- No one escapes the law of gravity!
The year, 1938. The place, the Maya ruins at Chichen Itza, Mexico. Joshua Jones is a member of a small film studio called Century Films, and personal assistant and friend to the CEO, C.F. Avery. Recently, they've been approached by a German named Jaeger, who wishes to take them to a ruin in Mexico to film a pulp-inspired Superhero movie called "Captain Gravity: The Curse of Ah Puch". By billing it as the first ever movie shot on-site at the ruins, it could surely pull Century Films out of the B-Movie ghetto they've found themselves in.
And they've managed to land a real star in the form of Chase DuBois, who's returning a favour for Century Films giving her her very first big break (even if they have to have Shane Radcliffe star as Captain Gravity). Jaeger has also brought along Professor Goethals as a consultant to make sure that everything is accurate to the legend, and that the natives don't attack.
However, Jaeger and Professor Goethals also have their own reasons for being in the Maya ruins. Professor Goethals wishes to locate Element 115, a previously-unknown element that could vindicate him and his research in the eyes of his peers. However, Jaeger wants to hand it over to the Third Reich.
The comic was published in 1998.
Captain Gravity contains examples of:
- The '30s: The comic is set in 1938.
- Alliterative Name: The Protagonist is named Joshua Jones.
- Ancient Astronauts: During a Flashback in which Professor Goethals describes his theory of the history of the Itza Maya, those very people are visited by aliens that the Itza Maya take to be gods. Said aliens use the power of Element 115 to help the Itza Maya build their society, until they all get killed by Hunac Ceel when he gets his hands on Element 115.
- Big Bad: Jaeger. He's the one who organized the film shooting to cover up that he was after Element 115 for the Nazi Party.
- Big "NO!": Joshua lets one loose near the start of the comic when Professor Goethals dies from being shot by Jaeger.
- Captain Superhero: Captain Gravity, of course.
- Gravity Master: This is the ability Element 115 grants whoever touches it, like Hunac Ceel and Joshua.
- Hope Spot: During a film shoot, Shane keeps messing up his lines and Mr. Avery has to keep shouting "Cut!". At the 115th take, Shane actually manages to get all his lines down pat, giving Mr. Morris hope that they can actually shoot the scene right... then the cable holding Shane up goes slack.
- How We Got Here: Each issue (or at least the first four) begins with Joshua Jones in some dangerous situation before reminiscing on what happened earlier.
- In the Back: In the narration flashback of the rise of the Itza Maya, Hunac Ceel is brought down by a spear to his back.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Jaeger doesn't think very highly of Jewish people, or black people. This includes Professor Goethals and Joshua Jones, respectively.
- Shout-Out: While Joshua is battling Jaeger at one point, Jaeger shouts "Get your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!".
- To Be Continued: The first three issues ended with this statement. The last one has "The End?".
- Unobtainium: Element 115, a mysterious gas that was brought to Earth by Ancient Astronauts who visited the Itza Maya people. It has the power to grant whoever touches it the ability to control gravity.