Played By: Anthony Perkins (the whole film series), Henry Thomas (Young Norman in Psycho IV)
- Adorkable: An awkward, shy momma's boy... At first.
- Affably Evil: When running a motel, one needs to be a people person.
- Anti-Villain: As he notes during his conversation with Marion Crane on private traps, "I was born into mine. I don't mind it anymore".
- Bad Liar
- Being Evil Sucks
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Cartwright Curse: Connie (from Psycho IV) is the only one of Norman's love interests who escapes a tragic fate.
- Creepy Crossdresser: When his mother personality takes over.
- Cute and Psycho
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Subtly implied in the original, and flat out shown in the remake.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Father died when he was five years old, leaving him in the care of an overbearing and somewhat incestuously inclined mother, who would emotionally abuse and degrade him.
- Doom Magnet
- Driven to Madness
- Driven to Villainy
- Extreme Doormat: To his mother, who deliberately made him dependent upon her after his father's death.
- Freudian Excuse: The abuse he was subject to by his mother when he was young.
- Gollum Made Me Do It: Somewhat laughably, the last scene of the film is his mother personality plotting and scheming to blame Norman for the murders.
- Hidden Depths: Shown to be somewhat of a nihilistic philosopher during his brief interactions with Marion Crane.
- I Just Want to Be Loved
- Insane Equals Violent
- Knife Nut
- Kubrick Stare: Perhaps the most grim and soul destroying one in cinematic history.
- Loners Are Freaks
- Momma's Boy: "A boy's best fried is his mother."
- Mommy Issues
- Monster Sob Story: And one that works all too well.
- Nice Guy: When Mommy doesn't take over...
- Oedipus Complex: Norman's mother deliberately isolated her five-year-old son from the outside world and made him utterly dependent on her after Mr Bates' death. Naturally enough, the twelve-year-old, completely co-dependent Norman then reacted rather badly to her remarriage.
- The Peeping Tom
- Psychopathic Manchild
- Reluctant Psycho: In Psycho II, Psycho III and Psycho IV.
- Serial Killer
- Sex Is Evil and I Am Horny: When Norman finds himself attracted to women (such as Marion Crane), the "mother" side of his personality lashes out and seeks to rid the world of his sinful urges by means of murder.
- Split Personality: Norman and his internalized mother.
- Sweet Tooth
- Sympathetic Murderer
- Talking to Themself
- Taxidermy Is Creepy: That his mother is actually just a preserved and stuffed corpse is the great twist of the film.
- They Look Just Like Everyone Else
- Tragic Villain
- Villain Protagonist
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
Played By: Janet Leigh (in Psycho)
Lila Loomis, née Crane
Played By: Vera Miles (in Psycho and Psycho II)
Norma Bates, née Spool
Click here to see her corpse
Played By: Olivia Hussey (in Psycho IV)
Mary Samuels (real name Loomis)
Played By: Meg Tilly (in Psycho II)
Played by: Diana Scarwid (in Psycho III)
Played by: Claudia Bryar (in Psycho II)