica Palmer on Better Off Ted. Her autobiography, Unbearable Lightness was acclaimed for casting light on the pressures of stardom (which, in her case, led to a battle with eating disorders). She has since quit acting to focus full time on the art curation company she founded.
Provides examples of the following tropes:
- The Beard: Was married to Mel Metcalfe before coming out and marrying Ellen, and indicated that she married him for two reasons: US residency and to help her acting career by appearing straight.
- Fake American: She's Australian.
- Gay Groom in a White Tux: Wore one at her wedding.
- Hello, Attorney!: She played a sexy lawyer on Ally McBeal. note
- Lipstick Lesbian: In contrast to her wife who, while not a Butch Lesbian, has a boyish fashion sense.
- Typecasting: As either a tough businesswoman or a ditzy blonde. In some cases (Veronica Palmer), both at the same time.