This page is about characters that appear in The Black Sand Bar
open/close all folders
The Vernal Family
- Aristocrats Are Evil: They're Unseelie nobility/royalty. Rhoslyn himself is an Archduke, and is probably the nicest, kindest Unseelie there is. Which isn't saying all that much.
- Badass Family: Rhoslyn killed his way to the top and passed the secrets along.
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: Start with Eternal Sexual Freedom, add in lots of Cold-Blooded Torture, Mind Rape, and other staples of the Deadly Decadent Court.
- The Fair Folk: The Vernals are the traditional rulers of the Spring Court, allied with the Winter Court. They are part of the Unseelie, and are of the Sidhe race.
- Combat Pragmatist: Rhoslyn rules-lawyered the SHIT out of Gaia's Heaven or Hell, and has bitten the tip of someone's dick off mid-combat when the opportunity presented itself.
- Cool Sword: Guindisalvus is an Ancestral Weapon made of soulsteel that can grow or shrink, confers spells of light and darkness, and kills unworthy wielders.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Sun-kissed tan skin, bright red hair.
- Fertile Feet: When barefoot. He doesn't have much control over it.
- Gender Bender: Rhoslyn goes by Ross while male and Rhos while female.
- Gun Nut: He has a replica of Charlston Heston's armory as a small personal armory.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Ruthless slaughtering of NPC's, casual elimination of bad guys, occasionally blasting people into permanent orbit...
- Jerkass: Rhoslyn is a dick. Examples?
- Spikes the drinks of his mistress and a friend of hers with illegal lust potion, then dumps the mistress seconds before she gets dragged off to what she imagined would kill her.
- Tells the wife of a friend about his friend's affairs just to sleep with her
- Keeps captive Seelie Knights on leashes, and regularly skins them, bleeds them, breaks their minds, and otherwise abuses them for the lulz and profit. Note that faeries are immortal.
- Kissing Cousins: With his cousin Akasha, the current leader of the Winter Court and Unseelie Court.
- Knife Nut: He carries an irrational number of knives at ay given time, made of different materials to kill different things.
- Lightning Bruiser: Fast, tough, good with weapons and magic, and an [[Determinator iron will]].
- Parental Incest: Both with his mother and his older daughters, not by his choice.
- The Pornomancer: Rhoslyn gets a lot of tail, both PC and NPC, and has induced orgies.
- Refuge in Audacity: When given the opportunity to help rebel forces capture the city of Puerto Diablo, Rhoslyn's idea of help was to throw a giant outlaw rock concert, passing out drugs and looting implements while multiple people - himself included - played protest songs and used mind-control powers to start a riot.
- Sword and Gun: Moonblade and magelock. Alternately, moonblade and Magic Wand
- The Unfettered: Rhoslyn has very clear goals in mind, and acts accordingly.
- Daddy's Little Villain: She's basically a younger, female Ross.
- The Lad-ette: She loves beer, will hit on everyone, and is interested in stereotypically masculine things.
- Not a Morning Person: She's usually not awake at morning and when she is, she is not very happy. Or awake.
- Super Strength: This and anchoring are one of her inherent powers.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Cal's natural hair is a vivid shade of blue; she changes her highlights to match her clothes.
- Psychic Powers: Mostly focused on telekinesis, but he has some other powers.
- The Quiet One: Hates Small Talk and doesn't particularly talk all that much to people he isn't friends with.
- Bad Liar: Aaron doesn't hide her emotions all that well.
- Damsel in Distress: Attacked by Temozariel, and snatched by the World Eater. All in the same month.
- The Fashionista: Practically a new outfit a day, lovingly described and with a picture link.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Aaron sure does do a lot of drinking and partying.
- Stepford Smiler: While she seems to be happy a lot, Aaron drinks to drown her sorrows.
- Organic Technology: He is practically a Phyrexian
- The Virus: He carries Phyrexian oil inside him, causing him to be a host of the most viraul substance in the multiverse
- And I Must Scream: the whole process to make him what he is
- Appendage Assimilation: Isley can regrow or reattach his metallic arm
- BFS: his claymore
- Bio-Augmentation: Has had Phyrexian oil implanted in him, without negative side effects, yet.
- The Corruptible: He has a 50/50 chance of becoming a true Phyrexian.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Polite, soft-spoken, will blast you with lightning.
- Incurable Cough of Death: Still keeps going, but tends to get racked by coughs and cough up blood.
- Mighty Glacier: Casually cuts mostly through trees, survived being shot in the face and exploded violently by one of Rhoslyn's spells. His bum knee keeps him from moving fast.
- Old Master: Not many bold atheist human paladins live to the age of seventy.
- Eldritch Abomination:Wears a hooded long coat to hide his more monstrous features
- Gentle Giant: Outside combat he is passive for a 7'5" monster.
- I'm a Humanitarian: His diet mostly consists of vampires
- All Guitars Are Stratocasters: averted; Aveline's guitar is a Fender Jaguar.
- Beauty Is Bad: Aveline has far less respect for anybody who is "artificially" beautiful. In fact, Aveline never uses any makeup, seeing it only for sluts and whores.
- Brother-Sister Team: Aveline is half of one (Thurgood is the other)
- Friendly Sniper: Aveline snipes well; she is also much more social than her big brother Thurgood.
- Gamer Chick: Aveline plays Warhammer 40,000, has at least 2,000 points of Imperial Guard and she's fairly good at it (she usually beats Thurgood).
- Gun Nut: Aveline can look at a firearm and usually tell what model it is.
- Acquired Poison Immunity: Thurgood can drink up to a liter of metnanol now with no ill effects. This is because his liver is able to convert it into methyl nitrate with some by-products along the way
- Beauty Is Bad: Thurgood holds this view quite tightly (whether the beauty is natural or "artificial") and doesn't hold any of the "pretty" patrons all that highly in esteem (he never finds guys "pretty" unless its artificial or really noticeable).
- Brother-Sister Team: Thurgood is half of one (Aveline is the other)
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: Thurgood can make anything mechanical work just upon his faith in its operational abilities (see also: Orks)
- Determinator: Especially shows in his last Gaian Tenkaichi Budokai fight.
- Gun Nut: Thurgood can look at a firearm and tell usually what model it is.
- Techno Babble: When Thurgood describes an electrical or chemical process, he can easily veer into this.
- The Cynic
- Artificial Limbs: Darius' black plated auto mail arm
- Ax-Crazy: He has a penchant for slaughtering rebel soldiers
- Blood Knight:
- Covered with Scars: Given his past and lifestyle its to be expected
- Detect Evil: Darius ability more so manifests itself via negative emotions.
- Dreadlock Rasta: Less for fashion and more as a weapon with small blades adorned onto them.
- For the Evulz:
- Put the "Laughter" in "Slaughter": Again those poor rebel soldiers.
- The Corruption: Acts as a Psycho Serum to those infected with a controlled amount via his blood. Otherwise it main usage results in.
- Walking Wasteland: Vegetation and creatures alike succumb when too close while generating Morsatra energy in its weaponized glory comparable to nuclear power doped on negative energy.
- Robot Buddy: Well, duh.
- Grew Beyond Their Programming: iZac eventually grew a personality. Turns out, he's a gay robot.
- Irrational Hatred: iZac abhors Thurgood with a passion. Nobody knows why