Matthew "Matt" Riddle (born January 14, 1986) is an American professional wrestler and former mixed martial artist currently signed by WWE on its NXT brand, known for working for various indie promotions like Evolve Wrestling, Progress Wrestling and Pro Wrestling Guerilla (PWG). Starting out on The Ultimate Fighter with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), he became known for knocking out Dan Simmler, a fellow MMA fighter, by hitting him in the jaw three times and breaking it in two places, which was called "the knockout of the century" by Quinton Jackson and "the biggest knockout in Ultimate Fighter history" by Dana White. He had a fairly successful career in UFC with 8 wins, 3 losses and 2 no contests before getting released from the company in 2013 after testing positive for marijuana twice.
In 2014, however, his popularity arguably skyrocketed when he started his Professional Wrestling career training in Monster Factory. He signed with WWN in 2016 and began working with Evolve, gaining fame for his hard-hitting style, sheer strength and lack of shoes. He debuted for PWG in the 2016 Battle of Los Angeles Tournament, being beaten in the first round by Kyle O'Reilly. He is a former Progress Wrestling Atlas Champion and the inaugural WWN Champion.
- Arch-Enemy: Outside of Kayfabe, he really doesn't like Dana White. The feeling's mutual.
- Agony of the Feet: His bare feet have been subjected to biting by Tommaso Ciampa, toe snapping by Marty Scurll, a foot superkick by The Young Bucks and many more.
- Beware the Silly Ones: He looks laid back, talks like a stoner, and doesn't even wear shoes into the ring, but he will knock the fuck out of you. Just ask Kassius Ohno, who Riddle took exactly seven seconds to knee in the face and pin.
- Blood Knight: Riddle may come off as relaxed and even mellow outside the ring, but he definitely relishes a good fight. His expression and demeanor noticeably change once the bell rings, and he can be focused, even borderline sadistic.
- Breakup Breakout: After being released from UFC, most didn't expect Matt to become one of the most popular independent wrestlers in the world.
- Call-Back: The Bromission, which is an actual submission move used in MMA, might be one to Matt's MMA career. His lack of shoes is also one, as MMA forbids the use of footwear in their matches, as well as his logo-littered trunks.
- Calling Your Attacks: "BRO! TO! SLEEP!" (cue knee to the face)
- Crowd Chant:
- "BRO! BRO! BRO! BRO!"
- The chorus to 'Gold' by Spandau Ballet, with "bro" replacing every syllable possible.
- Curb-Stomp Battle:
Jim Smallman: The winner of this match, by virtue of knocking Trent Seven the fuck out! MATT! RIDDLE!
- Against Trent Seven in the first round match of the Super Strong Style 16 tournament for Progress Wrestling. After Trent cut a promo on Matt "not being able to cut it in UFC or NXT", then calling him a "pussy", Matt hit him with a devastating running knee and pinned him for the 3-count. The match lasted for a grand total of six seconds.
- The exact same thing happened to Kassius Ohno on Riddle's first match on NXT Takeover: Wargames II.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Justified as being accustomed to fight that way in MMA and as a way of keeping a better grip on the mat. Also ruthlessly Exploited by some of his more pragmatic opponents.
- Expy: Has been compared to a young Kurt Angle, both of them having made the switch to professional wrestling extremely well from their respective sports (amateur wrestling for Kurt, MMA for Matt).
- Finishing Move: The Bromission, a painful-looking submission more commonly known as the Twister. Recently, he has started using a Go To Sleep variation that he calls... the Bro To Sleep. He has also been known to oneshot opponents with a good, hard Busaiku Knee.
- Fratbro: Pretty much his whole persona.
- Happily Married: With three kids.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Most tapouts in WWE come via submission hold - and Riddle has a fair few of these in his repertoire, including his Finishing Move. Occasionally, though, Riddle's striking has been so devastating and vicious that he's won matches simply by punching and elbowing the holy hell out of a grounded opponent until they submitted or the ref stopped the match.
- No-Sell: Part of his comeback offence. Unlike other examples, it doesn't always work.
- Kung Fu-Proof Mook: Whatever you do, do not German Suplex Matt Riddle. You will regret it.
- Red Baron: "Deep Waters" in MMA, "The King of Bros" and "The Original Bro" in pro wrestling.
- The Rival: Totally one-sided, but Matt is laser-focused on someday ending Brock Lesnar's career.
- Rummage Sale Reject: His way of wearing a suit also involves him wearing a baseball cap and slippers.
- The Stoner: Subverted. He looks and talks like one, but his wrestling ability has not been affected in the slightest. In an interview, he stated that he uses marijuana for medical reasons, and has a license for it.
- Tag Team: With Jeff Cobb as The Chosen Bros.
- Wrestling Monster: A truly bizarre comedy face version as of his run on NXT. Despite being a picture-perfect, weeded-out stoner, Matt almost never loses and is taken deadly seriously by everyone on the roster except heels with a death wish.