Martin "Marty" Scurll (born 26 July 1988) is an English professional wrestler currently wrestling for Pro Wrestling Guerilla (PWG), Ring of Honor, New Japan Pro-Wrestling and What Culture Pro Wrestling. As Party Marty, he would form the tag team "Leaders of the New School" with Zack Sabre Jr in IPW: UK and win their tag team championships in 2009. He wrestled briefly for TNA in their British Boot Camp series between 2012 and 2013.
However, Marty is best known for his current gimmick as "The Villain", a Penguin-esque super-villain with a stylish fur coat, an umbrella and a mean streak a mile wide. He was a Danish Pro Wrestling Light Heavyweight Champion, a DDT Pro-Wrestling Ironman Heavymetalweight Champion, an IPW: UK British Cruiserweight Champion, was the last WCPW champion and following their re-branding became the 1st Defiant Wrestling champion, the first-ever two-time Progress Wrestling World Champion, an ROH Television Champion and the winner of the 2016 Battle of Los Angeles tournament in PWG.
As of ROH War of the Worlds 2017, the Villain is the newest member of Bullet Club (and its elite), joining as Adam Cole's replacement after he was (super)kicked from the stable. However, he, along with the rest of the members of The Elite, were viciously ejected from the stable by the Guerrillas of Destiny at NJPW's G1 Special in San Francisco event in 2018. Marty continued in The Elite until he left it to found his own faction in Ring of Honor called "Villain Enterprises".
In 2020 Scurll was made one of the head bookers of Ring of Honor and tasked with rejuvenating the promotion. However, following a wave of sexual misconduct allegations in late 2020, Marty Scurll parted ways with the company, leaving his future career uncertain.
ONE! TWO! WHOOP! WHOOP!
- Animal Motifs: Birds. His current finisher has a bird-related name, he sometimes wears a bird mask when entering the ring and one of his taunts is to flap his arms like a bird, as silly as that sounds.
- Arch-Enemy: Will Ospreay. Marty took the Progress World Championship from Will at Progress Chapter 25; since then, the two have had phenomenal matches in promotions like WCPW, Rev Pro, wXw and New Japan's Best Of The Super Juniors tournament.
- Badass Longcoat: Wears a frilly white coat and carries a white umbrella.
- Beard of Evil: Sports a well groomed, stylish evil goatee.
- Boring Yet Practical: His finisher as the "Villain". The Crossface Chickenwing is considered by many newer fans to be a boring and old-fashioned move, yet it's perfectly capable of putting away anybody.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Aside from the fact that it's his Red Baron, sportsmanship, and indeed "honor" are not what he's about. Feeling the ROH promotion was lacking in misdeeds, he set out start a "reign of wickedness".
- One of his signature spots involving him grabbing an opponent's finger and snapping it like a toothpick. It serves no greater purpose other than to be a phenomenal dick.
- Catchphrase: In his Youtube promos, he often uses some variation of "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain" from The Dark Knight.
- "Hush little baby, don't say a thing. Marty's gonna break you with the chickenwing!"
- Calling Your Attacks: Before he locks in his finishing move, Marty almost always leads the crowd in a rallying cry of "CHICKENWING!" He also has a habit of shouting "Superkick!" whenever he uses that move.
- Of The Penguin, obviously. Umbrella? Check. Fancy sense of style? Check. British? Check. He even occasionally wears a white (or black) Plague Doctor-style beak mask that bears a resemblance to a penguin's beak for his entrances.
- His "greed is humanity" vignette and the fact that he likes to wear tea shades and a fur coat unintentionally make him a darker one of Greed the Avaricious.
- Commuting on a Bus: Works for Progress Wrestling, Ring of Honor, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla and Defiant Wrestling.
- Evil Laugh: Comes with being the One True Villain.
- Eviler than Thou: Attempted against Adam Cole and Bullet Club, saying it would be his great pleasure to keep the gold that fuels their merchandise empire out of their reach indefinitely. Then the storylines played out through The Elite's YouTube channel culminated in an ROH ring with him replacing and helping fire Adam Cole from the Bullet Club. Not a subversion, since the rest of the Club still acknowledges him as being a special case of villainy and evil.
- FaceHeel Turn: After his match with Kris Travis at Chapter Twenty-One (also Travis' final match before retiring from wrestling and passing away), Party Marty turned into one of the most sadistic characters in professional wrestling.
- Fingore: One of Marty's more common match spots is to, very convincingly, snap his opponent's fingers (usually accompanied by an exaggerated sell). Ouch.
- Finishing Move:
- As Party Marty, the Graduation (a Swinging Butterfly Suplex) and the Party's Over (an Argentine Rack dropped into a Double Knee Backbreaker).
- As The Villain, the Crossface Chickenwing. As of 2017, he's also started using an Inverted Crucifix transitioned into an Emerald Flowsion called the Bird of Prey.
- Foreshadowing: The Eviler than Thou above in which Scurll was seemingly against the Bullet Club was contradicted by two important details. For starters, despite their popularity, the Bullet Club are still heels prone to dastardly measures, and building a merchandise empire is certainly not a goal exclusive to heroes. Scurll, also a popular and very much Card-Carrying Villain, would more likely want to join than impede such a ship. And indeed, Scurll had already started being featured in the Elite's YouTube storylines surrounding the mistrust between Kenny Omega and Adam Cole, appearing as a close friend of The Young Bucks and exposing Cole's secret of having poisoned one of Nick Jackson's drinks.
- For the Evulz: According to this interview, the reason why Marty enjoys snapping people's fingers so much is because "The Villain gets off on the idea of disgusting the crowd and telling the crowd to keep the noise down while he's doing it...that makes him a little bit sicker so he enjoys that he sickened the crowd."
- Fur and Loathing: Wears a fancy fur coat for his entrances and is, well, The Villain.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: His Wrestle Kingdom 12 entrance has him coming out with black wings, the announcers calling them made up of all the fingers he's broken.
- Leitmotif: The "WHOOP! WHOOP!" from his old entrance theme shows up in his current one.
- Cool Shades: Wears tea shades for his entrances. Seems to have ditched that in recent years in favour of a plague doctor's mask.
- Parasol of Pain: Marty has often used his umbrella as a bludgeoning weapon. Also another reference to the Penguin.
- Power Stable: (Formerly) a member of the Bullet Club. In Wrestling/Ring of Honor he is the leader of Villain Enterprises, comprising of himself, Brody King, PCO and "The Mercenary" Flip Gordon.
- Plague Doctor: His bird mask gives him this vibe.
- Red Baron: The (One True) Villain, The Brill Bruiser.
- Sinister Shades: Part of his signature outfit. Wearing them is a crucial part of getting ready for matches if you're Scurll.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Despite (or because of) flaunting his villainous attitude everywhere he goes, he's quickly become one of the most popular wrestlers in the English-speaking wrestling world (and has gotten more than a fair share of fans in Japan as well).
- We Used to Be Friends: Established with Nick Aldis, when the two went over their history and teased entering the Crockett Cup tag team tournament in 2019 only for Scurll to instead challenge Aldis for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship.
- White Mask of Doom: A jagged bird mask.
- Wicked Cultured: You can't deny, Marty has quite a bit of class. Fine suits and fancy umbrellas comprise his outfit of choice outside the ring.