Anime / Aggressive Retsuko
is anime by Sanrio
starring a red panda named Retsuko who seems cute on the outside but is filled with Suppressed Rage
at her annoying coworkers and bosses, which she deals with by singing Death Metal
. Most of the episodes are 1 minute long.
Aggressive Retsuko contains examples of
- Alliterative Name: Ape Admin, Hog Honcho, and Buffalo Boss.
- Angrish: Retsuko's enraged Death Metal voice barely sounds like Japanese at all.
- Animal Stereotypes: Hippatrica is a hyperactive and very annoying female hippo. One of Retsuko's Bosses is a fat sexist pig. Another is an ugly creepy snake woman.
- Bad Boss: Retsuko's bosses give her way too much work and are often very rude to her.
- Chainsaw Good: In one episode, an enraged Retsuko imagines herself cutting her desk in half with a chainsaw.
- Christmas Episode: Retsuko spends Christmas Eve drinking booze alone.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Some fan translations of Retsuko's songs are like this.
- Color Failure: Retsuko loses all color and her face becomes Uncanny when she is shocked by how Hippatrica poorly treated a book that Retsuko loaned to her.
- Cute, but Cacophonic: Retsuko is an adorable red panda who sings Death Metal.
- Death Metal: Retsuko sings Death Metal inside her head whenever she becomes enraged.
- A Dog Named "Dog": The subtitles give several of the characters names like this, such as Ape Admin, Hog Honcho, and Buffalo Boss.
- Double Standard: In one episode Retsuko gets enraged when she sees that one of her bosses is much nicer when correcting mistakes made by a male coworker than when correcting Retsuko's mistakes.
- Dub Name Change: For some reason, many characters in the show have their names changed in the subtitles. For example, Tsunoda's name is changed to Giselle.
- The Eeyore: In one episode, Restuko gets frustrated with an armadillo who won't stop saying bad things about herself no matter how much Retsuko tries to encourage her.
- Eyes Always Shut: Eaglette rarely opens her eyes. Because she doesn't have facial muscles, opening her eyes is the only expression she ever makes besides her neutral face.
- Frozen Face: In one episode Retsuko gets enraged that Eaglette doesn't change her facial expression when they are taking pictures of themselves making funny faces, thinking that Eaglette is acting like she is better than them, until she explains that she doesn't have facial muscles.
- Furry Reminder: Eaglette can't make facial expressions because she is a bird. Another character is a gorilla who pounds on her chest when she is excited.
- Genki Girl: Hippatrica is a very hyper hippopotamus,
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Retsuko's eyes glow when she is about to start one of her rage songs.
- Gratuitous English: Some of Retsuko's rage songs have English in them. The only word the yoga instructor ever says is "protein."
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Retsuko didn't realize that her yoga teacher was a woman until somebody in her class mentions that they are all women.
- Leitmotif: Plays whenever Retsuko becomes enraged.
- A Lizard Named "Liz": The subtitles give several characters names like this, such as Eaglette, Hippatrica, and Giselle.
- Kick the Dog: In one episode, Retsuko tries to score points with Hog Honcho by refilling his drink for him, and he tells he she is pouring the drink wrong because the label on the bottle is facing down, then he makes a very sexist comment.
- Not Listening to Me, Are You?: Natsuko Yokosawa the axolotl seems to hear very little of what Retsuko says. In one episode she keeps thinking Retsuko is on a diet despite Retsuko repeatedly telling her it isn't a diet.
- Office Lady: This anime is all about how frustrating it can be in this position.
- Overly Long Tongue: Retsuko often is shown with an exaggerated tongue when she is enraged.
- Pokémon Speak: The only word that Retsuko's yoga instructor ever says is "protein".
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: One of Retsuko's superiors is a ugly old reptilian woman who is very condescending towards her and has No Sense of Personal Space.
- Right Behind Me: In one episode Retsuko insults Hog Honcho for being a sweaty old guy, not realizing he is right behind her. When she realizes this she says she was just joking and then flatters him, which he believes.
- Screw Destiny: On New Years Day Retsuko gets a fortune predicting great misfortune. Her response is "Bring it on!"
- Seldom-Seen Species: The protagonist is a red panda. The characters also include a fennec fox and an axolotl.
- Shout-Out: Retsuko's face changes to look similar to Gene Simmons when she is enraged, with similar black marking around her eyes, and an Overly Long Tongue.
- Suppressed Rage: Retsuko regularly becomes enraged but does not show it. The audience sees her singing Death Metal about whatever enraged when this happens.
- Testosterone Poisoning: Retsuko's female yoga instructor looks and sound like a testosterone poisoned male. She even has an Adam's apple.
- The Thing That Would Not Leave: Ape Admin does this to Retsuko in one episode.
- This is for Emphasis, Bitch!: This shows up in the subtitles for one of Retsuko's songs.
- Toothy Bird: Eaglette grinds her teeth in her sleep.
- World of Funny Animals: All the characters are Funny Animals, they mostly act human aside from a few Furry Reminders
- Valentine's Day Episodes: In one episode Retsuko tries and fails to give candy to a male coworker she has a crush on for Valentine's day.
- Vocal Dissonance: Retsuko's voices changes to a very harsh male voice when she sings Death Metal.