Robert Clark Gregg (born April 2, 1962) is an American actor, screenwriter and director, best known for his role as Phil Coulson in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, most prominently in the television series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. He has been married to Jennifer Grey since 2001.
Appearances as Phil Coulson:
Marvel Cinematic Universe:
- 2008 Iron Man
- 2010 Iron Man 2
- 2011 Thor
- 2011 The Consultant
- 2011 A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer
- 2012 The Avengers
- 2013present Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- 2019 Captain Marvel
Other Film Roles:
- 1994 Clear and Present Danger as Staff Sergeant
- 1995 The Usual Suspects as Dr. Walters
- 1995 Tyson as Kevin Rooney
- 2000 State and Main as Doug Mackenzie
- 2002 One Hour Photo as Det. Paul Outerbridge
- 2002 We Were Soldiers as Capt. Tom Metsker
- 2003 11:14 as Officer Hanna
- 2004 Spartan as Miller
- 2004 The Shield as William Faulks
- 2007 In the Land of Women as Nelson Hardwicke
- 2008 Choke as Lord High Charlie, also writer and director
- 2009 (500) Days of Summer as Vance
- 2011 Mr. Popper's Penguins as Nat Jones
- 2012 Much Ado About Nothing as Leonato
- 2013 The To Do List as Judge Klark
- 2013 Labor Day as Gerald
- 1993 Young Indiana Jones as Dickinson
- 2000 Sports Night as The Stranger
- 2001 The West Wing as FBI Special Agent Michael Casper
- 20062010 The New Adventures of Old Christine as Richard Campbell
- Ambiguously Jewish: His father was an Episcopalian priest and academic chaplain but he wasn't very religious himself. He later married Jennifer Grey, who comes from a very prominent Jewish family, and is raising his daughter within the Jewish faith. He noted in an interview that he finds Judaism appealing and actually attends religious services far more often than his wife (who only goes for the High Holidays and special occasions) but has yet to decide if he wants to convert.
- Ascended Extra: Coulson was originally just a minor character used to introduce SHIELD into the MCU, but became increasingly prominent throughout the Phase One films and so popular that the powers that be at Marvel Studios had to bring him back from the dead to satisfy fan backlash. Coulson's even become a part of the official Earth-616 universe because of just how well the fans received him.
- Awesome, Dear Boy: He played Coulson in the first Iron Man mostly as a favor to Jon Favreau, his neighbor, but found that he enjoyed the role and being part of the MCU so much that he's played the character across multiple movies and TV shows (both live action and animated). He's also publicly lamented the "lawyer stuff" that's preventing him from appearing on the MCU Netflix shows.
- The Cast Show Off: He has martial arts training and uses it for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- He Also Did: Wrote the 2000 thriller What Lies Beneath before his acting breakout.