Characters: Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Conflict Of Interest
open/close all folders
: Only put tropes relating to what the characters do or what happens to them in this game.
Click here to see older Pearl.
- Amateur Sleuth: He’s been expressing an interest in solving crimes, seeing as he has a fingerprinting kit at his house.
- Character Tic: He still takes out his sword when he’s agitated.
- Collector of the Strange: Implied. He even has a fingerprinting kit in his house, for some reason.
- Curiosity Killed the Cast: He was bored, so he decided to hack Stranger2Love. And it DOES actually kill him in the end.
- Death by Adaptation
- Fanboy: Subverted. He may be a fan of Sir Gallante, but he does acknowledge that he’s a murderer.
- He Knew Too Much
- Killed Off for Real
- Playful Hacker: He hacked an AF account for fun. Ended up killing him.
- Punny Name/Meaningful Name: His name is a play on "code hacking", which had little to do, if anything at all with his actions in the original trilogy. However, in this game, he showed some hacking skills.
- Infant Immortality: Oh, so averted.
- Same Clothes, Different Year
- Running Gag: Her biological relationship with the Fey Family. It gets to the point where even the former master isn’t sure.
Debuted in A Turnabout Is Worth a Thousand Words
A famous pop singer, who isn't very good in writing her own music, so she started copying notes form other artist. They threatened to sue and Kylie asked the mafia for help.
Manager of Kylie Washington and also a member of the Rivales Family.
Debuted in The Rogue Turnabout
A veteran prosecutor who has been investigating the Sir Gallante killings for the past three years. He despises defense attorneys for some reason, and also appears to hold a grudge against Phoenix Wright.
The blabbermouth lead detective on the Sir Gallante investigation. He doesn’t take his job entirely seriously, and is probably more trusting than a homicide detective should be.
- Big Damn Heroes: If not for his intervention, Togamera would’ve gotten away with everything.
- Brilliant but Lazy: He did after all manage to get Webb’s Interpol ID.
- Clueless Detective: Almost as bad as Gumshoe in that regard, seeing as he gives out important details even before the trial starts. No, really. It’s not an act, he really is as clueless as he seems. He even blabbed out all details concerning the investigation of Sir Gallante to a journalist.
- The Day The Music Lied: During the second day of the trial, Gallante’s Leifmotif plays for a short while when you confront him about being Gallante. He isn’t.
- Evil Lawyer Joke: If you present the attorney’s badge to him 3 times in the 4th case.
- Greaser Delinquents: Well, he looks like one. It's a strange choice of attire for a police officer.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Becomes one to Phoenix after the events of The Rogue Turnabout. He’s more of a jerk towards Phoenix, but he still cares about finding the truth.
- Kick the Dog: Mocking Phoenix’s intelligence the day after his best friend got shot. Even Williamson admits it was unnecessary.
- Nice Guy: Despite working with the prosecution, he’s helpful towards Phoenix and Maya as he even lets them investigate the place. It doesn’t stay that way.
- Punny Name: His name is a pun on watermark.
- Red Herring: His fingerprints are on the gun along with Rivales’, he has a motive to want them all dead, and he was in the penthouse at the day of the murder. One would assume that he’s Sir Gallante… right?
- Skewed Priorities: Apparently examining the material of the desk is more important than actually examining the crime scene. Y’know, the thing that all detectives should do.
- The Slacker: He’s surprisingly carefree for a homicide detective.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Justified, seeing as Wright accused him of a murderer, which he wasn’t.
- Tsundere: Type A. Even Wright lampshades it in Turnabout Consequences
- Walking Spoiler: Not for the reasons you think.
A security guard who worked for the Michael Rivales. He has been accused of being the serial killer known as Sir Gallante.
- The Atoner: Even though he didn’t actually kill Charles Locke, he didn’t do anything to stop his death. It doesn’t come off as much of a surprise that he turns himself in at the end.
- Big "WHAT?!": Does this frequently.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: It’s rather easy to hurt his feelings. And despite of being a mafia enforcer, he never killed anyone in his all life.
- Face of a Thug: He does look like an intimidating mobster, but he’s actually more of a Gentle Giant with the shades of Manchild.
- Gentle Giant
- Meaningful Name: His name is a mix of both Bruce Wayne and Peter Parker. And he's got accused of being a vigilante superhero.
- Nice Guy: Despite being a mobster, oddly enough. And it’s revealed that he actually hated his job.
- Odd Friendship: With Virgil Black. One wouldn’t expect a mobster to hang out with a carefree hippie.
- Resignations Not Accepted: He really wanted to quit his job, but one cannot simply leave the mafia.
- Scary Black Man: Subverted. He doesn’t act like it at all.
A friend of Wayne Parker. He is unemployed because “Working’s a scam, dude.” He relies on Parker’s financial assistance to keep him from starving in the streets.
The victim’s secretary/security chief. She seems to have an unhealthy obsession with violence. Saw Parker enter the victim’s penthouse the night of the crime.
Sir Gallante / Virgil Black
A knight-themed serial killer and self-proclaimed super hero who has been killing off members of the criminal underworld for the past three years. Most information is supposed to be classified, but somebody leaked a lot of it to the public.
Debuted in Turnabout on the Web
The defendant in this case. Considers himself to be the number one fan of Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney. A bit naive and doesn't quite understand the severity of being accused of murder.
- Fan Dumb: He idolizes Phoenix to such degree, he actually disses Apollo in front of him.
- He probably is a caricature of all real-life Apollo's haters:
Books: I'm so glad you're the one defending me and not that stupid Justice guy."
Phoenix: Hey! Don't talk about him that way!
Maya: Yeah! Polly's our friend!
Books: He's a no talent failure!
Phoenix: No talent? He hasn't lost a single case!
Books: Face it, the guy fails at life!"
Phoenix: You haven't even met him. Why would you say that?!"
- Innocently Insensitive: Even though joining in the argument against Webb was a joke, it did strain their relationship. Subverted if you examine Webb's message to Mask3d_n00b.
- Shipper on Deck: He seems to ship Maya with Phoenix, much to Phoenix’s confusion.
- Significant Anagram: Edman Books → Masked Noob → Mask3d_N00b
- Steven Ulysses Perhero: His last name is Books and he works at the library.
- Terrible Artist
- There Are No Girls on the Internet: He believes in this. He’s proven wrong at the end of the case, when he meets the Woman:
Books: There ARE girls!! There are GIRLS on the INTERNET!!!
Walter Wade Webb/ Bad Player
The victim. A shady figure who never made an attempt to get to know any of his neighbors. He looks like an average guy, but he is said to be a member of Rivales Family. The part of him being a member is actually one big lie made up by Togamera. Then he turns actually to be an Interpol agent investigating the family.
An amoral coroner working for the police department. He seems to have little to no respect for the dead.
A pompous FBI agent investigating the criminal activities of the victim. Has a tendency to be overly dramatic and exaggerate things.
- Big "NO!": Also a part of his Villainous Breakdown.
- Berserk Button: Tampering with HIS case. Also, talking about Webb.
- Bold Inflation: He really likes to EMPHASIZE things.
- Cassandra Truth: He actually didn’t kill Hackins, but at this point nobody believes him.
- Catchphrase: “I’m not at liberty to discuss that.”
- Detective Mole
- Dirty Cop
- FBI Agent
- Graceful Loser: Oddly enough, despite his Villainous Breakdown.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Whenever someone disrupts HIS investigation. It’s all an act.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: If he only didn’t have PureMadness as a witness, the murder would’ve been most likely left unsolved.
- Just Following Orders: He claims this is his reason for killing Webb, as he was assigned to kill him by FBI. Subverted, because this is just yet another lie.
- It's All About Me: It’s even lampshaded by Williamson here:
Obadiah: You really don’t have any loyalty to anyone but yourself.
- Killer Cop
- Kubrick Stare
- Large Ham: When talking about Webb.
Togamera: A villain! A truly HORRENDOUS man!! The world will not mourn his passing!!
Phoenix: Was he really that bad?
Togamera: A tyrant! A dictator!! The WORST of men!!!
Phoenix: ...That bad. Got it.
- Mood-Swinger: He can somehow alternate between The Stoic and Large Ham, oddly enough. The latter is an act.
- Perpetual Frowner: He NEVER smiles. And when he doesn’t frown, he grimaces angrily.
- Sinister Shades
- The Stoic: Oddly enough, he alternates between this and Large Ham.
- The Sociopath
- Speak Ill of the Dead
- No Indoor Voice: Especially when talking about Webb.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Williamson.
- The Men in Black: He looks like one of them.
- Alternatively, his character design might've been inspired by Agents from The Matrix.
- This Cannot Be!: Part of his Villainous Breakdown.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He claims that killing Webb was necessary, since he was a threat to society. Subverted, because Webb was actually an Interpol agent who tried to expose him.
- Verbal Tic: Tends to ACCENTUATE certain words in his PHRASES to sound upper-crust, much like Florent L’Belle.
- Villainous Breakdown: He takes his glasses off, breaks them and screams.
Woman / PureMadness
A sole alleged
eyewitness to the crime.
A forty-year old man who is still living in his mother's basement and the administrator of the Ace Fanclub, better known by his username 1337aZnPrInceSz
- Anti-Villain: He did forge evidence, true. He did have his reasons for it though, as he and his mother were in danger.
- Berserk Button: Calling his anime “cartoons”.
- Cuteness Proximity: How he reacts when you show him Pearl’s profile.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: He cooperated with Family to protect his mother.
- Fanboy: Of Phoenix Wright. He even made a page dedicated to him.
- Fat Bastard: Downplayed. While he did give false testimony and forge evidence, it wasn’t like he really had a choice.
- Good Hair, Evil Hair: Being a guy obsessed with Asian culture, he wears the Fu Manchu mustache. Subverted, he isn’t evil. He did forge evidence, but he didn’t kill Walter Webb.
- Gratuitous Japanese
- Hypocrite: He claims to be a fan of Phoenix Wright and yet he lies to him and disrupts his investigation. He does have his reasons, but still.
- Karma Houdini: While he wasn’t a murderer, he never faces punishment for forging evidence. In fact, he and his mother end up under Witness Protection Program.
- Lolicon: See Cuteness Proximity. And it was the photo of Pearls when she was somewhere between 8-13 years old.
- Occidental Otaku
- OC Stand In: He’s the one that was chatting online with the chief detective in the original trilogy.
- The Pigpen: His shirt is stained in mustard and ketchup. And he’s later testifying in court. In the same shirt.
- Take That: Is a living one to otakus.
A mysterious acquaintance of Obadiah Williamson's. Seems to be taking a great interest in Nick's recent cases.
Stranger2Love/ Nathen Togamera
Debuted in Turnabout Consequences
Gladys Porter/ Makoto Fey
A rude and bitter reporter from Oh! Cult! Magazine.
A caretaker working at a home in Kurain Village and a trusted butler of Meredith Fey.
A former Master of the Kurain Channling Technique and the grandmother of Maya and Pearl. She retired beacuse her spirit powers wore off due to her old age.
- Brutal Honesty: She’s highly critical about Maya’s leadership and isn’t afraid to speak her mind.
- The Cynic: What she says about Maya says it all:
Meredith: She’s always tried to please everyone, which in our case simply is NOT possible.
- First Name Basis
- Nostalgia Filter:
Meredith: When I was Master, Kurain saw more peace and tranquility than it had in a hundred years.
- Tough Love: Implied with her relationship towards Maya.
- Parental Favoritism: Towards Pearl and Iris.
- Retired Badass: She was once a Kurain Master.
Raphael: The last great one, so would say.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She’s strict towards Maya, but surprisingly nice to Phoenix and Pearl.