Eriko Tamura, the only daughter of a very famous couple, Kousuke Tamura, the chairman of Tamura Productions (renowned music company) and his wife Minako (a former famous idol singer) Having a talent for singing since birth, she has always loved her parents' media world. Then one day, tragedy strikes when her parents get into a horrible car accident, which kills her father, and leaves her mother in a coma. She is left in her father's best friend, Mr. Uchida's care.
Now, Eriko must take the path of singing, a path her parents did not want her to pursue. Then her uncle, Yuusuke, is out to destroy her career. But in spite of all the hardship, she becomes an idol and wins hearts all over Japan.
Idol Densetsu Eriko was adapted into Arabic, French, Italian and Spanish, but has yet to see an official English release.
Idol Densetsu Eriko contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Eriko's friend Yasuko is a Tae Kwon Do expert, and handles any fight scene that happens.
- Biker Babe: Yasuko is usually seen riding a motorcycle.
- Break the Cutie: Viga of Idols Of Anime described the show as "Break the Cutie: The Anime". In the first episode, Eriko's parents get into a car accident which kills her father and leaves her mother in a coma. That sets the tone for the rest of the series.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Eriko's uncle Yuusuke, once he gets control of his deceased brother's company. He's basically the anime version of Eric Raymond, but perhaps even worse.
- Evil Laugh: Yuusuke often does this, to remind viewers he's the bad guy.
- Idol Singer: As the title implies, the series revolves around Eriko becoming one. Also, the show was created to launch a real-life Idol Singer, Eriko Tamura.
- Ironic Name: Eriko's dogs are named Fortissimo and Pianissimo. Fortissimo is quiet and Pianissimo is noisy.
- Japanese Delinquents: Eriko's sempai Yasuko is the archetypal "tough girl", who likes fighting and motorbikes, and is mentioned to have been expelled from school.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The two main ladies, the aspirant idol singer Eriko Tamura and the already famous performer Rei Asagiri. Eriko is the Light thanks to her child-like appeal which fits well in Japanese society's obsession with cuteness and innocence and her position as a Na´ve Newcomer to the business which will make her suffer more than once, while Rei is the Dark since she's an Ice Queen with Hotter and Sexier looks, quite a bit more of singing/performing experience under her belt and a Dark and Troubled Past.
- Manipulative Bastard: Yuusuke actively manipulates people in his attempts to destroy Eriko's career.
- Ojou: Eriko is the daughter of a chairman of a large music company.
- Product Placement: Kellogg's cereal is frequently seen.
- The Rival: Rei Asagiri, Tamura Productions' established star.
- Shout-Out: The "wolfman" in episode 29 looks a lot like Totoro.
- Take This Job and Shove It: In episode 8, a bunch of Yuusuke Tamura's employees hand in their resignations, saying they can't deal with him any more. When Yuusuke tells them they won't be getting any severance pay, one of them gives him severance pay in the form of a fist to the face.
- Trauma Conga Line: In the first episode, Eriko's parents are involved in a car accident, with her father killed and her mother ending up in a coma. Things get worse from there.