A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer is a 2011 short film, directed by Leythum and written by Eric Pearson.
Set within the Marvel Cinematic Universe, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer is the second installment of the Marvel One-Shots series, and was included on the home video release of Captain America: The First Avenger.
Immediately before the events of Thor, S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Phill Coulson (Clark Gregg) is en route to examine a strange, unmovable hammer that has suddenly appeared in Albuquerque, New Mexico. While at a gas station, Coulson finds himself stuck in a robbery, and his years of training as a SHIELD agent are put to the test.
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer contains examples of the following tropes:
- Beware the Nice Ones: This is the first time we see Coulson fight. Bonus points because he never drops his calm polite demeanor.
- Conveniently Unverifiable Cover Story: "Tell them those Tae Bo tapes really paid off."
- Curb-Stomp Battle: One S.H.I.E.L.D. agent vs. two armed robbers. It ends very quickly.
- A Day in the Limelight: For Coulson.
- Donut Mess with a Cop: Or with a S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent — the reason Coulson goes into the store is to buy donuts, and can't choose which one he wants. So he buys them both.
- I Just Shot Marvin in the Face: Averted when Coulson warns the two crooks that throwing his gun might cause it to go off, and he recommends sliding it over instead. Played straight when one of the crooks accidentally shoots himself in the foot, due to Coulson kicking the barrel down.
- Improbable Weapon User: Only a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent would use their weapon as a distraction against armed men, and instead attack with a sack of flour.
- Mythology Gag: Agent Coulson gets gas from Roxxon Oil.
- Troll: Coulson gleefully trolls the two robbers, perfectly aware that they are no threat to him.Coulson: Excuse me, but I also have this gun.
- With My Hands Tied: Rather than use his pistol against two robbers with shotguns, Coulson kindly slides it over to them before defeating them with a sack of flour and martial arts skills. Then, not even out of breath, checks out, strolls off to his now full car and goes on his merry way.