Jason's (Efron) grandmother has just passed away, leaving behind his grandfather Dick (De Niro). He asks Jason to drive him down to Florida as a personal favor, despite currently being overwhelmed with wedding planning. It turns out that this trip to Florida is actually a Quest for Sex, since Dick is now single and free for the first time in decades, Hilarity Ensues as Jason tries to keep his grandfather in line, while keeping the whole thing hidden from his Control Freak fiancee, Meredith.
Not to be confused with Bad Grandpa.
- Acquainted with Emergency Services: The local drug dealer and surf shop owner Pam has a very buddy-buddy relationship with the police, implying that he's had a great number of encounters with them. They imprison him for selling coke, but let him go because he needs to open up his store, even allowing him to take the drugs they confiscated with him.
- Anything That Moves: Lenore is extremely forward with Dick. She mentions early on that having sex with a college professor (or any old guy, really) is a bucket list item of hers.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Meredith. For the most of the movie, she is high strung and somewhat controlling, but otherwise seems okay enough. After Jason's announces that the marriage is off at the wedding rehearsal, she coldly reveals to his entire family that she slept with his cousin Nick while Jason was with Dick.
- Butt-Monkey: Jason, the whole movie is basically an exercise in his constant humiliation and being mistreated by most of the people he meets.
- False Reassurance:
- Gag Penis: Dick wakes Jason up one morning by sticking it in his face.
- Henpecked Husband: Jason is well on his way to becoming one. Dick helps him come to his senses and break things off with Meredith at the end.
- Humiliation Conga: Pretty much the entire first half of the movie is this to Jason. In particular, the party where he accidentally smokes crack and the aftermath the next day.
- Karma Houdini: Pam, who openly admits to selling drugs any time he is on screen and is last seen driving a police car that the police willingly gave to him, and Nick, Jason's stoner cousin who slept with his Jason's fiancee while he was with his grandfather.
- Likes Older Men: Lenore, Up to Eleven. While having foreplay with Dick, she asks him to say 'I can't find my glasses' and 'Buttons on remotes are too small'.
- Manchild: Jason's obnoxious, drug-abusing cousin Nick. He actually pours beer on top of their grandmother's casket as a toast to her.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: After Jason wakes up on a beach wearing nothing but a Charlotte Hornets codpiece, a curious little kid tries to play with it, and his father sees. It only gets worse from there.
- Ms. Fanservice: Aubrey Plaza as Lenore. From very short shorts to a tiny blue bikini.
- Naked on Arrival: When Jason first picks up his grandpa, he finds him naked on the recliner having A Date with Rosie Palms.
- Police Are Useless: The two cops who pick up Jason after the Mistaken for Pedophile incident above. Not only are they both colossal jerks, but they let Pam go multiple times, despite him constantly talking about how he has drugs, and after letting him off for being involved with the huge car chase at the end of the movie, they let him take their police car.
- Quest for Sex: Dick intends for his trip to Florida to be this, seeing it as his last chance to feel young and free after his wife's passing.
- Rich Bitch: Meredith is a major Control Freak and seems to be from a pretty well-off family.
- Second Love: Dick ends up marrying Lenore and having a son with her.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Dick has some very colorful, creative names for Jason, and the very effeminate car that Meredith loaned out to them.
- Would Hit a Girl: One of the gang members threatens Shadia when she tries to stop them from jumping Bradley.