- Amelia from Amelia Rules! screams a NO! that fills an entire page after regretting that she gave up her spot as a cheerleader to her friend Rhonda.
SotB leader: Gotham City is helpless — this is our chance to raze Gotham — to purge Gotham —
- Batman's reaction to the death of Jason Todd in A Death in the Family.
- In Batman: Year One, Gordon's reaction to his infant child being dropped from a high bridge. Luckily, Batman saves the day.
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns: The leader of the "Sons of the Bat" — Mutant gang members who have flocked to Batman (or their idea of Batman) as a symbol declares the blackout in the city as an ideal opportunity to Kill It with Fire. The Dark Knight's refutation is so stentorian that the speech balloon is in the shape of a Big No.
- Be Prepared contains at least two.
- Phillip lets one out when his mother agrees to send him and Vera to ORRA.
- Vera lets one out at finding out that she'll be staying at Vera for another two weeks.
- "Give Up?", a Betty and Veronica comic, has Betty giving Veronica this when Veronica asks Betty if she'll — you guessed it — dump Archie.
- Brody's Ghost has Talia howling out an enraged "NOOOOOO!" when Brody refuses to choke her murderer to death as she desires, instead planning to leave him for the cops to arrest and convict legally.
- In "The Haunted Sky" in Creepy #30 a test pilot yelled one when the ghosts of buddy pilots from the wars he'd served during made him crash his plane.
- In "Lifeboat" in Creepy #34 the last survivor of a dead race yelled one when he was tossed out an airlock.
- Daredevil's "no" when he realizes Elektra is really dead is so big he isn't even in the panel.
- In The Darkness, Jackie Estacado when he learns that he Can't Have Sex, Ever.
- In Final Crisis, Overman's reaction to finding out his beloved cousin Kara Kant/Overgirl is dead. Since he's German, he goes "Neinnnnnn!"
- Flashpoint: Deadman gives a big "NO" once he realizes he's now a ghost.
- The Golden Age: Thunderbolt, when his master Johnny Thunder gives him the command to kill Hourman during the Dynaman revelation incident, became so conflicted with that and his own personal ethics that he just departed from the scene entirely, screaming this.
- The Inhumans:
- In an issue of Valiant Comics' The Legend of Zelda, Zelda points out Link's defeating Ganon is pointless because "You don't have to join Ganon! You've become Ganon!" You can guess Link's response.
- When Jane Foster is killed (don't worry, she gets better) in The Mighty Thor #371, Thor spends an entire page smashing stuff up while shouting "NO!". He ends up kneeling in the wreckage, saying one final, very small, "No."
- Nemesis the Warlock: Nemesis, near death at that point, gives a big "NOOOO!" when Torquemada reveals his last plan to activate his "Final Solution".
- The Powerpuff Girls story "Steal A Meal" (Block Party #26) has the girls giving out with a big tearful "NO!!!" when the only cereal left on grocery shelves is oatmeal. (Him brought three cartoon cereal mascots to life and had them steal all the cereal in town.)
- In the first shown version of The Punisher's family's deaths (Marvel Preview #2), he screams a big "noooooo!" when he realizes he is the only one of them to have survived.
- Sillage: Nävis, at the end of the first issue when she discovers she is trapped in an alien zoo exhibit and that her adventure was not a dream, meaning her home has been destroyed and her friend Houyo is dead..
- In an issue of the Sonic the Hedgehog comic (#135), this is Sonic's reaction to the apparent (and brief) death of his father, represented by him screaming helplessly with a big "N" and "O" to either side. It... doesn't really work. Points for trying, though.
- In the series Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Big Bad Haazen has one of these right before getting annihilated by the combined firepower of an entire fleet of warships.
- Ryu in Malibu's Street Fighter comic gives one when he finds out Ken's dead.
- It happens several times in The Supergirl from Krypton:
- In Bizarrogirl, a child screams when a car is about to crush him (technically he yells "AAAAAAH!", but the spirit is the same).
- In Superman story Superman: Brainiac, Pa Kent shouts one when he sees a missile heading towards his home and his wife.
- In a flashback in the Thunderbolts 1997 Annual, Melissa Gold (in her costumed persona of Screaming Mimi, possessing sonic powers) obliterates a portion of forest, liquefies the ground around herself, and destroys her vocal cords upon the death of her boyfriend Angar, by falling to her knees and screaming for 48 minutes straight, until she shreds her vocal cords and can't do it anymore.. She gets better.
- In the original Transformers Generation 1 comics, Prowl got a classic one in response to the second death of Optimus Prime.
- Ultimate Marvel
- Ultimate FF: The fate of the universe requires Sue to have a son with the infamous Reed Richards (who is a complete monster in the Ultimate Marvel universe). Does this mean that she has to have sex with him? No: she took a third option, prepared a force-field scalpel, and prepared to cut his stones, in order to retrieve the required body fluids for an artificial insemination. Next scene, the point of view gets out of the building. Ugh, that's gotta hurt!
- Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra: Matt uses his Super Senses to overhear all conversations in the city at once, to locate a criminal. One of the things he overhears was a big "No!".
- In Uncanny X-Men #300, Fabian Cortez is informed that he's no longer the top contender among the Upstarts.
- In an early issue of Chris Claremont's X-Men:Omniscient Narrator: You and the X-Men have saved the world from a nuclear holocaust, but you lost a man to do it... and try as you might, you can't balance those scales in your mind or in your heart... can you, Cyclops?
Narrator: Can you?
Narrator: CAN YOU?
- In the story "Kill or Cure", from Iceman, when Mystique reacts badly to his final rejection of her (she jumps off the San Francisco Bay Bridge).
- Wonder Woman (1987): When the White Magician's misuse of magic backfires on him and his body starts burning from the inside out he screams "NOOO! Burning- " before he loses the ability to speak as he dies.
Big No / Comic Books