open/close all folders
The Burns Gang
Played By: Danny Huston
"This may hurt."The much-feared eldest Burns brother who now lives in the Australian wilderness.
- Ax-Crazy: Part of what makes him so dangerous is his unpredictable nature and his capability to commit horrific acts of violence.
- Badass: Clearly the most formidable character in the movie. He's capable of killing swathes of people and it's rare that someone gets the upper hand.
- Big Bad: Of the film.
- Death Glare: He has some terrifying stares in his arsenal.
- The Dreaded: Absolutely everyone (save perhaps for his brothers) is utterly terrified of Arthur Burns, and for good reason.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Subverted, He does love his brothers at first, but becomes feels increasingly distant from them following the Hopkins murder.
- Faux Affably Evil: Arthur is soft-spoken, polite and charming. He's also capable of intense cruelty.
- Lack of Empathy: A truly repulsive example, he seems to see raping a pregnant woman to death as no different from smashing a wasp.
- Soft-Spoken Sadist: Arthur speaks in a very soft, gentle tone which makes the moments when he does something utterly demented for the sheer joy of it very disturbing.
- Warrior Poet: Arthur is well-versed in poetry.
- Wicked Cultured: He's erudite, highly intelligent, prone to contemplation of poetry, and dangerously insane.
Played By: Guy Pearce
"You touch my brother again, I'll kill you."The middle Burns brother, who breaks with Arthur following the 'Hopkins outrage'.
Played By: Richard WilsonThe mentally deficit youngest Burns brother.
Capt. Morris Stanley
Played By: Ray Winstone
"I will civilize this land."A British former soldier tasked with leading the local law enforcement.
Played By: Emily WatsonCaptain Stanley's fragile, sheltered wife.
Played By: Tom E. Lewis
"You've got the wrong fucking black man."An aboriginal man working with Arthur.
Played By: Leah Purcell
Played By: Tom BudgeAn impulsive and bloodthirsty young man with a penchant for rape.
Played By: David WenhamThe local government official and Stanley's immediate superior.
Played By: John Hurt
"Permit me to introduce myself. My name is Jellon Lamb. Citizen of the world, you might say, an adventurer, and, if I may be so bold, a man of no little education."An elderly bounty hunter on the trail of Arthur Burns.
- Badass: When a gun shoved in his face, Lamb merely knocks it away and carries on with his hammy monologue.
- Bounty Hunter: His occupation, and the reason he's hunting Arthur Burns.
- Evil Old Folks: Lamb is in his old age, but he's still a dangerous and sadistic killer.
- Laughably Evil: As horrific a human being as he might be, Lamb is remarkably entertaining.
- Large Ham: He loves to hear himself talk, speaking at length about his various observations of the world around him.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: A complete and utter racist to the core."What is an Irishman but a nigger turned inside out?"
- Wicked Cultured: He's well-read and able to quote poetry to Arthur Burns.