Robert Clark Gregg (born April 2, 1962 in Boston, Massachusetts) is an American actor, screenwriter and director, best known for his role as Phil Coulson in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, most prominently in the television series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. He reprises this role on numerous occasions in other Marvel media. He has been married to Jennifer Grey since 2001.
- Young Indiana Jones (1993) as Dickinson
- Clear and Present Danger (1994) as Staff Sergeant
- The Usual Suspects (1995) as Dr. Walters
- Tyson (1995) as Kevin Rooney
- Sports Night (2000) as The Stranger
- State and Main (2000) as Doug Mackenzie
- The West Wing (2001) as FBI Special Agent Michael Casper
- One Hour Photo (2002) as Det. Paul Outerbridge
- We Were Soldiers(2002) as Capt. Tom Metsker
- 11:14 (2003) as Officer Hanna
- Spartan (2004) as Miller
- The Shield (2004) as William Faulks
- The New Adventures of Old Christine (2006 — 2010) as Richard Campbell
- In the Land of Women (2007) as Nelson Hardwicke
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 — present):
- Choke (2008) as Lord High Charlie (also writer and director)
- (500) Days of Summer (2009) as Vance
- Mr. Popper's Penguins (2011) as Nat Jones
- Much Ado About Nothing (2012) as Leonato
- Ultimate Spider-Man (2012 — 2017) as Phil Coulson (voice)
- Lego Marvel Super Heroes (2013) as as Phil Coulson (voice)
- The To Do List (2013) as Judge Klark
- Live by Night (2016) as Chief Inspector Calvin Bordurant
- What Lies Beneath (2000)
- Ambiguously Jewish: His father was an Episcopalian priest and academic chaplain but he wasn't very religious himself. He later married Jennifer Grey, who comes from a very prominent Jewish family, and is raising his daughter within the Jewish faith. He noted in an interview that he finds Judaism appealing and actually attends religious services far more often than his wife (who only goes for the High Holidays and special occasions) but has yet to decide if he wants to convert.
- Ascended Extra: Coulson was originally just a minor character used to introduce SHIELD into the MCU, but became increasingly prominent throughout the Phase One films and so popular that the powers that be at Marvel Studios had to bring him back from the dead to satisfy fan backlash. Coulson's even become a part of the official Earth-616 universe because of just how well the fans received him.
- Awesome, Dear Boy: He played Coulson in the first Iron Man mostly as a favor to Jon Favreau, his neighbor, but found that he enjoyed the role and being part of the MCU so much that he's played the character across multiple movies and TV shows (both live action and animated). He's also publicly lamented the "lawyer stuff" that's preventing him from appearing on the MCU Netflix shows.
- The Cast Show Off: He has martial arts training and uses it for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- He Also Did: Wrote the 2000 thriller What Lies Beneath before his acting breakout.