The Freighter Science Team
- Anti Villain
- The Determinator
- Gray and Grey Morality
- Rag Tag Bunch Of Misfits: An odd physicist, a ruthless anthropologist, a snarky spirit medium, and a friendly pilot.
- Science Hero
- The Team: Naomi - The Leader; Miles - The Lancer; Faraday - The Smart Guy/The Hero; Lapidas - The Big Guy; Charlotte - The Chick.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
A spiritualist hired by Charles Widmore to go to the Island. He has the ability to read the final thoughts of the deceased.
- Action Survivor: Only science team member to survive (not counting Frank Lapidus, who was a helicopter pilot for the freighter).
- Ascended Extra: Of all the team he is the most focused on and, by season 5-6, is completely part of the main cast.
- A Day in the Limelight: In "Some Like It Hoth" where his backstory is revealed.
- Deadpan Snarker: Hurley said it best.Hurley: Oh, awesome. The ship sent us another Sawyer.
- Disappeared Dad: His father, Dr. Pierre Chang, wasn't around when he was a child since he was on the island.
- Expy: He's basically an Asian Sawyer, pre-Character Development.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Choleric
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Sawyer. It's more prominent in the flash sideways when they are partners on the police force. They also seem very close in the main timeline (enough for Miles to call him "Jim" in a friendly manner).
- I See Dead People: He doesn't quite 'see' them, but hears little echos of them left behind.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- The Lancer: To Sawyer, in Season 5.
- Phony Psychic: Variation. He's a real psychic, but he regularly lies about what he sees for money.
- Only in It for the Money: At first. He also offers to tell Widmore that Ben is dead in exchange for $3.2 million, double what Widmore was paying him.
- Tell Me About My Father: His request from his mother, who doesn't want to talk about him.
- Took a Level in Badass
A pilot who was originally supposed to fly Oceanic 815. He is selected by Abaddon to be part of the team that travels to the Island via the freighter Kahana; he brings Daniel, Miles and Charlotte to the Island by helicopter.
- Ace Pilot: Frank is a hell of a pilot, having made two successful crash-landings (the fact that they were crashing wasn't his fault) with minimal casualties. He also manages to get a crashed plane held together by duct tape in the air again.Miles: Hey, hey, Lapidus, where's the chopper? Where did it crash?Frank: Crash? The hell kind of pilot d'you think I am?
- Action Survivor: He's an average guy, but circumstances force him to take action. He stands up to Keamy repeatedly, only relenting when others are put in danger. He's also handy with a gun fearlessly makes successful crash-landings and survives getting hit by a steel door in a sinking submarine.
- Advertised Extra: Somewhat in Season 6.
- The Alcoholic: Alluded to. Naomi refers to him as a 'drunk' and the reason he didn't make the original 815 flight was because he was hung-over from the night before. By Season 6, he seems to have cleaned himself up.
- Badass Beard: In Season 4.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: He has 'em.
- Conspiracy Theorist: He believes (correctly) that the wreck at the bottom of the ocean is not Flight 815.
- Cool Old Guy: Frank's an Ace Pilot and a courageous old badass.
- Deadpan Snarker: Frank has some fun lines."Jack, now I know I'm new to this group and everything but isn't this the place where everybody starts jumping up and down and hugging each other?""Half the stuff he says goes way over my head, the other half goes way, way over.""As long as the dead guy says there's a good reason, I guess everything's just peachy."
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Phlegmatic.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: The submarine explodes 12 days after the Ajira 316 crash. Frank is revealed to have survived in The End, which takes place two days later. Frank stayed on a single broken piece of the submarine in waters that were previously established to have sharks in them for two days.
- Only Sane Man: Frank is the person closest to normal in perhaps the entire cast. Weirdest damn funeral he's ever been to.
- Promotion to Opening Titles: For Season 6.
- Unfazed Everyman: Frank reaches a point where he just accepts his crazy circumstances with a dry look or snarky quip.
A physicist and professor who parachuted onto the Island from a helicopter sent by the freighter Kahana. He was distinguished by his polite demeanor and his scientific insight into the Island's mysterious properties. He was the son of Eloise Hawking and Charles Widmore, who were both former leaders of the Others. Daniel spent his entire adult life studying space-time. His experiments with time travel debilitated his girlfriend and damaged his memory, forcing him to flee his Oxford professorship, but his illness was healed when he arrived on the Island.
- Absent-Minded Professor: The youngest graduate of Oxford in its history, professor in his 20s, pioneer in Time Travel... and he can barely remember anything. Until the Island heals him, that is...
- Bad Liar
- Back for the Dead: After being absent during the middle of Season 5, Daniel returns but lasts only an episode before being killed.
- Back for the Finale: Like everyone, he returns for the finale.
- Character Death: He's shot in the back by a younger version of Eloise (his own mother) while holding Richard at gunpoint.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Due to his memory problems, Daniel is more than a little odd.
- A Death in the Limelight: His death echoes this trope as well. Though he was a member of the main cast, his backstory was lacking until his centric episode "The Variable", in which his past was shown and then he was killed.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Melancholic.
- Gibbering Genius
- Heroes Want Redheads: His love interest is Charlotte, after all.
- Heroic BSoD: Once Charlotte dies he barely seems to function. Until he starts thinking he can change this ever happening.
- Hollywood Nerd
- Lovable Nerd
- Mad Scientist
- My Beloved Smother: His mother works very hard to control every aspect of his life.
- Mr. Exposition: Although you'll practically have to beat it out of him (though he doesn't quite know everything). After the episode "The Variable", he becomes a posthumous Mr. Exposition once his journal outlives him.
- Nice Hat: In the flash-sideways. Fun fact: the hat Daniel wore actually belongs to Jeremy Davies.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: His plan to detonate Jughead, a plan he created to prevent Oceanic 815s crash, kickstarts the events that lead to the plane crash in the first place. Almost all of the events of the series are a result of his plan.
- Sanity Slippage
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: His entire life is one. When a young Eloise Hawking shot an adult Daniel (while pregnant with him, Time Travel and all), she spent his entire life ensuring that he would become the scientific genius that she shot and keep the timeline intact. While appearing cold and distant to him, it was because she knew his entire purpose in life was to go to the Island and die.
- Shout-Out: He is named after British scientist Michael Faraday.
- Shown Their Work: For his role, Jeremy Davies thoroughly researched Physics and Mathematics. Many of the equations seen are his own.
- The Smart Guy: Throughout his time on the series, Faraday plays an important role by sharing his knowledge of time travel.
- The Time Traveller's Dilemma: Daniel's attempts to reset time so that 815 never crashed by stopping the Incident not only results in his death, but probably caused the Incident, since we see Pierre lose his arm, a event referenced in the very first episode with him in it.
A gifted cultural anthropologist who grew up on the Island, where her parents were members of the DHARMA Initiative. She eventually escaped with just her mother, leaving her father (and possibly two younger sisters) behind. She spent the rest of her life trying to find the Island again, partly because of her mother's insistence that she had made it all up, and partly for a chance to find her father again. She finally parachuted back onto the Island on day 91, as part of the freighter science team.
- Action Girl: Although not up to the standard of some other characters, Charlotte is fearless and doesn't hesitate to leap into action.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: Although it's largely off-screen, Charlotte is heavily implied to be an Indiana Jones-type who travels the world uncovering digs related to the island.
- Back for the Finale: Like everyone, she returns for the finale.
- Badass Bookworm: Comes with being an Adventurer Archaeologist.
- Character Death: Charlotte dies of temporal displacement.
- Cloud Cuckoolanders Minder: For Daniel, a job which she has taken on her own initiative.
- Fiery Redhead: She's a blazing redhead with strong emotions.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sanguine.
- Hot-Blooded: She can be very aggressive with people.
- Hot Scientist: Daniel and Sawyer most certainly recognise her hotness.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Charlotte is quite rude and stand-offish with the survivors, although to be fair, this was likely a side-effect of being shot in the chest not long after landing. She eventually softens up, and early on shows her caring side with Daniel.
- Meaningful Name: She shares her middle and last names with famed English writer Clive Staples Lewis.
- Omniglot: She speaks several languages including Korean.Translator: How many different languages do you have to read that in before you believe it's true?Charlotte: How many different languages are there?
- Sanity Slippage: An effect of the temporal displacement she starts to suffer from.