Released in 2015 on the Nintendo 3DS, Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer is the first retail spinoff of the life simulation series Animal Crossing. In it, you play as a home decorator. The goal of the game is to design houses for the various villagers and other NPCs who ask for your services.
Happy Home Designer is compatible with special Animal Crossing amiibo cards that when scanned enable new villager requests for you and allow other villagers to visit the house where you just decorated at for a house party.
- The Bus Came Back: While they made their main series comeback in the Welcome amiibo update for New Leaf, Happy Home Designer does return 4 villagers that were previously exclusive to the first game, which are Carrie the kangaroo, Louie the gorilla, Claude the rabbit, and Maddie the dog. (The latter 3 are limited DLC)
- Character Customization: For the first time in the series, you can chose to be a skin colour other than the default light-skinned. The game foregoes the typical Animal Crossing customization quiz and just lets you chose your design at the start.
- Downloadable Content: DLC characters include Filly, a Normal Horse with a 7-Eleven theme (or just a convenience store theme in international versions), and a Felyne.
- Game-Breaking Bug: In most cases of scanning incompatible amiibo, the game will simply tell you the amiibo isn't compatible. However, scanning the RV cards from New Leaf will crash the game- apparently the game recognizes that it's an Animal Crossing series card but can't figure out what to do with the nonexistent character.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: K.K Slider's casual outfit in Happy Home Designer and Welcome amiibo (as well as his 3rd costume in amiibo Festival) has him wearing his DJ hat and a long-sleeved green-and-white striped shirt.
- An Interior Designer Is You: The whole point of Happy Home Designer to decorate people's houses using wallpaper, flooring, decorations, and furniture.
- Justified Tutorial: The game teaches you the mechanics of the game through your first client.
- Nephewism: Happy Home Designer introduces Lottie, Lyle's niece.
- New Work, Recycled Graphics: Happy Home Designer reuses most of the assets from New Leaf.
- Token Human: As always, you star as a human amongst Funny Animals.