The Bagel and Becky Show (sometimes just called Bagel and Becky) is a wacky but short-lived Canadian cartoon produced by Radical Sheep Productions (The Big Comfy Couch, Fangbone!) in association with Jam Filled Entertainmentnote . Created by Canadian artist Dave Cooper (also known for creating Nickelodeon's 2015 series Pig Goat Banana Cricket), the series is the Animated Adaptation of a children's storybook called Bagel's Lucky Hat that Cooper himself wrote under the Pen Name of Hector Mumbly. The show only ran for a single season of 26 episodes on Teletoon from November 2016 to March 2017, with production on the series being funded by Teletoon and BBC Worldwide.
The show follows the eponymous BrotherSister Team, who are an energetic and dimwitted dog named Bagel and an intelligent and cautious cat named Becky (voiced by Canadian comedians Kevin McDonald and Nikki Payne respectively). Every day after one of their (human) mom's delicious pancake breakfasts, the two go outside for adventures in their neighborhood of Awkward Hills, where they're joined by their neurotic friend, Percy the Pigeon, and encounter the various equally eccentric denizens of the town, including their gopher and squirrel rivals Loaf and Lisa, the malevolent but poorly-disguised extraterrestrial mayor Torgo, elderly robotic mad scientist Old Man Jenkinsbot, and the greedy explorer duo Argentina and Phillipe. But whatever kind of hijinks Bagel and Becky get into, it can always be guaranteed that bizarre happenings and deranged shenanigans that can only be seen to be believed are bound to ensue.
The Bagel And Becky Show contains examples of:
- Acrophobic Bird: Percy, being the nervous wreck he is, is terrified of flying, despite being a pigeon.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: Argentina and Phillipe are somewhat villainous examples of this, as they will go to any lengths to discover something before Bagel and Becky do.
- Animated Adaptation: Of the children's picture book Bagel's Lucky Hat.
- Author Appeal: Many visual elements of the show are common to Dave Coopers art, such as large voluptuous women resembling the main duos mother
- Balloon Belly: Bagel after Becky sprays a ton of whip cream into his mouth, but he soon deflates, out both ends.
- BrotherSister Team: Bagel And Becky.
- Christmas Every Day: The episode "The 12 Quadrillion Days of Christmas". This was very clearly Played for Laughs. However, since the show has Negative Continuity, don't expect this to be referenced in a future Christmas Episode.
- Deranged Animation: This series can be very wacky, resulting in some truly bizarre and nonsensical things happening on screen.
- Dogs Are Dumb: Bagel isn't the smartest guy around and often causes trouble with his stupidity,.
- Dogs Love Fire Hydrants: Bagel can't resist peeing on one, even when it's cursed, even after he just dealt with the curse already and has to go again.
- The Eponymous Show and Name and Name: The show's title is a combination of these two tropes.
- Evil Old Folks: Old Man Jenkinsbot is an elderly friend of Bagel and Becky who also happens to be a robot evil genius.
- The Face of the Sun: The Sun is depicted in the show as having a face.
- "Fantastic Voyage" Plot: The episode "Becky On The Inside" has Bagel and Percy shrink themselves down to microscopic size and go into Becky's body to fight her cold and flu germs.
- Feud Episode: "Blood Is Thicker Than Water, but Thinner Than Pancakes" has this between the titular characters over the last pancake.
- Female Feline, Male Mutt: Bagel is a male dog, and Becky is a female cat.
- Furry Reminder: Show Becky a laser dot, she'll chase it.
- Grossout Show: The series contains elements of this, with its occasional usage of gross humor and visuals.
- Hugh Mann: Between his green skin and Hulk Speak, Torgo doesn't do a good job of coming off as human. Yet, Becky is the only one who can see through his disguise.
- Hulk Speak: Torgo has very limited syntax.
- Only Sane Man: Becky, most of the time. Percy can be this sometimes, like in "Hairball" where he's the only one who sees how gross the new sport Bagel and Becky invented is.
- Overly Long Gag: Bagel peeing on the cursed ancient Egyptian fire hydrant goes on so long that Becky has to question his health.Becky: That doesn't seem healthy...
- Random Species Offspring: Bagel and Becky are cat and dog siblings with a human mother.
- Speech Impediment: Becky speaks with a strong lisp.
- Time Travel Episode: The episode "It Ain't Easy Bein Grease". Bagel and Becky end up spinning a Merry-Go-Round so fast that they travel back in time to the primordial ooze.
- Too Spicy for Yog-Sothoth: Bagel can't stay eaten for long.
- Trademark Favourite Food: Bagel and Becky both love their pancakes and always have them for breakfast.